Mac OS Installing OSX for the first time

clown_abhi

Skilled
Hey guys,

After lot of hesitation, i have finally decided to give Mac OSX a try...:p

Currently i have a PC with lot of partitions and 1 free partition for OSX.
I read through lots of guides on how to install using the Kalway DVD.

What i needed to be sure is

1. If i want to install OSX on the partition i have kept for it, will my other partitions be safe without any impacts et all...
2. Can i dual boot OSX with Windows 7 x64 or Vista x64?
3. Is there a 32bit and 64bit of OSX as well?
4. Will OSX have all general software including multimedia and maintenance tools or i'll have to download it?
5. If i have to download any software for OSX, i think its not exe, right? So, how do i install it?
6. Finally, if i get bored of OSX and want to get back to only Windows with all my other partitions intact, is dat possible without any issues?

I know its a lot of questions but being a newbie to OSX, i have even hell lot of questions more...:p

Thanks for ur time guys...:)

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
5. Most apps for OS X come included in a .dmg file, you just need to mount the image and drag and drop the app in Applications folder.
A file with the extension .dmg (an abbreviation for disk image) uses a proprietary disk image format commonly found on Mac OS X. The format allows secure password protection as well as file compression and hence serves both security and file distribution functions. Its most common function is the distribution of software over the Internet. When opened, DMG files are "mounted" as a drive within the Finder.

6. Yes.

So, can i select the partition to install the OS, as in Windows?

For any applications i want say iWork, i will get a DMG file from the net(or it will be included in the OS) and then what? How to load it? Or just copy the DMG file in Applications folder? And it will work?

^^Double-click on the .dmg file. It will then automatically get mounted...

Then drag and drop the app in the Applications folder..

clown_abhi said:
So, can i select the partition to install the OS, as in Windows?

For any applications i want say iWork, i will get a DMG file from the net(or it will be included in the OS) and then what? How to load it? Or just copy the DMG file in Applications folder? And it will work?

Yes, during the installation you will see a dialog box that will let you choose the desired partition.

Some applications like iWork, iLife and some other system suites are installed through the typical wizard based installation, after you mount the .dmg for iWork launch the installer and it'll do the rest.

I suggest you not to complicate things at this juncture, once you start using the OS itself you will figure out most things by yourself.:)

Well, thanks both of u...:)

My only concern is to keep my data safe all through the process which i am worried since this is not the typical Windows installation...

Also, is the Kalway DVD which i should go for or are there any better ones dat u guys can suggest?

Hey abhi hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread :p Need to clear some Hackintosh doubts .. and I am also a bit concerned about installing it perfectly.

Till now i had not given OS X a try mainly due to absence of support for HD 48XX series , but recently i read that with the help of some hack HD4850/4870 are not completely supported on OS X.

So Ive got iPC OSx86 ver.10.5.6 Universal-PPF5-Final with me right now..but I have no idea how to go about installing it.
need some guidance. Quiet a lot of n00bie questions but err ..:ashamed: dont want to risk anything.

1) will a 30 GB NTFS partition be enough for trying out OSX ? do i need to change the file system of the partition ?

2) does the partition need to me active primary partition ?

3)I will be using it with Vista SP1\Win 7 in dual boot.( the Windows OS will be on a totally different Hard disk). Is that ok ?

4)What menu will i have to use for dual boot ? the Windows menu or some other OS X menu ?

5)can we read NTFS partitions from OSX and vice versa ?

6)Lastly whats the installation procedure ?
boot and install ?

Is it easy ? I read the "read me ",It says i need to select the driver/kexts related to my hardware.
What does that mean exactly ..and how do i know which kexts i need to select..(my hardware config is there in the sig :p)
Maybe Mods can make this thread a sticky and it can act as
" Guide to Hackintsoh installations " :hap2:

I'll try to answer some of ur questions based on what i learnt till now:

1. Yes, its more than sufficient. In fact i read that even 6GB is sufficient for OSX.
2. Yes, it has to be active for the dual boot. U can create the partition in Windows Vista and then make it unallocated. Then make it active using diskpart.
3. I think this should not be a problem since both would be active be it on different disks...
4. Dnt know, probably will know once i install the OSX. :p
5. I think OSX can read but not write into it. Still, experienced guys can tell better.
6. yes, its boot and install...

Here's a link for installing OSX in detail with pics...Its a great guide...
Testing Grounds: OSX Leopard 10.5.1 On A PC

Check it out. For dual boot u can refer to other guides like this one
The ultimate OSX on PC guide

Hope this helps u a lot...:p

Guys, is there something different for AMD and Intel, Nvidia or ATI, i mean installation procedure or DVD?
Also anything better than Kalway...Or iPC is better? What's the difference?

Yes iPC is better than Kalyway because it is the newer version (10.5.6) also has some additional kexts too.. :)
IMO, you should install iPC or XxX (both 10.5.6) rather than the older Kalyway..

Softwares like iLife '09 and iWork '09 require 10.5.6. So you will have to run "Apple Software Update" before you can install and run any of these apps..

This is the biggest difference I've seen in Kalyway and iPC which I've seen:
Suppose while installing, you install a wrong kext or do not select a suitable kext, you can easily install the necessary kext by just popping in the iPC DVD. Whereas, you can't do that in Kalyway. If any of the kext is not installed, you'll have to reinstall the whole OS again..

XXX edition overwrites the MBR and hence its not for newbies.
iPC, i dnt know, whether i can install it just on one partition without interfering with others and also if i can dual boot with iPC?

mihirpradhan204 said:
Yes iPC is better than Kalyway because it is the newer version (10.5.6) also has some additional kexts too.. :)
IMO, you should install iPC or XxX (both 10.5.6) rather than the older Kalyway..

Softwares like iLife '09 and iWork '09 require 10.5.6. So you will have to run "Apple Software Update" before you can install and run any of these apps..

This is the biggest difference I've seen in Kalyway and iPC which I've seen:
Suppose while installing, you install a wrong kext or do not select a suitable kext, you can easily install the necessary kext by just popping in the iPC DVD. Whereas, you can't do that in Kalyway. If any of the kext is not installed, you'll have to reinstall the whole OS again..

Back