CPU/Mobo i7 prices? Why the frak so high?

ithehappy

Adept
So my rig is over three years old, and I was thinking about upgrade thus was checking what CPUs are available now, and as I've a i7 there was no point in seeing a lower spec CPU. But what the hell are going on with the prices? I mean i7 3770 and 4770 are costing 20 and 22k respectively! I mean they are same 4C/8T like my i7 950, with little less power consumption and higher overclock potential and maybe some advantages. But isn't 20k + pricing expensive? When I purchased i7 950 it was 13k. Why the prices have been increased so much?
Whereas AMP 8 core CPUs are around 13-14k. I'm not interested by the simplest mean in them, but these prices of Intel CPUs are forcing me to think otherwise!
What do you think?

Yeah, I noticed this trend too. I've a hunch all this is because of online websites like flipkart, snap deal, ebay etc who used to sell at inflated prices. Seeing them sell at those prices, the brick and mortar stores (who till now were selling on 50-100rupee margins) got hungry and jacked up their prices to match online pricing.
Dollar rate increase was just an excuse to further increase prices.

Even I was looking at upgrading my 6 yr old pc, but looking at how even low end i3's are priced, I think I'll buy amd based components when I do upgrade. Plus another thing bothering me about Intel is the times they change pin config. There are three different pin variations selling for almost same price on fk now. 1150, 1155 & 1156. Next year maybe 1151 or 1157?

The main factor is competition, dollar rate has its effect. AMD simply does not have a competitive desktop offering against an i7 performance wise.

@ithehappy ,
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/100?vs=837
Check this comparison of an i5 4670k vs your i7 950. The i5 is priced at 16.5k and you can get the non-k version for 14.7k as per deltapage pricing.
What I am trying to say is, the i7 branding has always been the best that Intel has to offer. They have a performance advantage over AMD and their pricing reflects the same.
If you look at your approx. 15K budget then the i5 from above comparison offers a very nice performance increase against your i7. You won't be downgrading if you choose an i5 to replace an i7.

Yeah, I noticed this trend too. I've a hunch all this is because of online websites like flipkart, snap deal, ebay etc who used to sell at inflated prices. Seeing them sell at those prices, the brick and mortar stores (who till now were selling on 50-100rupee margins) got hungry and jacked up their prices to match online pricing.
Dollar rate increase was just an excuse to further increase prices.
But the prices are the same in the international market??? i mean its not like the i7 4770k is still being sold in foreign countries for 13 k and its available here for 24k. In the foreign market (wrt current dollar rate) it is around 18 - 19k and its available here for 24k

Even I was looking at upgrading my 6 yr old pc, but looking at how even low end i3's are priced, I think I'll buy amd based components when I do upgrade. Plus another thing bothering me about Intel is the times they change pin config. There are three different pin variations selling for almost same price on fk now. 1150, 1155 & 1156. Next year maybe 1151 or 1157?
I agree & the one thing i hate about Intel is their socket changes. My advice for all my friends have been the same over the past 6 years. If you are on a budget go with AMD, if you are not then Intel should be your only choice.

@OP There are improvements at the core & architectural level of the 4th Gen Intel Processors, heck each generation of Intel Processor is faster than its previous (albeit margin has decreased a lot). I have always upgraded my Intel systems with 1 Generation gap...e.g. I had i7 2600K now purchasing i7 4770K (skipped 3770K).....before Intel that I used to use AMD for 3 years. So Yeah the prices have increase, if i7 Haswell is in your budget go with it, you wont be disappointed. If not you can go with the i5 haswell or if you really are on a very low budget go with AMD. I can also advice you if you have not already, OVERCLOCK your 950 to over 4 GHz with Closed loop liquid cooling (NZXT Kraken x60 or Corsair H110i) then you can use the system for 1 more year.

@babhishek I think Haswell's are available everywhere, there is no shortage of them. it is just costly.

I think the Dollar rate is the only reason why the CPU prices are higher than it was 3 years ago...When i started working I used to get around 46 - 47 rs to a dollar & if you calculate the current price of Haswell which is around 289$ @ the dollar rate which was 3 years ago it comes to 13K which is close what the OP purchased his i7 950 at.

Another reason could be Dismal Sales of Desktops with the mobile computing gaining upper hand. Lesser sales usually translates higher prices at least at the launch time.

Another reason could be Dismal Sales of Desktops with the mobile computing gaining upper hand. Lesser sales usually translates higher prices at least at the launch time.

i don't think so - i am happy with a low voltage haswell running on a micro-itx platform - but hunting for one is a pain!

The main factor is competition, dollar rate has its effect. AMD simply does not have a competitive desktop offering against an i7 performance wise.

@ithehappy ,
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/100?vs=837
Check this comparison of an i5 4670k vs your i7 950. The i5 is priced at 16.5k and you can get the non-k version for 14.7k as per deltapage pricing.
What I am trying to say is, the i7 branding has always been the best that Intel has to offer. They have a performance advantage over AMD and their pricing reflects the same.
If you look at your approx. 15K budget then the i5 from above comparison offers a very nice performance increase against your i7. You won't be downgrading if you choose an i5 to replace an i7.
Thanks for that article. Hmm, the i5 is better in everything than my old i7. But isn't there any advantage of having four extra threads?
Pricing is the last thing I worry about. I just meant is it worth to pay that much for an i7. I know they have advantage over AMD, that's why I kept rejecting them for years now. Seems like 4770k will be my thing, lol. Hope there'll be a little price drop by March/April, when I will ultimately upgrade.[DOUBLEPOST=1385725115][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nah. People like me will not even bother to look at those things. Gaming and mobile/laptop can't go together.
@aasimenator: I am on 3.7. Just using the BIOS settings to OC it. Don't really have time to test things further as it will be needing much more fine tuning's. Also liquid cooler scares, the number of leakage issues, I don't know. Hyper 212 is doing a decent job for me, with push pull pair of Cosair performance edition.

Last edited:
As it has Hyper Threading and is more suitable for more robust multi-threading and there is no CPU compared to its performance and power efficiency, naturally it is highly priced compared to its alternative.ie.AMD.
AMD manufacturing process based on 32nm and Intel is 22nm.Just see the difference.OK.

If your priority is gaming the an i5 actually makes a lot more sense as most games will not utilize the extra threads available to the fullest. Even if the i5 is a bit slower, the 5K+ that you save can be put to a better use in a GPU which will give substantial increase.
Specific article for your gaming needs.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013

Battlefield 3 is a game which performs much better on an i7 but that is an exception. Developers are lazy and prefer GPU optimizations over CPU optimizations.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/8.html

Check the recommendations from the Anandtech review on the last page. Save on the CPU and spend on the GPU. Good luck.

@pr0ing : Thanks. Yes I play games mostly, but I don't think that'll be my only priority, overall usage matters too. Thanks for the article, will give it a read tonight.

I also planned for i7 setup when price was 17k for proccy and i thought when ill buy it will be 15k around.Than dollar rate and competition virtually killed and after saving for almost a year same proccy now cost 19-21k.
I dropped my planned and looked at market section.Luckily i got my hand on i5 3570k which sells for 15k retail and asus maximus v gene which retails for 15-16k now for 21k combo.
Now i will divert extra cash to gfx side where competition is driving price down.
Going for the best proccy right now doesnt make sense since intel is just jacking price up.I went from core 2 duo e6750 to this new proccy.

Back