ICICI Bank Credit Card Bill payment Failure

So I couldn't find a better section on forum to discuss this so I'm posting here instead.

So yesterday (12/08/2022) just before 11pm I was trying to pay my CC bill which is due on 15th Aug.
If anyone of you have ICICI Credit card and use the iMobile app, I just chose Internet Banking and used my PNB Retail Internet banking to pay the dues in full.
When I inputted the OTP on the bank website the payment processed and account got debited but in response I got something like "Couldn't process payment at this time....".
This message was not from the PNB Bank but from ICICI.

I know even if payment goes through without error message it takes a couple days to reflect in statement.
Now what shall I do? Do I pay again and not wait until after 15th Aug when I could be charged interest?
Or do I fight with ICICI or PNB and with whom shall I raise a grievance and how?

Have any of you been in such situation? How does this play out and what's the right course of action?

I've never missed CC payments ever. I don't know what to do. Need help and I have very less time until my due date with weekend and Holidays on Monday 15th Aug where I'm sure no one will answer me from the banks.

Last edited:
I generally pay via cred and well in advance and have never had issues. In your case, you still have time, so if its not a big deal you can try again, and if you pay up 2x, then you can use it later on (assuming its not a large amount)
Otherwise reach out to bank cc, they can help you out best

Always try to have a buffer of 3-4 working days to avoid such a situation. You will not loose any money. The question is about avoiding any penalty or interest.
I have faced this situation once with ICICI and in panic I made the payment again. Eventually both got through. I did not check with customer care though.

I would advise to check with both the two customer cares to check where it failed. If they confirm that payment is failed, then make the payment again. If customer care is of no help, wait till Saturday or Sunday EoD to see if it gets sorted.

If it does not get resolved make the payment again on or before 15th (assuming 15th to be the due date). I assume here that the bill amount would be covered in about a month by your regular expediture on the card just in case both payments go through.

Last edited:
I generally pay via cred and well in advance and have never had issues. In your case, you still have time, so if its not a big deal you can try again, and if you pay up 2x, then you can use it later on (assuming its not a large amount)
Otherwise reach out to bank cc, they can help you out best
Thanks for replying. So you're advising to pay again just in-case to be safe? My amount is not a lot, it's around 8K INR.

Always try to have a buffer of 3-4 working days to avoid such a situation. You will not loose any money. The questtion is about avoiding any penalty or interest.
I have faced this situation once with ICICI and in panic I made the payment again. Eventually both got through. I did not check with customer care though.

I would advise to check with both the two customer cares to check where it failed. If they confirm that payment is failed, then make the payment again. If customer care is of no help, wait till Saturday or Sunday EoD to see if it gets sorted.

If it does not get resolved make the payment again on or before 15th (assuming 15th to be the due date). I assume here that the bill amount would be covered in about a month by your regular expediture on the card just in case both payments go through.
Thanks for replying, yes I usually pay within the first week of the month but this time I got very occupied with some things and it got a little late.
So you're also suggesting to pay again to avoid penalty and if both go through does my credit limit increase over the allocated for just this month? I can then use the amount which I overpaid and not get a bill next month for that extra amount?

Thanks for replying, yes I usually pay within the first week of the month but this time I got very occupied with some things and it got a little late.
So you're also suggesting to pay again to avoid penalty and if both go through does my credit limit increase over the allocated for just this month? I can then use the amount which I overpaid and not get a bill next month for that extra amount?
Wait till Satuarday EoD at aleast and then pay again. ICICI customer care would be working tomorrow.
Yes, the amount overpaid will be adjusted against the next month bill. e.g. If the next month bill is 9k you will still have to make a payment of 9k-8k i.e. 1k. If instead you spend 7k, then no payment would be required and the 1k balance will be adjusted against the subsequent month bill.

does my credit limit increase over the allocated for just this month? I can then use the amount which I overpaid and not get a bill next month for that extra amount?
That's exactly right, you'll get cc statement which will show extra amount in negative. You can then use that amount normally. This has happened a few times with me. This is same with SBI and City as well.

I pay through amazon pay or gpay upi. Payment is near instant on gpay and maybe a day on amazon pay. Also the reward coupon and occasional cashback are decent

So I couldn't find a better section on forum to discuss this so I'm posting here instead.

