Installing WinXP on Toshiba lappy - Help!!

funti

Disciple
Hi,
My friend had received a Toshiba lappy as a gift from his uncle. The CPU of this lappy was very poor (Intel celeron - single core - at 2.16 GHz) considering it came with Vista Basic. So we thought of downgrading the system to WinXP Pro SP3. But when we inserted the XP CD and boot from it the system initially started as it should but when I got the message "Windows is starting up" during XP installation the system hung-up with the famous Blue-Screen-of-Death. I thought the XP CD might have got some scratches leading to some corrupt files. So I got another XP CD for installation but the blue screen appeared again. I tried other Windows CD (including Win 2000) but after initial file loading all installations stopped. I then tried using Ubuntu Live CD to check the system but even that failed to start. I had seen that the lappy had Western Digital HDD so I used WD's Diagnostic CD to check the HDD. But even this s/w gave an error as "Drive not found"!! I then tried installing OpenSUSE 11.1. The installation went smoothly and my system was up and running without any problem. I again tried to install WinXP but the same error came back. Can somebody tell me what is happening? Why OpenSUSE works fine but all other OSes (including Ubuntu) fail to load? I am checking RAM modules, using memtest86+, for any defective module but can there be any other problem? I have also removed recovery partition (after creating recovery disks) that cam in the hidden partition of the HDD. Can somebody help me? :huh:

Why do I need to integrate anything with WinXP SP3? The lappy has GM45 chipset - do i need to integrate the drivers for this with SP3? How do I do it?

try to do this,go to bios look for advance option or something simillar,there will be an option sata mode,default it will be AHCI change it to compatibility.problem should be rectified

dracul said:
try to do this,go to bios look for advance option or something simillar,there will be an option sata mode,default it will be AHCI change it to compatibility.problem should be rectified

Thnx for the tip...WinXP is installed and running fine. But does compatibility mode affects the performance? Toshiba has given the driver for AHCI but that needs to be installed during XP installation process (by pressing F6) using floppy. Since my lappy doesn't have FDD so I can't install these drivers. Any other method to add these drivers or will I have to content with Compatibility mode itself?

Reformatting my Toshiba lappy PressF1. ... I'm working myself up to reformatting/reinstalling Windows XP Pro on my laptop (some of you ... As always - I appreciate the help I get on this forum! ... When I tried to install a particular programme that I use, on the laptop - no matter what I did, it wouldn't install. .

Back