CPU/Mobo Intel sandy bridge Preview

adder

Skilled
Anandtech has a preview of Intel next generation architecture code named Sandy Bridge.
Badnews is you need a new motherboard.

Part of Conclusion
If Intel's roadmap and pricing hold true, then the Core i5 2400 should give you an average of 23% better performance than the Core i5 760 at the same price point. If we compare shipping configurations, the Core i5 2400 should actually perform like a Core i7 880 despite not having Hyper Threading enabled. Clock for clock however, Sandy Bridge seems to offer a 10% increase in performance. Keep in mind that this analysis was done without a functional turbo mode, so the shipping Sandy Bridge CPUs should be even quicker. I'd estimate you can add another 3 - 7% to these numbers for the final chips. That's not bad at all for what amounts to a free upgrade compared to what you'd buy today. Power consumption will also see an improvement. Not only will Sandy Bridge be noticeably quicker than Lynnfield, it'll draw less power.

Sandy Bridge's integrated graphics is good. It's fast enough to put all previous attempts at integrated graphics to shame and compete with entry level discrete GPUs. The fact that you can get Radeon HD 5450 performance for free with a Core i5 2400 is just awesome.

Read more
The Sandy Bridge Preview - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Sandy Bridge is looking hot. I'm suprised at such powerful IGP, but I expect that Llano will be better(has HD5670 level GPU, 4 times stronger than HD5450).

Back