I are poor

Checksum

Skilled
So finally, i managed to drag myself to ritchie street, and got these :

Intel D201GLY - 3400
Seagate 250gb hdd 310AS - 2850
Transcend 512 ddr2667 - 600
Some make 450w mini smps - 600

Thanks to superczar's NASSeedBoxMan :p for the idea. As per rule, here are a few pics.

Have been working on setting it up for 6 hours at a stretch. Am too tired to type out anything now. More details later! Cheers :hap2:

I is happy for you. But is sad that mobo has no S-Video out. I would ask you to ship me one if it did. Congrats. How come you took six hours to set it up? Post full setup and application pls.

Holy potty! thats CHEAP. I was expecting it to be a bit more than that :p Couldn't you find anything less than 450W. Are there any of those 60-120W's mini-PSUs available here?

Suggestions -> Larger USB flash drive(4/8GB) instead of the HDD. Even less of a power consumer then and it'll be quieter with close to no moving parts. What temps? If its cool enough, maybe a larger heatsink instead of the fan?? I am SOOO looking forward to setting one of these up as my download rig, after the gaming machine upgrade that is! :hap2:

Larger USB flash drive(4/8GB) instead of the HDD. Even less of a power consumer then and it'll be quieter with close to no moving parts. What temps? If its cool enough, maybe a larger heatsink instead of the fan?? I am SOOO looking forward to setting one of these up as my download rig, after the gaming machine upgrade that is!

And the point being?

if it's a d/l rig, he'll need a large HDD anyway ...

what point jacking up the costs with the flash /SSD drive when he needs that large HDD for downloading/media serving?

Sangram said:
I is happy for you. But is sad that mobo has no S-Video out.

Hola! I guess you are looking to setup a silent HTPC...but that chotu proccy will ahve a hard time dealing with codecs like x.264 or any hi-def content..

a slightly beefier proccy like a EE (energy efficient) X2 would be a better bet for a htpc setup

superczar said:
And the point being?

if it's a d/l rig, he'll need a large HDD anyway ...
what point jacking up the costs with the flash /SSD drive when he needs that large HDD for downloading/media serving?

Some heat reduction and power saving and it'll be a little more compact. 4/8GB should be just about sufficient for a night of downloads. No need for a 7200rpm drive for data trickling in at 30-250KB/s. Wake up in the morning, dump the data on your main gaming rig and queue up for the next night :) Of course, if its for data storage, then by all means shove in a 1TB drive although I'd prefer all my data to be on the local machine for quicker access :p

Thats generally my plan so to speak or that's what would best suite my connection and how i'd like a download machine to be like. The whole thing in my head is that the box should be compact, quiet and cool. No one should even know its there - no cables, keyboard, mice, nothing. Keep it in one boring corner of the house or room, boot once...forget :p Connect it to your WiFi network and use uTorrent/Download managers Web UI's and VNC to do everything on it :eek:hyeah:

Nice little download rig thr,buddy..:D Congrats..

Btw, wudnt a sempron le1100@1.6k and any nf6100 mobo for around 2.2-2.3k have been a better choice? It wud have cost you a few hundred bucks more and wud have been powerful enuf to be used as an multimedia cum internet rig..:p

cyberjunkie said:
Thats generally my plan so to speak or that's what would best suite my connection and how i'd like a download machine to be like. The whole thing in my head is that the box should be compact, quiet and cool. No one should even know its there - no cables, keyboard, mice, nothing. Keep it in one boring corner of the house or room, boot once...forget Connect it to your WiFi network and use uTorrent/Download managers Web UI's and VNC to do everything on it

did you mean something like this :bleh:

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/how-build-low-cost-linux-home-102018.html

Well here is the real deal. The reason why i rushed in for this model is :

1. I MAY show this as a sample piece to my mom's school. Such a cheap rig is best suited for schools where there is not much heavy processing involved. Also, since they are looking at expanding their age old computer lab, they can use this to check if it suits their requirement.

