India seeks to block Chinese firms from sub-Rs 12,000 phone market

The wags are already linking it to Jio's upcoming line of budget phones.

What do you think, does this have to do with technical and national security, tax troubles, or protecting Indian industry?

The wags are already linking it to Jio's upcoming line of budget phones.

What do you think, does this have to do with technical and national security, tax troubles, or protecting Indian industry?
With the recent ED raids on Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo for money laundering, I think this is an extension of the anti-China stance.

In a way, I think it is giving back to Chinese what they have been doing to international firms where they want those firms to be 100% localized. The fact that the Chinese firms have such a low-risk presence in the country without huge direct investments is certainly unhealthy.

Chinese money is welcome I suppose as long as there is no way for it to leave the country. May be this will get the Chinese firms to be 100% incorporated in India without remittance to China.

A very welcome move.. if it can match specs and performance at the price being sold at! should not be a backdoor move like trashing a competitor shop to sell their stuff!

I would like to play devil's advocate here and ask why take such measures which would impact people with lower income , even with subpar technologies these companies do offer some incredible specs to people who can not afford an expensive phone, rather than curb the chinese market , first focus should be to enable the homegrown companies so that lower income consumer don't suffer as much. let us be honest xiaomi or oppo was giving incredible value for money under 15k than samsung or even motorola,

first focus should be to enable the homegrown companies so that lower income consumer don't suffer as much.
Setting up a mobile phone manufacturing unit with the related patent rights is a serious financial commitment. Especially after Micromax I don't think homegrown investors would set up plants for entry level smartphones unless they had some kind of assured market, even in their early days when they haven't reached economies of scale. Who in India has the money to navigate the patent minefield?

I think this is just a trial balloon sent up to gauge public response. Our trade treaty obligations somewhat restrict our ability to provide subsidies to manufacturing or to impose customs duty barriers, unless Chinese manufacturers are seen as dumping.

This would have been a great move if there were a host of local manufacturers just waiting for this opportunity. As it stands, there is the risk of creating a monopoly in favour of just one Indian manufacturer, due to these barriers.

Those companies could break off to form Xiaomi-India, and Vivo-India either with the same or different names + 100% localization and continue to operate. Isn't that what Bytedance did with the US?

What people usually don't recognise that Govt and Public are two separate entities in India. Latter entity is voiceless.

Govt tells public, your diesel cars are to be scrapped but let us build more coal plants.

Govt tells public, pay 2 more years in emi for buying BS6 vehicle but let us build more coal plants.

Govt tells public, don't import cheap phones from china but let us still import iPhones from china.

It's nothing short of offloading anti china/global warming/anything rhetoric on poor public.

I am not sure how the govt. Is playing it but as an Indian I am happy if Chinese are been giving a hard time.

They are a menance . There is no way for Indian mobile companies to take on big Chinese manufacturers like Xaomi,Vivo,oppo etc without breaking some rules .

The Chinese have been breaking every rule so about time.

Indian companies like Micromax had lot of potential to become a global player but lack of support and allowing these Chinese to have free run they manage to bulldozed our home grown companies .

People who cannot afford will be suffering though but here hoping it will be short phased and soon Indian companies start giving them good stuff for good value .

I am happy that Chinese scum are being run after. For a change, Homegrown companies are being favoured. Chinese have done this in their own country by shielding their own even in IP crimes, even abetting them. Nothing wrong if India is doing it, that even within legal framework.

There will be initial disruption, but some Indian companies will emerge from this. Initial benefit will be "Assembled In India" which will eventually evolve to "Make In India".

dont forget the data they will sell
Really do have difficulty touching anything that has Meta involvement, along with Google. They are probably really mining the hell out of JioFiber, telecom and all Jio apps usage.

I am sure the same would be happening with Chinese too. At least the data will be in India, In Indian hands. Better Indians benefitting than Chinese Scum.

Chinese scum I agree , but for us end users mota Bhai will sell a feature phone at 10 k now , we may go back 10 years . The last jio Android phone failed . It was too expensive for less than mediocre hardware . Now Nokia too will sell sd 450 chip or unisoc processor phones with 2 GB ram and 32 GB storage with 720p HD screens at 11999. In the end we will be the losers I guess , and a few select Indian businessmen will profit to offset high 5g spectrum price buying .

Back