Intel breaks silence on 13th and 14th-gen Raptor Lake desktop CPU instability issues

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Based on extensive analysis of Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors returned to us due to instability issues, we have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. Our analysis of returned processors confirms that the elevated operating voltage is stemming from a microcode algorithm resulting in incorrect voltage requests to the processor.

Intel is delivering a microcode patch which addresses the root cause of exposure to elevated voltages. We are continuing validation to ensure that scenarios of instability reported to Intel regarding its Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors are addressed. Intel is currently targeting mid-August for patch release to partners following full validation.

Intel is committed to making this right with our customers, and we continue asking any customers currently experiencing instability issues on their Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance.

i don't see intel have better cpus other than 10105f, 12400f 12600k, 13400, 13500 13600k and the price of these cpus are down and have better performance compare to amd offer at double price. however i am not sure with 14th gen.

Using this setup helps me keep the CPU running at optimal temperatures, even under 100% load, with only a 5% to 7% performance loss. Nowadays, whether it's Intel or AMD, CPUs often run at 80 degrees or higher.
Its good to be able to control what I want to achieve.

So basically back in the day when we were manually overclocking by increasing power limit and setting voltage to safe levels while verifying stable overclocks, is exactly what 13th & 14th gen do, except they crank up the voltage to insane levels to maintain the very high clocks required to beat AMD, and they're killing the processors in the...process.

My 13700k is rock solid, probably because I run it with PL1=PL2=200W (cooling reasons), but who knows if it's degrading measurably at these specs as well. Bought it back in 2022 Nov, so if oxidation is a thing, mine will probably have it. Kinda scummy how Intel is not releasing a statement beyond "we know it was an issue on 13th gen, but we fixed it later on".

I had a ryzen 5 2600 earlier, with all the USB instability issues (disconnects, usb 3 hubs not working with usb 3 ports), shitty memory speeds, latency. Upgraded to the 13700k and then this happens.

It's about time they did.
But that's not going to be fixing the existing chips. Let's hope they account for it in the next generation of chipsets atleast.

Intel is delivering a microcode patch which addresses the root cause of exposure to elevated voltages.

Intel's patch will not fix existing chips that have already developed the issue. Those have to be returned for newer batches after the August fix.
If they want to salvage even a teeny weeny bit of their reputation, they should really double the warranty on all of 13th and 14th gen.

Oh really tech guru . Show video or it didn’t happen
No need to get on the offensive side. The stock v/f line is kept very lenient to account for silicon quality (too little voltage for a target clock on lower quality chip and it'll crash). If your chip is good enough, you can undervolt it a little and still target same clocks without crashing, which in turn generates less heat, allowing you to delay thermal limits that decrease perf. Perhaps he should've said undervolting does not *necessarily* reduce perf.

Back