So yesterday (12/08/2022) just before 11pm I was trying to pay my CC bill which is due on 15th Aug.
If anyone of you have ICICI Credit card and use the iMobile app, I just chose Internet Banking and used my PNB Retail Internet banking to pay the dues in full.
When I inputted the OTP on the bank website the payment processed and account got debited but in response I got something like "Couldn't process payment at this time....".

I know even if payment goes through without error message it takes a couple days to reflect in statement.
Now what shall I do? Do I pay again and not wait until after 15th Aug when I could be charged interest?
Or do I fight with ICICI or PNB and with whom shall I raise a grievance and how?

Have any of you been in such situation? How does this play out and what's the right course of action?

I've never missed CC payments ever. I don't know what to do. Need help and I have very less time until my due date with weekend and Holidays on Monday 15th Aug where I'm sure no one will answer me from the banks.
It happens once in a while due to some technical problem at the bank side. Just call the ICICI CC and check as they are usually prompt in answering even during holidays. You can give them the transaction reference number from the bank account statement for them to check. Also if you do not want to go through all these you can simply pay once again as suggested by others and have the amount adjusted during your next card usage

I pay through amazon pay or gpay upi. Payment is near instant on gpay and maybe a day on amazon pay. Also the reward coupon and occasional cashback are decent
I also usually pay through that way but IDK what hit me for some reason I decided to do it via iMobile app using IBS but it's not like I've not done it before. Many time during the starting months with this card I paid the bill via app successfully. Guess this time my timing and luck was bad.

It happens once in a while due to some technical problem at the bank side. Just call the ICICI CC and check as they are usually prompt in answering even during holidays. You can give them the transaction reference number from the bank account statement for them to check. Also if you do not want to go through all these you can simply pay once again as suggested by others and have the amount adjusted during your next card usage
I'll try calling them today.

I had a payment reversal in cc after I paid the dues. The amount was significant enough to be consumed during next 2.5 months.
The statements showed surplus amount as negative.

Had no issues otherwise

Pay the minimum amt via Upi, icici credits in 5-10 mins, the upi address is ccpay.16 digit card number@icici. Then you can wait few days for pnb issue to get sorted out without worrying abt fines.

I had the same issue with Axis Bank and I had made the payment 2 days before the due date. Since the amount was deducted from my bank account with a successful transaction but failed at Axis, I was sure of it going through.

The customer care was as usual useless, first suggesting to wait for 3 working days and then following up a week later asking about the transaction details. However, the amount itself was credited on the due date, 2 days later.

I know CRED works better but had a similar issue with them as well in the past where they tell you to retry payment. Also, don't want complete data harvesting by them, so I usually pay the smaller bills through CRED and the larger ones directly from a separate bank account that also offers 1% cashback.

Pay minimum amount of the credit card bill and you won't be fined. I have heard paying through UPi and Paytm is faster and shouldn't take 2-3 days ICICI to acknowledge.

Pay the minimum amt via Upi, icici credits in 5-10 mins, the upi address is ccpay.16 digit card number@icici. Then you can wait few days for pnb issue to get sorted out without worrying abt fines.
Did that today a few hours ago and yes it was immediately in my credit card statement. Thanks!

I had the same issue with Axis Bank and I had made the payment 2 days before the due date. Since the amount was deducted from my bank account with a successful transaction but failed at Axis, I was sure of it going through.

The customer care was as usual useless, first suggesting to wait for 3 working days and then following up a week later asking about the transaction details. However, the amount itself was credited on the due date, 2 days later.

I know CRED works better but had a similar issue with them as well in the past where they tell you to retry payment. Also, don't want complete data harvesting by them, so I usually pay the smaller bills through CRED and the larger ones directly from a separate bank account that also offers 1% cashback.
Yep, I contacted ICICI customer care and they also said to wait 2-3 days so that payment can be reflected in statement but I didn't get a firm confirmation if that would happen.
As a "check" I made a payment of Re1 through the same Internet banking and will be waiting to see what gets credited first. If it's the Re.1 then I could be certain that the previous payment did indeed failed.

So nothing yet, neither the full amount transaction which "failed" nor the Re.1 transaction I did is credited in my card. It's been like 2 business days since transactions were done (Actual over 4 days).

ICICI is saying to reach out to the bank and complain there. Seems like I'm in for a stressful ride to banks and whatever manual process is involved.
Any advise from anyone?

EDIT: Both transactions credited today evening. :relieved:

Last edited:
Back