Windows If you are using windows 10 then check your SSD life

Do these number really matter in real life scenario?
I have a very old Air (2012 possibly) and has Windows 10 in bootcamp for years, I didn't know anything about SSD's lifespan and the Windows 10 partition has been used extensively for last 5-6 years as a download machine ( for Kontakt libraries size varying from 2GB to 60GB in size) since the SSD is very small ( 120 GB for windows 10) I had to offload the downloaded libraries to external portable SSDs continuously.
Do these numbers really matter? My experience is very limited, but all the laptops I went through in last 5-6 years had SSDs ( however except 2 all were Macs) and none of them failed.
Even my 2010 MBP's( which came with a HDD, replaced with a 128GB SSD) Crucial SSD still works flawlessly as an external drive ( the laptop itself is lost somewhere)

Do these number really matter in real life scenario?
I have a very old Air (2012 possibly) and has Windows 10 in bootcamp for years, I didn't know anything about SSD's lifespan and the Windows 10 partition has been used extensively for last 5-6 years as a download machine ( for Kontakt libraries size varying from 2GB to 60GB in size) since the SSD is very small ( 120 GB for windows 10) I had to offload the downloaded libraries to external portable SSDs continuously.
Do these numbers really matter? My experience is very limited, but all the laptops I went through in last 5-6 years had SSDs ( however except 2 all were Macs) and none of them failed.
Even my 2010 MBP's( which came with a HDD, replaced with a 128GB SSD) Crucial SSD still works flawlessly as an external drive ( the laptop itself is lost somewhere)

ssd have limited amount of write endurance. Currently QLC is most often used in inexpensive drives like 660p (which i have), QLC have least endurance, 512GB 660p have 100TB write endurance.
Few days ago i noticed that window 10 wrote 50GB data within an hour of turning my pc on, so at that rate endurance of ssd will be reached in 2000hrs, this will also void warranty as it exceeded the endurance rating.
So at that point the ssd will fail anytime.

Also, it only affects the drive on which OS (window 10) is installed. This behaviour of windows 10 isn't normal, if its a "feature" of windows 10 then user should get option to disable this option of literally "kill my ssd/warranty" feature.

Older drives used to have SLC which have much higher endurance than QLC.
So budget 120-256GB drives or even maybe 512GB drive users should pay attention to how much data is being written into their ssd if they want it to last over 5years.

i personally prefer to do the stuff i tell to do, so i found it annoying that despite disabling anything that i knew to minimise write, it was still writing like crazy. While in windows 7 i can use ssd to record gameplay capture for smoother recording, editing, playback and still write less than what 10 did for no reason.

Though, after last update and manually setting auto defragmentation to defrag my hdd only i am seeing ~2GB writes per hour which is less bad.

BTW what was the model number of the ssd that you mentioned?

Last edited:
No idea about the model numbers. The oldest one ( possibly 2010) was a Crucial drive ( 128GB) Rest I don't really know. Apple probably used Samsung SSDs earlier. I'm primarily using Windows only from 2019 and don't remember what's inside the laptop ( LG gram with 512 GB SSD)
Not arguing with you geeks, I'm vaguely aware of write cycles ( but nothing about controllers), all I'm trying to say is, since 2010 I'm using SSDs and none of them failed yet ( most ran Windows 10 in bootcamp for more than 5 years)
I know nothing about what goes on in the background, just use it normally, nothing happened ( yet) with the SSDs, however HDDs crashed on me twice ( long long time ago, XP days)

Last edited:
ssd have limited amount of write endurance. Currently QLC is most often used in inexpensive drives like 660p (which i have), QLC have least endurance, 512GB 660p have 100TB write endurance.
Few days ago i noticed that window 10 wrote 50GB data within an hour of turning my pc on, so at that rate endurance of ssd will be reached in 2000hrs, this will also void warranty as it exceeded the endurance rating.
So at that point the ssd will fail anytime.

Also, it only affects the drive on which OS (window 10) is installed. This behaviour of windows 10 isn't normal, if its a "feature" of windows 10 then user should get option to disable this option of literally "kill my ssd/warranty" feature.

Older drives used to have SLC which have much higher endurance than QLC.
So budget 120-256GB drives or even maybe 512GB drive users should pay attention to how much data is being written into their ssd if they want it to last over 5years.

i personally prefer to do the stuff i tell to do, so i found it annoying that despite disabling anything that i knew to minimise write, it was still writing like crazy. While in windows 7 i can use ssd to record gameplay capture for smoother recording, editing, playback and still write less than what 10 did for no reason.

Though, after last update and manually setting auto defragmentation to defrag my hdd only i am seeing ~2GB writes per hour which is less bad.

BTW what was the model number of the ssd that you mentioned?
cant be untill some bug with your windows installation , there was a bug in windows 10 which would defrag the ssd but has been solved after an update

Any help here....
2 months old.
Only playing CoD Warzone (2hr per day) and some basic Unreal and Unity Works

Currently Running on 32 GB ram

Attachments

• fff.JPG
    fff.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 117
I'm scared even to check mine!! If the SSD dies in my laptop now, I will be totally screwed. This is scary..I don't even have a partition!! Everything is in C drive..at least 50 unfinished mixes!!

