Industry guidance for BI/BO in India

As the title says, can anyone provide with the current industry requirements for Business Intelligence/ Business Objects. What are the pre-requisites to be completed for applying to this course.
I am a B.E. fresher in computers. What am i supposed to know before applying to this technology.
Thanks..

Hi Tejas,
Hope i am not disappointing you with my comments. But the other TE members can correct me if i am wrong.
But, as a fresher esp in the services IT cos., you dont really have a choice.
The cos. first induct you into the company and then will put you thru various courses on technologies.
After that based on their requirement, they'll allot a number of resources to the various technologies.
Please do drop me a note if you need more info on this.

Regards,
Vikram.

As a freshers you wont have a pick on what technology or role you will be assigned.

This is the case with all our homegrown n other MNCs operating in India.

Also ..
current industry requirements
.. is a verry loose term .. :p

dexBG said:
As a freshers you wont have a pick on what technology or role you will be assigned.

This is the case with all our homegrown n other MNCs operating in India.

Also .. .. is a verry loose term .. :p
What i was thinking is that, there is lot of scope in this field. And the technology being relatively new, there must be some pre-requisites a person should know before he is assigned to projects based on this technology. So if i am a fresher and if i do a course on BI/BO, do i need some prior- knowledge before attending this course like how its preferred in SAP

vikram ravi said:
Hi Tejas,

Hope i am not disappointing you with my comments. But the other TE members can correct me if i am wrong.

But, as a fresher esp in the services IT cos., you dont really have a choice.

The cos. first induct you into the company and then will put you thru various courses on technologies.

After that based on their requirement, they'll allot a number of resources to the various technologies.

Please do drop me a note if you need more info on this.

Regards,

Vikram.
sure.. could you throw some more light on this one. Will be beneficial for all.

Thanks..

I have been working in the BI space for 3 years now.
As i said earlier, if you are inducted as freshers, you'll be exposed to the basics of most of technologies.
But, if you are really keen on pursuing BI, then would suggest you to get a hang of the basics of 'Data warehousing' (dwh).
Google for Datawarehousing basics and you'll get tons of info. You can also try and understand the differences between ralph kimball vs inmon approaches to dwh.
Also, you can try and understand the differences between an ETL tool (e.g Informatica, Datastage) and a reporting tool (e.g. Business objects, Abinitio).
I'd not suggest you to attend any courses outside at an institute as they themselves dont have much of hands-on. If they have, they'd be working at an IT firm. Not teaching. ;-)
Just kidding, no offense meant to all the trainers out there.
I dont want to dampen your spirits by saying that you might not really have a choice.
But, if you get a hang of the basics then probably you will have a slight edge over the others and who knows ??!! you might also be able to convince your supervisors in a company to put you into BI. :)
All the best.
Please PM me if you want any further info.

Regards,
Vikram.

Back