CPU/Mobo Intel CPU power consumption

Idle power consumption matters more than peak load for me. My 7600 is doing about 20-25W at idle. My old 3600 never went below 30W. Does anyone have Intel numbers?
Intel is usually half of AMD on idle. You should get Ryzen G series if you want low idle power on AMD.

Idle power consumption matters more than peak load for me. My 7600 is doing about 20-25W at idle. My old 3600 never went below 30W. Does anyone have Intel numbers?
You can measure your CPU's power usage using tools. On Linux, it's just a single command:
Bash:
sudo turbostat --Summary --quiet --show Busy%,Avg_MHz,PkgTmp,PkgWatt --interval 1

In my (limited) experience, laptop CPUs (both AMD and Linux), idle at around 0.1W and such. For the more recent generations, at least. I tested some Intel 12th gen laptop, and AMD Ryzen 7 5700U.
Desktop CPUs older than 7th gen used around 20-30W on idle for me, idk for AMD. Newer desktop CPUs can idle at far lower, similar to laptop ones.
That said, on a desktop, you have other things that might be using power, for eg. GPU, fans, lights, USB devices etc
On a laptop, a lot of power usage comes from the monitor and keyboard lighting on average.

You can measure your CPU's power usage using tools. On Linux, it's just a single command:
Bash:
sudo turbostat --Summary --quiet --show Busy%,Avg_MHz,PkgTmp,PkgWatt --interval 1

In my (limited) experience, laptop CPUs (both AMD and Linux), idle at around 0.1W and such. For the more recent generations, at least. I tested some Intel 12th gen laptop, and AMD Ryzen 7 5700U.
Desktop CPUs older than 7th gen used around 20-30W on idle for me, idk for AMD. Newer desktop CPUs can idle at far lower, similar to laptop ones.
That said, on a desktop, you have other things that might be using power, for eg. GPU, fans, lights, USB devices etc
On a laptop, a lot of power usage comes from the monitor and keyboard lighting on average.
I think here we are talking about gaming wattage usage . If we need to compare gaming wattage usage for 3 hours , who is going to win

I think here we are talking about gaming wattage usage . If we need to compare gaming wattage usage for 3 hours , who is going to win
Well, you could probably measure it using the command I posted and plot it in a graph. Though, I honestly doubt that matters much. If you turn on your PC, game on it, and then shut it down, the usage of either CPU will probably be similar. Heck, your PSU's efficiency would matter more than whatever power your CPU used.
That being said, I replied to the comment about idle usage, because that matters a lot to me as well. My computer is on most of the time, after all. Shutting it down is rather uncommon for me. Mostly because I just like resuming where I last left it without trouble.

Also, if you want benchmarks of CPU usage with power results, I suggest looking up Phoronix which does all of this quite regularly!
Here are two images from their site:
One for power consumption, and the other shows the geometric mean of the results (highest being the fastest/best)
1709980057594.png
1709980068758.png

Source:

You can also just search “power consumption” for more broader results:

Back