HTPC build help

neotrism

Disciple
Please answer the following questions for others to help you out better. Delete whatever you feel is not required.

1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 20 k
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model) NONE
  1. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1. Monitor - AOC 19 inch ... will connect it to 40 inch sony bravia later .
  2. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. CPU - AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260 Processor
    2. Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M LE Motherboard
    3. GPU - [font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
      Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card​
      [/font]

4. [font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
      RAM -​
      [/font]
      Corsair DDR3 2 GB (1 x 2 GB) PC RAM (VS2GB1333D3)
    5. SMPS - [font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
      Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU​
      [/font]

6. [font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
      Cabinet -​
      [/font]
      [font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
      Cooler Master Elite 360 Mini Tower Cabinet​​
      [/font]

7. [font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
      Optical Drive -​
      [/font]
      LG GH22NS70 Internal Optical Drive
    8. TV tuner - AverMedia AVer EZMAKER SDK (V1A8) TV Tuner Card
    9. Remote - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Microsoft-MCE-Remote-Control-USB-IR-Receiver-win7-Vista-/220663690358 or http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-HP-MCE-REMOTE-CONTROL-USB-IR-RECEIVER-IR-Emitter-/350361473901
  3. [font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
    ​​
    [/font]
    Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component none
  4. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer) Bangalore sp road or flipkart
  5. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. Yes
  6. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. HTPC
    2. Watching HD movies
    3. Gaming - occasional FPS ( counter strike or COD )
  7. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. would prefer AMD based rig ....
  8. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. Gaming - occasional FPS ( counter strike or COD )

9. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1280x728
    2. Desktop - 1440x900
  10. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. Yes
  11. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows 7 64 bit
    2. Linux - ubuntu with xbmc

Also suggest a good 5.1 setup ...

F & D 6000 Vs Edifier DA5000 pro Vs [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Altec Lansing 5.1 FX5051E 8000[/font]

Would suggest to go for a AMD A6 combo. A guy here on TE was selling the combo of A55 mobo + A6 proccessor. Just ensure that you pair it up with DDR3-1600 RAM at the very least.

i guess those boards wouldn be upgradable in case i need to ??? wouldn the athlon + gfx give a better performance than A6 ???

True discrete graphics and the Athlon II processor will perform better at gaming, but as you are doing an HTPC build I strongly recommend you the Llano path because --
  • overall TDP wil be higher.
  • If you want to do moderate gaming a better buy would be an Intel Core i3 + HD 7750 at the least and this will raise costs.
  • If you can wait for a month OR two wait for AMD Trinity to release and build your RIG on that platform.

If you cannot hold your purchase plans, best get the following --

AMD A8-3850 ~6900/- OR AMD A6-3650 ~5900/- + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ~2200/- OR get a small form factor cooler on the lines of the Cooler Master Gemini series.

ASUS FM1A75-M ~4500/- +

G.Skill RIPJAWS OR Corsair XMS3 4GB x2 ~3400/- [if you cannot get this much RAM, get a 2GB x2 1600MHz kit because the AMD Llano IGP reacts well to added bandwidth for its performance --> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-llano,2975-6.html / http://www.anandtech.com/show/4476/amd-a83850-review/4 / http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1622545]

Cooler Master eLite 360 ~2500/-

Cooler Master GX450W ~3000/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB ~5500/-

LG / Samsung OEM DVD drive ~1000/-

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

#[member='ALPHA17']

He doesn't really needs a cpu cooler. AMD coolers aren't that bad even to tackle stock clock. Moreover OP is not at all a performance user, so revving hard, hardly matters, thus the cooler requirement.

Also, he can opt for corsair cx430v2 & save some more bucks. Its on par with the one you suggested.

Yes CX430V2 or Seasonic S12ii 430W-3k is good enough for op,don't know much about stock cooling but if op's going hard on ocing then CM Hyper 212 Evo is good to get.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Yes

Well #[member='JuGGa'] this is why I had asked OP to get a Cooler Master Gemini OR better vortex type cooler.

#[member='Jakob'] the issue is he is buying a Cooler Master eLite 360 HTPC type cabinet, it does not have the vertical clearance to allow OP to put a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. That is why I asked him to get a Gemini II.

Hope this explains my stand, Cheers!!

^Missed the OC part
<
sorry

Thanks for the input guys ... will try to finalise the rig ... one question though ... are there no amd equivalents to Intel core i3 in terms of TDP vs performance for mild gaming ??

Need some help with the TV tuner card as well ... will be using the cable connection in Mangalore , can the graphics card output the video of the tv tuner card through the HDMI along with the sound or will i have to connect the tv tuner card to the tv with co-axial cable ??

Suggestions for a wireless keyboard cum touchpad ... how about http://www.flipkart.com/logitech-k400-wireless-keyboard/p/itmd8b535w3vrcge?pid=ACCD7Q5HTGGH3URC&_l=rD_9HFvvcLB6E9tLUtyoAQ--&_r=tP3rn0OhcuOUgA4IqYEf3Q--&ref=068af864-5d3d

And regarding OCing ...will do it only if its going to improve the gaming drastically ... i don't think i'll need to OC for the HTPC purposes ...

As for the reason to go the Llano way ... i don't mind the TDP ... it wont be on the whole day , and definitely not a 24x7 download rig ... so would like to have a discrete CPU and graphics card for more flexibility...

Thanks for the input guys ... will try to finalise the rig ... one question though ... are there no amd equivalents to Intel core i3 in terms of TDP vs performance for mild gaming ??

No.

And regarding OCing ...will do it only if its going to improve the gaming drastically ... i don't think i'll need to OC for the HTPC purposes ...

It won't help drastically.

As for the reason to go the Llano way ... i don't mind the TDP ... it wont be on the whole day , and definitely not a 24x7 download rig ... so would like to have a discrete CPU and graphics card for more flexibility...

Then go the Llano way. Nevertheless Llano is best when building HTPC like this. Its a good blend of CPU + GPU power.

Back