I sat on my phone and broke the display :(

Santa Maria!

Disciple
Okay... you're probably thinking it's a Galaxy S2 or some such, but it's just a puny Spice phone (M5161) that I bought for Rs. 2400 early this year.
The phone is 'working'... I can receive calls, I can even dial and navigate menus.. but only through guessing, since nothing can be seen on the screen.
Right now, the screen just glows white, with two big black patches which are the areas I think are cracked. (I think I can see faint contours representing the crack).

So is this covered by warranty?
If not, how much do you think I have to pay to get it fixed... if fixing is possible? Gonna go ask at Spice HotSpot on Sunday, but some replies before that would be helpful.

The screen costs half or bit more for budget phones. So be ready to pay around 1k+. But isnt it better to go for new phone for a bit more ?

2 months back I sat on my friend's E71 and screen got shattered. He repaired it locally for 500 bucks. I don't see any reason why this spice handset screen should cost 1k unless you go to spice service center.

@OP, no you can't claim warranty for physical damage. You better take it to local shops, who can fix it <500 bucks

Got it fixed locally for Rs. 400. I looked around Nehru Place, charges mentioned were from Rs. 400 to 600, so 400 was the lowest I could find... but I didn't really try bargaining very hard.

Not very pleased with the results. The 'new' screen is quite dim. I first thought it was just my mind playing tricks, but after I took it home, I realized it was indeed somewhat dimmer, with duller colours than before.

The bright whites now appear paler in comparison. During daytime, I have to make an effort to read smaller text at eye-hand distance.

I found out later that a Spice service center was nearby in Kalkaji, but I haven't paid them a visit... too late anyway.

So bleh... it works, but everytime I pull out my phone and look at the screen, my mind always goes 'hmm... that's a bit dim'.

And that's that. Not a pricey phone, but just putting this out there in case anyone else is ever interested. And, oh yeah, when I picked up the phone from repair, I tried to bring up the issue of some sort of waranty/equivalent and the store guys seemed to make every effort to make me realize that there were no guarantees/warranties for this thing. Not for a month, not for a week, zilch.

Its not an original screen, thats why. One of my friend's SE K550i's screen broke, and after inquiry, the original one costs 3k, so went with non branded one for 700/- but its more like an X-ray screen. Very hard to read black texts and colours are like washed away.

Great... just 3 days and now my display doesn't turn off when inactive. Screen contents turn off alright, but the white backlight always stays on... this is gonna abuse my battery. *sigh* Should have gone to service centre.

Bah...screw all this, I'm gonna get me a Neo V when New Year offers kick in. Or maybe a Galaxy W if it ever releases :/

you shouldhave gone to Karol Bagh,gaffar market.I got a Nokia 5233 screen, original according to the repair guy for 1200. non original was 1k. its crazy out there. mobile repair shops there will repair anything and the prices are competitive because of the competition and the volume of the work these guys do.

^ I'll keep that in mind, but hopefully won't need to use that info.

Anyway, final update: Went back to the stupid store and told them about the new problem. Some guy opened it up and took a look. First he said just use it like that. After some badgering and telling him that it might just be a loose connection since twisting/pressing the phone in weird places turns the backlight off/on, he finally looked closer, the found some sort of shorted wires.

It seems to work okay now. Screen is also brighter than before, but still daytime viewing in sunlight is difficult compared to original screen.

Neo V, I'm coming!

Back