CPU/Mobo Intel IPC (single core) over the years ...

Improvement over what? The IPC difference is 6% over baseline Conroe. The only improvements have been in memory efficiency, pipeline and cache handling, TDP, and instruction sets, none of which are covered by that specific benchmark :)

It's interesting that the basic core performance has basically remained unchanged over the last eight years, and yet prices have continued to rise, as well as overall performance. The bottleneck was never the core. That's what is interesting to me.

I don't see 10% baseline improvement over a single generation as significant as the power consumption decrease over the same generation. Probably just me.

What is striking is the 300% improvement that the mobile processor brought for Intel. Those who were around then will remember that Conroe was the desktop version of a laptop chip that was designed by a small Israeli acquisition of Intel's, because all they could muster up were lots of megahertz - at one point reachimg ridiculous levels - and massively long pipelines. Which basically led to the infamy that was Presshot. Intel was making lots of fumbles *ahem* Rambus *ahem* but since they had been in the game for very long they had the funds to dig themselves out of a hole.

Given that long term desktop future is uncertain, maybe looking hard at mobile is what Intel needs to do again. After all, that's where Conroe came from.

Back