OC & Modding Ideas for cheap 3.5 - 5.25 bay adapter

6pack

ex-Mod
I want to fit 2x 3.5" hdd in unused DVD bay. Need ideas for doing this as cheap as possible. I like DIY more than buying stuff.

I did try my own idea but had to dismantle it. I took old CD top cover, inverted it and stuck acrylic strips to it to hold the hdd. But the holes in the cover don't match the holes in chassis.

my suggestion is buying the bay converters. the good ones from xigmatek at 450. these are metal ones. the cheaper plastic ones can be had for as low as 250-300

I have done a mod to fit my 2x HDD's into 5.2" drive bays. Idea here was to streamline the airflow from lower-front fan to GPU. As HDD came in way of the airflow, I had placed them in 5.2" bay. Yes, there is another fan in front of 5.2" bays for cooling HDD's.

The Mod:

Warning: It's gettho, not well finished and would possibly ruin your chassis. Not recommended, if you have naice chassis. I have cheap chassis, so I can afford modding the heck out of it, without caring for any damages.

The picture should be self explanatory.
Tools used: Wire cutter, Pliers.
Method:
Left side 5.2" cage cutting:
- Cut the cage horizontally from lowest position, leaving some space at either ends for support.
- Make vertical cut at either end of horizontal cut toward top upto a height, so that you will be able to install a HDD and have some clearance.
- Bend the sheet that is formed out from the cut. This sheet will form a platform to support your second HDD.

So far we are able to install lower HDD, however upper HDD is supported by only one side. The other side of upper HDD shall be supported by SATA cables.
In order to attach cable you need to make another cut. This cut should be big enough so that SATA power cable and data cable can, and it should be be inline with HDD's data/power sockets.
Lower side HDD can use either side to install cables, however upper side drive should have cables installed from opposite side of the platform. Cable will form the second supporting platform for drive. Alternatively, you can have small cutting from opposite side of cage to form a platform, or you can rubber spacers.
Some chiseling shall help to smooth out the edges.

Cons:
- Possibly ruins you chassis.
- Very difficult to restructured cage back to it's original state.
- Installing/ uninstalling HDD is not very user friendly.

You should be doing this only if don't care about your chassis.

Are 2-3 inch long screws available? I bought a cooler master cabinet, and it had a few long screws, which I imagine are for just this purpose.

Back