2. My main rig will mostly be heading to the hostel in a day's time. And since holidays are coming up, i need to stock up on all the movies i can download. So needed a cheap 24/7 machine very urgently.

3. I really didn't want this old pata drive in my main pc. call it stupidity or whatever :p And 40 gb should suffice for downloads as ill be moving the stuff to my new 250 giger anyway.

@sangram, really no point of having s-video out for me, as i have NEVER felt the need to connect my pc to the tv :p

@cyberjunkie, as superczar pointed out, need at least 30 gigs for the download machine. So USB ruled out as of now. And the CPU runs very cool. It has a small fan attached which does a good job i guess. Its the chipset that becomes considerably hot. I have to run it for at least 24 hours to check if there are any stability issues.

Currently its running :

1. Ubuntu 7.04

2. SSH server

3. x11vnc & java client (accessible for a java enabled browser from windows :)

4. Samba

I've connected it directly to the 220bx modem thru lan, and the main rig is connected thru usb. Need to get a cheap hub this weekend, as the transfer over samba is painfully slow!

Have to install lighthttpd/php/mysql for torrentflux, and take care of a few other things. As for the casing, i'm planning on a simple plywood casing, which can house all the components together. It should be over by Christmas :) Rest assured, i'll be asking some silly doubts on TE as this is the first case im actually trying to "mod" :p

More pics in the evening, if anyone is interested :)

checksum said:
Well here is the real deal. The reason why i rushed in for this model is :
1. I MAY show this as a sample piece to my mom's school. Such a cheap rig is best suited for schools where there is not much heavy processing involved. Also, since they are looking at expanding their age old computer lab, they can use this to check if it suits their requirement.
Then you should contact intel india office directly, along with bona fide school / institution letter of Interest. They are very keen to enter this lucrative segment of the IT market.(huge demand, govt.incentives ...etc..) who knows they might send you some free samples too.

checksum said:
@sangram, really no point of having s-video out for me, as i have NEVER felt the need to connect my pc to the tv

superczar said:
Hola! I guess you are looking to setup a silent HTPC...but that chotu proccy will ahve a hard time dealing with codecs like x.264 or any hi-def content..

I was thinking of a music rig that outputs the display onto my TV, not a video kind of person. In any case the processor handles x.264 HD video just fine, the CPU usage is high but it don't have issues. The problem is with higher def videos such as VC-1 or WMV3.

Check Dis: Intel D201GLY2 Mini-ITX mainboard | silentpcreview.com

I think it's on page 3 or 4.

That board will do for playing my ripped wav files through a USB port to my (TBA) USB DAC. That's really all I need it for, and sometime a music DVD or two.

^^ that is a good idea :) dunno if it can do it well though. I'll try to do a mini review if possible. Maybe helpful to people who are looking out for the second version.

And i was having lot of troubles with Ubuntu. It crashed my hdd partitions, and i couldnt recover it. So running win xp sp2 on it with Remote Desktop, and uTorrent webUi. It works just fine :)

P.S : Like i pointed out, the data transfer between the two PC's connected to my 220bx is really really slow. It took 13 minutes to transfer a 500 mb file. I know for a fact that it was a lot faster before. Any guess what the problem might be?? The download rig is conected thru the LAN interface, and the main rig thru USB.

it should not take so long...

the reason could perhaps be due to the a laggy data translation layer (b/w usb and ethernet) on the modem (since that is not something the modem was designed or intended to be used for)

With my machines connected via 100mbps ethernet via a router, it takes 2-3 mins for a Gig to get transferred and 4-5 mins to be transferred via the 802.11g interface

@ superczar, the thing is i have connected two computer to this router sometime back, and the transfer was around 8mbps. Thats why i'm confused as to what went wrong now.

Anyway, any idea on the pricing of a simple hub? Or would i need a switch?

then why not try wirless modem get thsi also you need add on card pci slot ;)

nice rig i feel you can watch hdtc tv using broadband i wish i could get soon :(

Back