Laptops Intel NUC clicks while booting, doesn't boot

jammy420

Adept
I am having an INTEL NUC that was unused for some time. I successfully installed Ubuntu. After that, I formatted the hard drive as wanted only windows and tried installing Windows. I was partitioning and it got stuck on that screen for a while. I am not sure if I disconnected the power or it shut down automatically. Now it does not even come up.

step 1: 1. NUC switches on.
step 2: 3 blink of blue light followed by a click sound and then it goes off.

It repeats again and again till I remove the power. No display on the screen

Tried changing the hard drive. That is not an issue. memory or HDD should not be the issue as the same issue is seen without installing both

Last edited:
either memory or maybe bios has become corrupted. try pressing F2 repeatedly when it starts. If by chance you get into bios, reset it to defaults. Only other problem i can think of is ac adapter is bad.

Try intel NUC forums.maybe they can help. Some people there look down on Indians and give nasty replies though.

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/nuc

Edit: seems like you already posted there. That guy who replied to you is the one that gives nasty replies.

I remembered another thing. Check to see if your ram is installed properly. One when I took the ram out, I did not seat it properly and I saw the same blinking blue lights.

The NUC's power supply's over current protection is kicking in. Its either dead or there is something that is causing a short.

Even I am of this opinion... Because, even after removing the hard drive and memory, still there is no boot menu or display

Were you able to resolve this? How was Intel support?
Intel support is good. They called me up and also responded to my emails then. I think that was a bad RAM issue. but got rid of that NUC... but anyway got another NUC from TE. which eventually ran into a similar issue. Once in a while it doesn't boot, even when I press the power button. Maybe the power button is faulty or something. this problem occurs once in a while though. I am living with this for a while. :) .. I never shut it down. Put it in sleep mode. my experience with both NUCs had been not so happier ones. but those are used NUCs. both from TE I guess. If you get a new one, you may not face such issue

No I don't. I'm wondering whether to recommend it for someone looking for a no fuss PC?
Which Gen NUC do you have?
8th gen NUC8i5BEH. I got them for 22K each. I will personally recommend them. It's been fuss free experience till now. Pair with an NVME SSD and decent ram. Now look for 11th gen NUCs as they have more headroom (40w tdp vs 28w tdp for 8th gen)

8th gen NUC8i5BEH. I got them for 22K each. I will personally recommend them. It's been fuss free experience till now. Pair with an NVME SSD and decent ram. Now look for 11th gen NUCs as they have more headroom (40w tdp vs 28w tdp for 8th gen)
great but overpriced as of now..?
i remember last time nuc were under 15k range..

Celeron, 5th gen i5s, i3s, 8th gen i5 NUC8i5BEH.
Can you tell me what are the max temps you are hitting on NUC8i5BEH? I had tripped the thermal limits for first time while playing a game. I have changed the fan mode from balanced to cool and yet the temps are going 90C+ while gaming. Is it normal?

Can you tell me what are the max temps you are hitting on NUC8i5BEH? I had tripped the thermal limits for first time while playing a game. I have changed the fan mode from balanced to cool and yet the temps are going 90C+ while gaming. Is it normal?
that nuc will obviously throttle if gamed on in current country wide temps.
there is an option to set full speed on the nuc fan have you tested out?

That's pretty normal for this model from the research i've done. Mine will reach in a day or two. You can see if leaving the top cover off helps with temps.
Under clocking is also an option. There is also an app that helps control the turbo boost. That might also help keeping temps around 70-80.

Its a 28W cpu in what is generally a 15W processor chassis. Even NVME drives go very hot with no direct cooling.

Back