PC Peripherals Hynix 256MB 266mhz and 512MB 400mhz don't gel well

superczar

Skilled
my 512 MB Hynix DDR 400 stick and 256 MB Hynix DDR266 stick don't eem to be
liking each other.....
With both plugged in, the system shows only 512 MB memory on startup.....
I tested themm individually and the 512 MB stick works fine.....
Weird thing is that the 256 MB stick works fine in one of the slots, but when I put it in the other DIMM slot, the system refuses to boot ....it starts giving out a series of incessant beeps......
The mobo is a Gigabyte Via chipset Mobo with a 33mhz FSB.....
Now I was thinking of gng out and buying anothe r 512 Hynix DDR 400 stick but am worried what if i get a similar error.....
Any ideas?

difference in frequency......when using 2 rams both should b frm same company..and same settings(frequency)...i guess

umm..not necessarily.....I have tried a DDR266 with DDR333 combo, that too different makes on my notebook, and used to work fine.....

Same model and same frequency is necessary only to run the modules in dual-channel. Did u try the 512 meg module in the DIMM in which the 256 does not work ?

superczar said:
umm..not necessarily.....I have tried a DDR266 with DDR333 combo, that too different makes on my notebook, and used to work fine.....

True, I used to use a Corsair 512 DDR400 and Transcend 256MB DDR333 on my old nforce2 and it used to work fine. Of course, both sticks would run at DDR333 but no problems whatsoever.

How many slots does your motherboard have? If you have only two and neither of the sticks run in the other slot then it's the slot that's causing the problem and not the memory. In which case, your new 512MB stick that you plan on buying won't work either.

If you have only two and neither of the sticks run in the other slot then it's the slot that's causing the problem and not the memory. In which case, your new 512MB stick that you plan on buying won't work either.

Of course Saar :eek:hyeah:...I am not as dumb as i sound at times ;)

the 512 Meg works just fine in bot slots, which is why I find this whole problem intriguing, as why should the 256 give issues with 1 slot....I tired all 4 possible combinations, and teh system snever shows more than 512 meg

Back