Inexpensive phone + Whatsapp

theruler

Disciple
I'm looking to buy a phone, and a phone only. Sounds stupid, but im a little tired of all this smartphone jazz. It annoys me to no end that we run behind quad core processors or 2 gigs of ram when the phone can hardly get by a day's usage. So anyhow, end rant, and i was saying the i needed a phone. Since i use it rather often, i'll need one which supports whatsapp. Nokia's S40 seem to fit the bill perfectly. from their website,

• Nokia C3-00; Nokia C3-01; Nokia X2-01 ; Nokia X3-02; Nokia X2-00
  • Nokia Asha: 201 ; 300 ; 302 ; 303 ; 306 & 311

Are the phones which can support whatsapp. But most of the providers don't seem to be supported - airtel/voda/docomo. Any pointers please?

Budget is around 3k. Extensible if need be. But I don't see the need, because im just looking for a feature phone. Not concerned by glaring omissions (for eg) like lack of microsd card.
Not looking for a touch screen either. Anyhow I don't think it's likely there are gonna be touchscreens available at 3k but with brands like micromax you never know. Are any of the above phones affected by the Nokia speaker leak?

I was considering the guru 1232 prior to realizing that I do actually use whatsapp quite often.
Thanks guys.

That's what it says on the website. And a quick google search gave results where people had it running on their asha 200 which isn't supposed to be supported at all. It's pretty unclear- your phone may support it but your carrier may not.

If the phone supports it and you have a GPRS connection, how does the carrier make any difference?
It works fine on my friends asha 302
exactly - i dont see a reason for it not to work if the phone supports it and has a data connection. but the whatsapp site says it doesnt support networks like airtel and vodafone. while that doesnt make sense, it must be put up there for a reason. so just carrying out due diligence before buying a phone. whatsapp is gaining huge popularity and im sure this thread will be useful to others as well.

and thanks, at least i know that 302 supports whatsapp just fine.

Nokia 302 Asha seems to be a good option.
Nice qwerty keypad and comes along with Whatsapp preinstalled.

Only few disadv were that you cannot adjust the brightness level and the camera has a fixed focus with no flash.
Else for a phone costing about 6100/- its very decent.

Are you sure Whatsapp is available for S40 phones? I tried installing it in my mother's Asha202 but it wouldn't.

Yes it is.
302 Asha is S40 based and Whatsapp is already onboard straight out of the box.

Several models of the Asha series come with Whatsapp out of the box.
I have a friend who has the C3-00 and Whatsapp being supported on it, she installed it post purchase. Not a very happy experience for her. Messages reach her phone very late, sometimes even 24 hours later. She is the only one I know who uses Whatsapp on S40. Her carrier is Reliance.
Another colleague's wife had one of the Nokia X series phones which was not on the Whatsapp S40 supported list. He was able to download and install whatsapp and it worked. That was docomo.
We get the same file working on my old 6303 but it would not install at all. So better try it out on the model you intend to buy if that is at all possible.

Someone in the Marketplace is selling HTC Explorer. Get that and you're good to go. You never know when you need to do something extra with your phone. So buying an inexpensive Android phone is a decent solution too. I used it for 2 months and was primarily using Whatsapp (to stay in touch with GF) and Map (Some rural research, so was on the road.). The battery would last at least 36 hours. And listening to 4-5 songs in a day. Or else, see if you can find Nokia X2-01. Mu\y sister uses whatsapp on it and can send me all the emoticons and words and pictures in nano seconds. Here's a used one for 2K on ebay: http://www.ebay.in/itm/NOKIA-X2-01-...bile_Phones&hash=item25771c976c#ht_500wt_1156

Back