I shall see through your eyes...

YoGi-Sama

Skilled
Err... sorry for over-dramatic title, but today was a good day as I gifted myself a long awaited gift and to add icing on the cake my girl gifted me another one. :hap2:

So what is it?

Got two new lenses for my camera, one that I've been lusting after for quite some time now... and another one that again I had noted down as possible purchase.

Let the pics do the talk....

Pretty simple boxes there... hadn't it been for printing on it one could easily mistake them for plain brown boxes.

The content... Bigger lens in soft cloth pouch, smaller one in cardboard mold and user manuals

From Left... Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens and Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens

This midget is pretty mighty... at f/2.0 and above this lens is sharpest I've ever came across... and at the cost it comes at it's a freakin miracle.

In fact, even that max aperture (f/1.8) the results of this lens are nothing short of amazing.

Optics of Mighty midget

The Be-All-Do-All lens... Nikkor 18-200 VR lens. Superzoom finally living upto it's name.

18-200 fully extended at 200mm focal length

Oh Yeah... it's VR baby. Supposedly it's second genration VR or VR-II as Nikon calls it.

Lens controls... Focusing preferences, VR on/off and VR modes

Optics for 18-200mm VR lens.

As always... you can click on the photos to view bigger version...

Damage...

Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR : 32000 /-

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 : 6000 /-
:eek:hyeah:

A Rocking Birthday Indeed!! :yahoo:

Awsome purchase......

P.S : Something that I always wanted to know : How do we compare the zoom on these lens , I fail to understand the readings like "18-200mm" etc etc......say a digicam has 10x optical zoom , how is the zoom on SLR's read / calculated ?

Congrats! I see very few serious photographers buying Nikkor high end lenses though ( i dont know why, everyone has mixed opinions)

This one looks cool.

hanzy said:
Something that I always wanted to know : How do we compare the zoom on these lens , I fail to understand the readings like "18-200mm" etc etc......say a digicam has 10x optical zoom , how is the zoom on SLR's read / calculated ?

Lol... and usually I find it hard to understand the 5x, 10x terminology, so I always prefer reading the start and end focal range. :)

Usually it's calcuated like this... let's say this lens has starting focal range of 18mm, so you divide the end focal range (in this case 200mm) by start focal range to find out NumberX factor. Which in case of this lens is (200 / 18 =) 11.1x zoom. On normal digital cams, point and shoot ones the equation remains same. So when they say that particular camera has 10x of zoom, it means that end focal range is 10 times of the start focal range.

Rockfella said:
I see very few serious photographers buying Nikkor high end lenses though

Not sure if that's really the case, I know couple of good photographers having more Nikkor lenses than other ones. In my own experience, many high-end Nikkor lenses are seriously kick-ass and though sometimes expensive, really worth the price. I had handles few superzoom leses (not mine) such as couple of Tamrons (18-200 and 28-300) and I never find them delivering at both focal ranges. This one though, is probably the first superzoom lens that I find living upto the name. Of-course, it will never beat the dedicated wide or tele lenses but it comes really close and in traveling this one gonna come real handy. No more changing lenses and missing shots in tight situations. :)

iGo said:
Usually it's calcuated like this... let's say this lens has starting focal range of 18mm, so you divide the end focal range (in this case 200mm) by start focal range to find out NumberX factor. Which in case of this lens is (200 / 18 =) 11.1x zoom. On normal digital cams, point and shoot ones the equation remains same. So when they say that particular camera has 10x of zoom, it means that end focal range is 10 times of the start focal range.

Thanks for that info !...do post some pix with the new eyes

Here is one quick sample shot with 50mm F/1.8 lens. :)

ISO: 200

Exposure: 1/3 sec

Aperture: f/1.8

Shot with monitor light as single light source.

More will come as I'll get some time to sit and play with these two babies. :)

hanzy said:
P.S : Something that I always wanted to know : How do we compare the zoom on these lens , I fail to understand the readings like "18-200mm" etc etc......say a digicam has 10x optical zoom , how is the zoom on SLR's read / calculated ?

iGo said:
Lol... and usually I find it hard to understand the 5x, 10x terminology, so I always prefer reading the start and end focal range. :)
On normal digital cams, point and shoot ones the equation remains same. So when they say that particular camera has 10x of zoom, it means that end focal range is 10 times of the start focal range.

The focal lengths on 35 mm SLR lenses (excluding those meant for APS-C sensors for a reason - vignetting) are calculated keeping in mind the full frame (i.e 35mm film). Therefore a 28 mm lens will be 28 mm wide on a 35mm film camera or a full frame DSLR. However, owing to the crop/multiplier factor (1.5 for Nikon and 1.6 for Canon), you need to multiply the focal length by that figure to get the crop/FLM. Therefore a 28mm lens will function as a (28x1.6)=44.8 mm lens on an APS-C sensor camera.

iGo explained how to calculate the zoom range, but there is another aspect to it. For example, I have a 10X optical zoom compact camera. Now, you cannot compare the Nikon 18-200 lens in the same terms even though it comes to nearly (more than, of course) 10X. The focal length in my camera (because the lenses are made for the smaller sensor, and their optics are optimized for it) turns out to be 6.3 to 63mm. In real world terms, this translates to 38-380 mm zoom (10X). Therefore, you cannot compare SLR lenses and their focal lengths to the compacts unless you have an equivalent focal length chart handy.

Not just that, aperture values vary widely as well. Most compacts have an F8 limit owing to diffraction, while DSLRs will reach F22 or F32 for their aperture.

Congratulations on your purchase btw :)

AK3D said:
The focal lengths on 35 mm SLR lenses (excluding those meant for APS-C sensors for a reason - vignetting) are calculated keeping in mind the full frame (i.e 35mm film). Therefore a 28 mm lens will be 28 mm wide on a 35mm film camera or a full frame DSLR. However, owing to the crop/multiplier factor (1.5 for Nikon and 1.6 for Canon), you need to multiply the focal length by that figure to get the crop/FLM. Therefore a 28mm lens will function as a (28x1.6)=44.8 mm lens on an APS-C sensor camera.

iGo explained how to calculate the zoom range, but there is another aspect to it. For example, I have a 10X optical zoom compact camera. Now, you cannot compare the Nikon 18-200 lens in the same terms even though it comes to nearly (more than, of course) 10X. The focal length in my camera (because the lenses are made for the smaller sensor, and their optics are optimized for it) turns out to be 6.3 to 63mm. In real world terms, this translates to 38-380 mm zoom (10X). Therefore, you cannot compare SLR lenses and their focal lengths to the compacts unless you have an equivalent focal length chart handy.

That is right, the difference between SLR, Full-Frame SLR and P&S camera focal lengths is decided by crop factor. What I had explained was range terminology or zoom power (as marketing guys put it), which remains true for all cameras. The real world parameters however differs, as AK3D explained.

ANP!! said:
Which DSLR ?

It's my trusty ol' D70s. :)

Back