India wins the under 19s World Cup!!

India Under-19s 159 (Srivastava 46, Parnell 2-21, Arnold 2-30) beat South Africa Under-19s 103 for 8 (Hendricks 35, Arghal 2-7, Jadeja 2-25) by 12 runs (D/L method)

The Indian bowlers first blew the South African top order away and then, after heavy rains had reduced the match to 25 overs, held their nerves to win their second Under-19 World Cup. After dismissing India for 159, South Africa batted like they were caught in the headlights, failing to get the ball off the square and losing three wickets in the first 8.4 overs before rain intervened. That meant they were left with the tall order of scoring 99 off 98 balls when play resumed.

Reeza Hendricks and Wayne Parnell batted better after the break, but despite two dropped chances and a missed stumping, they couldn't hit too many boundaries on the damp outfield. Hendricks and Parnell added 50 for the fifth wicket in 57 balls, but Hendricks fell at a crucial juncture for 35 off 43. South Africa, at that time, required 44 off five overs.

After Ajitesh Argal's two wickets at the start of the innings, left-arm spinners Ravindra Jadeja and Iqbal Abdullah struck at regular intervals to peg South Africa back. They conceded only 12 off their final overs, leaving Siddarth Kaul 19 runs to defend in the last over. The first ball was paddled by Bradley Barnes past short fine-leg for four, but the next five deliveries yielded only two as South Africa lost by 12 runs.

Cricinfo.com

Yippiee!! Double win for india today. :clap:

The under19s won a final tht seemed to be heading SA's way with a meagre 159 on the scoreboard. And yet, India defended it well till the end.!!

And the Seniors beat those morons in the first final. :clap: Sachin rulzzz!!!! :hap2:

Well done, guys!! Rock on!! :hap2:

yep me too....quite a good game, very close...lot of dropped catches and missed stumpings but then they won so doesnt matter :p two ICC world cups belong to us now...

I was actually disappointed we had to win by the D-L mehtod. The D-L method is so goddamned unfair.

I am happy India won, but the D-L rule is so freaking biased. I wonder if this would have been the case if rains had not intervened.

Nikhil said:
I was actually disappointed we had to win by the D-L mehtod. The D-L method is so goddamned unfair.

I am happy India won, but the D-L rule is so freaking biased. I wonder if this would have been the case if rains had not intervened.

Eitherways we would have won, those SA batsmen could not play our slow bowlers at all....:eek:hyeah:

^^.. actually.. they couldnt handle our pacemen..

even in the league phase, wen we beat them by 6 wickets.. it was our pacemen who did the damage.. pradeep sangwan got 5 wickets in tht game.

I watched the final 5 overs or so... The Under 19 team did look like a bunch of kids :p... And Nikhil its fair that we won cause we have been on the other side of D/L too... Good thing about the U19 team was that they won all their matches... None was lost... So they were the deservingly winners...

The closing ceremoney was totally washed out cause of the rain... And the poor man of the match did not even had the chance to collect his award :p...

I have to agree with Nikhil, many a time the D-L method is unfair to chasing teams as the target is not revised downwards in accordance to the number of overs reduced. In this case, the target of 160 in 50 overs was reduced to 116 of 25 overs. Admittedly they had lost 4 wickets when the calculation was effected, so it wasnt completely unfair either. But i still feel it could do with a few changes

Back