No idea about the model numbers. The oldest one ( possibly 2010) was a Crucial drive ( 128GB) Rest I don't really know. Apple probably used Samsung SSDs earlier. I'm primarily using Windows only from 2019 and don't remember what's inside the laptop ( LG gram with 512 GB SSD)
Not arguing with you geeks, I'm vaguely aware of write cycles ( but nothing about controllers), all I'm trying to say is, since 2010 I'm using SSDs and none of them failed yet ( most ran Windows 10 in bootcamp for more than 5 years)
I know nothing about what goes on in the background, just use it normally, nothing happened ( yet) with the SSDs, however HDDs crashed on me twice ( long long time ago, XP days)
Windows 10 was released in 2015 bro. You must have been using Windows 7 before that, which is what I still use because everything still works for what little usage I have.

Any help here....
2 months old.
Only playing CoD Warzone (2hr per day) and some basic Unreal and Unity Works

Currently Running on 32 GB ram
Update to latest version of windows and see how much it writes daily.
I also set manually scheduled defragmentation on my hdd only, don't know if it played any role in reducing the write though as i did it right after updating.
cant be untill some bug with your windows installation , there was a bug in windows 10 which would defrag the ssd but has been solved after an update

Yes i saw this and that's why i installed window 10 again few days ago, and indeed saw the difference of write per hour ( 50GB per hour before update, 2GB per hour after update ).

Windows 10 was released in 2015 bro. You must have been using Windows 7 before that, which is what I still use because everything still works for what little usage I have.
True, but like an idiot I started using it pretty early.. possibly in 2016..as it was not my main OS.
This is scary man!! Specially for a noob like me. And I'm using a weird version of Windows 10 ( LTSC or something) the updates are very slow to come. Apparently it's very stable, doesn't come with a single bloat/ annoyances of the home/ pro version. But God knows what it does in the background.

I don't think there's any flaw with windows 10.
I am using Windows 10 since first release and always using latest stable release version.
Using WD SN700 500GB nvme m.2 drive since Nov 2018 as my primary drive with windows partition on it.
so after about 26 months it's showing about 92% health or 25000 GB read / write which is absolutely fine as per my usage.
I don't 've any games installed (not a gamer) it 's only windows OS and some other softwares but I write this partition about 25-35GB per day. sometimes downloading or copying data over this partition.
So average usage is about 30GB approx per day = 1000GB/month (Approx.) = 25000GB (Approx.) for 26 months which is absolutely great figure as claimed by manufacturer.
WD SN 700 500GB [300TBW (terabytes written) or 5yrs warranty]
so 25TB or 26TB usage is about 8-9% of 300TB which is absolutely true in my scenario.
hence remaining life for my SSD is 92%, see screenshot attached for both HWinfo64 and WD SSD dashboard.

Capture2.PNGCapture.PNGCapture5.PNG

Last edited:
I don't think there's any flaw with windows 10.
I am using Windows 10 since first release and always using latest stable release version.
Using WD SN700 500GB nvme m.2 drive since Nov 2018 as my primary drive with windows partition on it.
so after about 26 months it's showing about 92% health or 25000 GB read / write which is absolutely fine as per my usage.
I don't 've any games installed (not a gamer) it 's only windows OS and some other softwares but I write this partition about 25-35GB per day. sometimes downloading or copying data over this partition.
So average usage is about 30GB approx per day = 1000GB/month (Approx.) = 25000GB (Approx.) for 26 months which is absolutely great figure as claimed by manufacturer.
WD SN 700 500GB [300TBW (terabytes written) or 5yrs warranty]
so 25TB or 26TB usage is about 8-9% of 300TB which is absolutely true in my scenario.
hence remaining life for my SSD is 92%, see screenshot attached for both HWinfo64 and WD SSD dashboard.

View attachment 99449View attachment 99450View attachment 99451
from your usage it looks like your installation isn't affected by this issue. Though that doesn't mean it's non existent as not everyone gets affected by every bug, it's even confirmed by other websites.
For me its my 3rd install of 10 so far and i still had that problem (so 100% bad luck ) untill i updated it to latest which reduced the writes that aren't that bad now (because the image from microsoft wasn't latest)

from your usage it looks like your installation isn't affected by this issue. Though that doesn't mean it's non existent as not everyone gets affected by every bug, it's even confirmed by other websites.
For me its my 3rd install of 10 so far and i still had that problem (so 100% bad luck ) untill i updated it to latest which reduced the writes that aren't that bad now (because the image from microsoft wasn't latest)
well if it's true, then may me lucky me :).
I never bothered to look for this issue online as I find everything absolutely normal for my case. I've installed windows 3rd time on this drive since I bought this drive in nov 2018 & even skipped some major updates in between.
here is my current win version -Capture.PNG

Hello there,
I am sharing a weird thing that i noticed in windows 10, i bought 1TB intel 660p ssd around 15 months ago, i have been using it as OS drive for windows 10, i was also using windows 7 on another 240GB sata ssd.

I used windows 10 just for PUBG ( because nvedia's variable refresh rate ) and watching youtube as for everything else i was using windows 7. After using windows 10 for around a year it started giving me issues around may this year, so i switched back to windows 7, then in windows 7 hwinfo64 i noticed that my intel drive was written by over 10TB data which is impossible as it was used just for youtube and pubg and i always disable hybersleep and page file as soon as i install any os on ssd.
On contrary the ssd which had windows 7 on it only had less than 3TB data write in around 3years. Now i am using windows 7 for around 2 months on intel ssd and i barely noticed any data written on ssd so far.

Conclusion, if you are using windows 10 on your ssd then check its life and data written on it.
I am attaching pics highlighting total data written on these drive so far.
Nice observation. Well, SSDs life can go for up to 10 years according to study. However, in comparison to conventional HDDs, the mechanics of SSD don't degrade when only reading data. This means, by only reading data, an SSD will not wear out, which brings us to the conclusion that it depends on the write and delete processes.

Back