Audio IEM recommendation, specific requirements

Shripad

ex-Mod
Well I know there are countless threads about this.

But I have some specific needs and looking for suggestions.

I can source

1. Locally

2. Stores that ship to India

3. Amazon ( dont consider KMD pricing, I have someone coming down from US who has some balance on amazon card and need to use up before he leaves US ).

Budget : 2.5k... Not too flexible.

Lower is OK, too high is not ok.

Requirements.

1. Decent sound stage

2. I hate sharp Treble.

3. Will be used exclusively on Nexus one.

4. Wont be used with any portable AMP.

Things to Note.

I have PL30, dont like them much.

I have PL11, same deal

I have EP830, and EP630 forget about it.

I am not an audiophile in any way but I want decent sound which does not come out all muddled or too boomy or too sharp.

What I listen to : Little bit of everything. Yeah I know its odd, I dont care about specific genre. I enjoy everything from Swedish pop to trance to metallica to bollywood songs. ( Blame it on getting used to streaming radio stations :p ).

I will shut up now and let the suggestions trickle in.

I am also in the same boat....I am just ok with Pl 30
I am considering RE 2, Nuforce NE7m, CX 500..

I have not heard any of the 3 so its better to wait for personal experience.

i tried my friend razer moray+ IEMs they sounded really good. but i am no audiophile - however i found them to be comfortable and better sounding than a sennheiser iem--don't know the model number.

look up the reviews online.

you have two of them - razer moray and razer moray + opt for the moray+

i'll say Fischer Eterna..

i'm not an audiophile either & neither i own one but as i've read many reviews saying it's very good.so,i think you should consider that too..

Get Nuforce NE-6, i am using em right now, love em.

i have some collection of IEM's, i have almost all sub 150 USD IEMs. At 40 USD, nuforce NE-6 is a steal. wont find them locally but you can get Klipsch Image S4 for around 4k, they sound equally good.

i really wish computer dealers in lamington road and other places had a few sample headphones from different brands to check b4 making a final purchase--headphone shopping is dodgy -- each person has their own taste.

naveen58 said:
i'll say Fischer Eterna..
i'm not an audiophile either & neither i own one but as i've read many reviews saying it's very good.so,i think you should consider that too..

I'll say don't go for Eterna ;)

The fact is only a few have them and unless one of them says it will suit the OP's taste, it's just a guess.

I've seen so much of love for Eterna based on reviews alone. Unless I listen to it for a few days, I would not know what kind of IEM it's going to be. Who knows? For my RE0 liking ears, they might turn out to be too bassy and it could end up in FS section soon ;)

^ Yes Shripad,do consider the RE-2 ,IMO it is one of the best sounding IEMs in it's range :) Too lazy to describe the sound , read up my review if possible .http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/head-direct-re-2-review-140801.html Nu-Force NE7M is also a good option and similar to the RE2.

Eterna's for 3k is actually a steal going by ClieOS' review but I don't have personal experience with it so can't really share much info.

more on the eterna's.In Ear Matters: [REVIEW] Fischer Audio - From Russia, with love.

the eterna's are real good (I for one actually got one :bleh:)

The shine in the mid range (vocals are special)

Bit high on bass/mid-bass

Trebles are okok, will sound bad on low bitrates. (I have the

Audio technica AD-700s, so its not a fair comparo as those are way ahead in this dept.)

Soundstage you would find lacking, since they sit wayyy inside the ear with those biflanges that they come with.

Its a whole step better than what crossroads offers at this price, donot know bout the others since i have not had a go.

Even I was hoping to buy Eterna. The problem is Eterna is not in stock with MH. At 2999 it was a great deal but no stock. 3.2k+ VAT is taking it too far over my budget.

And i checked many sites and its bloody expensive elsewhere.

3k would have been ok, anything over that is strict no no.

What would you take? RE2 or NE6 ( I dont need mic in NE7, I never take calls on headset. Apparently thats the only difference between NE6 and 7 ) if price is same.

^ RE-2 has better detailing and midrange ,instruments.NE-6 wins in the bass department.(RE-2 being slightly bass shy)Even the NE-6 has a good overall sound but RE-2 is little better from what I've read.

If you crave for good thumping bass , NE-6 is the safer choice.If you are more keen on detailing,soundstage of the sound and don't mind the light bass. RE-2 :).

If you intend to use it with the Nexus one, get the PL50. Its a almost perfect match bettered only by the RE0. The RE0 however needs an amp while the PL50 can run easily without one.

Back