Budget 21-30k HTPC + Gaming rig upgrade

fistea

Disciple

Have an old desktop rig connected to my 32" as a gaming +HTPC @ 1080p resolution via vga and 3.5mm cable.

Its quite old now (original setup in Dec 07) and I want to upgrade it. I have the old monitor and wired keyboard/mouse which i use sparingly with my laptop. I have gone through the recent threads on upgrades/fresh builds, wanted some more inputs.

I have a call to take between selling/giving away the rig and building a fresh one or cannibalizing the existing dabba.
and keeping the monitor/keyboard/mouse

Primary use would be as a HTPC and as a gaming rig with the TV with the wireless keyboard/mouse.
Im in Mumbai. This will probably be the last upgrade to the system.

1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 20-30k,

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    1. CPU - Intel C2D E4400 2.2Ghz
    2. Motherboard - Intel 945GCNL
    3. GPU - XFX nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    4. RAM - Transcend ram 2x1gb 666 Mhz
    5. Monitor - Viewsonic 19"
    6. SMPS - Zebronics z600W / have an old generic smps which i replaced for more sata connecters
    7. Keyboard - wired Iball set + logitech wireless mk250
    8. X-Tech generic cabinet
    9. HDD- have enough to cover my requirements
    10. DVD writer- lg

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1. SMPS - Yes ( have the old one as a spare, just in case)
    2. GPU - Depends on cost of suggested/new graphic card
    3. Wireless keyboard/mouse
    4. Old Monitor - Yes (Unless selling the entire desktop makes sense)

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. CPU - Intel i5 3450
    2. Motherboard - Gigabyte D75m b3h - heard good things about this motherboard, but doesn't have optical out as a port to feed my amp, also would prefer hdmi out
    3. [FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]GPU - (Can hold on to existing GPU card, or buy a new one)[/FONT][FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif] [/FONT]
    4. RAM - Corsair 1600 MHz 4gb X1/ X2
    5. Cabinet (not looking to plunk too much cash here, any decent brand will do
    6. DVD writer (last time i used one was in 2009, so dont really need it)

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    1. [FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]Will [/FONT][FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]definitely[/FONT][FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif] bring RAM to 8gb [/FONT]
    2. Graphic card, if I dont upgrade now.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Mumbai
    2. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. Would prefer new, but open to second hand.

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. Gaming
    2. Browsing
    3. HTPC
    4. Download rig, 24x7 operation
    5. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. As long as brand/after sales service is good, im fine with anything.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. Mainly FPS, and action adventure, some racing
    2. Borderlands 2, Batman - AC are the current ones

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming / Desktop - 1920x1080

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. Yes/No - Havent done it before, but yes.

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows 7 64 bit
    2. [FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]Very ,Very remote possibility of booting linux/hackintosh[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.[/FONT]

@fistea if you can sacrifice over-clocking this will be the configuration I recommend --
Intel Core i3 3220 ~7500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/- OR ASUS P8H77-M PRO ~9000/-
Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3600/-
AMD HD7770GHz edition ~9500/- (OR hold onto your 8800GT till it is functional and till then save for a better graphics card)
HP (boxed) optical drive ~1000/- (how will you install OS and play DVD's later friend)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4500/-
Corsair CX v2430W ~2700/- (change your Zebronics SMPS for this ASAP)
Cooler Master eLite 361 ~2500/-
APC BR650VA-IN ~2800/-
use your 32" TV as a monitor and HTPC set-up

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @ALPHA17 !, you're as prompt as always.

I'm not too keen on o/c, as long as the rig holds for 2-3 years, I'll be fine.

not to sound brash, but any particular reason for strong recommendation on zebronics replacement? is it unreliable?
Also, I havent seen many people use UPS here. is it a precautionary measure or is it required to function?

Apart from o/c, any other tradeoff on the i3 3220 vs i5 3450 ?

not to sound brash, but any particular reason for strong recommendation on zebronics replacement? is it unreliable?
Also, I havent seen many people use UPS here. is it a precautionary measure or is it required to function?

Apart from o/c, any other tradeoff on the i3 3220 vs i5 3450 ?

The Zebronics SMPS are some of the most overrated pieces in the market, unreliable and unsafe for your components.

I have seen one of my friends loose a workstation class graphics card and a hard-drive to the vagaries of this very SMPS, Zebronics Platinum 600W. That is why I warn you to avoid it.

The UPS is a precaution not a necessity but if power-cuts are the norm where you stay then I suggest that you keep one handy and it works as another line of defence against electrical hubris.

Even the Core i5 3450 cannot be over-clocked, the main disadvantage with the Core i3 is that it is not a true-quad core but a dual-core with hyper-threading. But overall gaming performance and day to day tasks are performed with the same alacrity by both processors (give OR take ~5 -->15 seconds) so I see no reason to go with the Core i5 when the Core i3 will manage the coming years without issues and consume lesser energy to boot.

Update: What cheap SMPS can do to your system -- Search for Death of a Gutless Wonder -- Johnny Guru on Google.

Today's review sample illustrates perfectly why you should not trust that lightweight gray box that came with your $20 case. Not only is it a poor performer, but a dangerous one that could kill anything plugged into it. It now bears the dubious distinction of being the worst unit I have ever tested that didn't come bearing a name with "max" somewhere in it.

People, people, people... just take $50-75 and buy a decent power supply. It will pay for itself by not making you pay for a new.... well, everything else.

Thanks @ALPHA17, will definitely get the psu now. a;ready have run thtough a total one.

Also, I wanted to ask, do you have a suggestion for a motherboard which fits the requirement for usb3,hdmi, and optical out (b75 d3h doesnt have optical out)
Im pretty sure ill be doing it this weekend, if not earlier :)

Thanks @ALPHA17, will definitely get the psu now. a;ready have run thtough a total one.

Also, I wanted to ask, do you have a suggestion for a motherboard which fits the requirement for usb3,hdmi, and optical out (b75 d3h doesnt have optical out)
Im pretty sure ill be doing it this weekend, if not earlier :)

For optical out your only option are these --
  • Intel DH67-BL ~5500/- (you will have to forego front USB 3.0 ports though)
  • Intel DH77-KV ~6500/-

Back