Internet addiction on the rise.........

mrmash

Disciple
Psychologists say the problem could become as complex a societal issue as drug abuse, even as parents struggle to get always-connected teens to log off.

A 15-year-old Pune student addicted to the Internet tried to attack his mother with a kitchen knife recently when she tried to turn off his computer and take away his smartphone.

No one was injured, but the shocking case highlights hardto-treat psychological problems caused by excessive dependence on technology.

Woke up to this piece of disturbing news in Mumbai Mirror. Boy tries to stab mom for cutting internet access

This trend of giving young children too much access is leading to psychiatric issues in our young generation. They are becoming socially awkward and increasingly volatile.

Someone in my office who worked for 3 years QUIT when we tracked a lot of unwanted usage of social media sites.
Person's response was : I wont be able to work productively if I dont get access to facebook, twitter etc. :eek:
This person is 30 + years old o_O
Go figure !!!

i had read an article which stated tech addicts of japan preferred virtual sex to real sex. also another where a man was so attached to his wife in virtual life that he stopped caring abt his real life

Woke up to this piece of disturbing news in Mumbai Mirror. Boy tries to stab mom for cutting internet access

This trend of giving young children too much access is leading to psychiatric issues in our young generation. They are becoming socially awkward and increasingly volatile.
NO WHERE IN that article is the definition of 'internet addiction' ever given.

Its just asserted here & there.

eg. AMA defines alcoholics as people that need two drinks a day. as in must have a couple of drinks every day. Not get drunk, act disroderly or beat up people, just must have at least two drinks a day every day.

^ Its not defined as such. But experts and psychiatrists are quoted blaming the behaviour on excessive time spent on internet, smartphone and online gaming.

^ Its not defined as such. But experts and psychiatrists are quoted blaming the behaviour on excessive time spent on internet, smartphone and online gaming.
What is excessive. Its relative to something. What is that something.

What is the correct time to spend on internet, smartphone and online gaming :)

When & where is that line if it exists and is defined, crossed.

When & where is that line if it exists and is defined, crossed.

The same can be true for any addiction.

1.What is Internet Addiction Disorder?
Internet addiction is defined as any online-related, compulsive behavior which interferes with normal living and causes severe stress on family, friends, loved ones, and one’s work environment. Internet addiction has been called Internet dependency and Internet compulsivity. By any name, it is a compulsive behavior that completely dominates the addict’s life. Internet addicts make the Internet a priority more important than family, friends, and work. The Internet becomes the organizing principle of addicts’ lives. They are willing to sacrifice what they cherish most in order to preserve and continue their unhealthy behavior.

Source

As much as i would like to deny, i am an internet addict to some degree. However, i am trying to curtail my net usage by supplanting this wasted time on more fruitful activities ( exercise/hobbies).

I think these people are addicted to Social media sites, not the internet itself.

I personally use the internet for 16+ hours a day, but I don't use social media. The only social networking account that I have is of Facebook and and I very rarely view it and I don't post anything at all. I don't like it when I don't have Internet access, but I can definitely do without internet when required.

On the other hand, even though I haven't been reading books lately, I always have had the habit of reading interesting books for long hours (anywhere from 3 to 10 hours in a single stretch) and usually finishing them in one sitting and also reading them again several times over. Even when I was in school, I used to read and finish the English non-detailed texts in a single sitting the very day the books were bought. By the end of the year, I would have read them start to end more than a 100 times. There were several occasions when I finished 300+ page books in a single sitting at night.

I am not sure if that can be called a sort of addition, but that's exactly why I don't like it when I don't have computer or internet access, because then I would pick up books and end up reading them night and day.

I think these people are addicted to Social media sites, not the internet itself.

I personally use the internet for 16+ hours a day, but I don't use social media. The only social networking account that I have is of Facebook and and I very rarely view it and I don't post anything at all. I don't like it when I don't have Internet access, but I can definitely do without internet when required.

On the other hand, even though I haven't been reading books lately, I always have had the habit of reading interesting books for long hours (anywhere from 3 to 10 hours in a single stretch) and usually finishing them in one sitting and also reading them again several times over. Even when I was in school, I used to read and finish the English non-detailed texts in a single sitting the very day the books were bought. By the end of the year, I would have read them start to end more than a 100 times. There were several occasions when I finished 300+ page books in a single sitting at night.

I am not sure if that can be called a sort of addition, but that's exactly why I don't like it when I don't have computer or internet access, because then I would pick up books and end up reading them night and day.

Damn. That's exactly what I used to do. Have read every single book in my local library's children section at least twice. We used to get 2 books for a 14 day period, but I used to be back the very next day for 2 more books. I can't even remember how many times I have read the novels by Jules Verne and Jack London.Have read books with more than 700-800 pages in one sitting. I think I should go back to reading books again as I have very short attention span these days. Can't even watch a full movie in a stretch unless at the movie halls.

^^ Nobody living in cities (except maybe in Chandigarh) have the luxury of quiet surroundings. My building is beside a road near to a cross road and its full of traffic (buses, cars and two wheelers) and exceptionally noisy with horns honking and people shouting etc. But once you get used to it, your brain starts ignoring and erasing all that noise from your sensory data. You still hear it when you try to hear it, but otherwise it simply becomes part of the background.

When I am concentrating on something, be it reading a book or something on the computer, distractions don't even register. There were a number of times when I don't even catch people talking to me at home or office. On the other hand, listening to any sort of music (especially with headphones) is a big distraction for me. I never understood how other people manage to concentrate while listening to music. Some even claim that they cannot work without it. Music is sort of like a addiction for them maybe.

^^ Nobody living in cities (except maybe in Chandigarh) have the luxury of quiet surroundings. My building is beside a road near to a cross road and its full of traffic (buses, cars and two wheelers) and exceptionally noisy with horns honking and people shouting etc. But once you get used to it, your brain starts ignoring and erasing all that noise from your sensory data. You still hear it when you try to hear it, but otherwise it simply becomes part of the background.

When I am concentrating on something, be it reading a book or something on the computer, distractions don't even register. There were a number of times when I don't even catch people talking to me at home or office. On the other hand, listening to any sort of music (especially with headphones) is a big distraction for me. I never understood how other people manage to concentrate while listening to music. Some even claim that they cannot work without it. Music is sort of like a addiction for them maybe.

Same here. Though, I live in Chandigarh so I do get some relief, but we have a busy road just next to our house. But once I am reading a book, it doesn't matter. If I am too engrossed, I wouldn't even hear what someone is saying to me.
I can't listen to music when reading a novel but I couldn't study without listening to music. It's strange but it is what it is. Had to change a lot when moved to the hostel where my roomie couldn't study with music. Tried with earphones but it didn't work so ended up kicking the roomie out of the room during our study hours.[emoji23][emoji12]

music is a distraction as our brains can't multi-task. but music helps us to learn/remember things just like fragrances help our brains to remember experiences/places/emotions.

i've lived in quite places throughout my life and now it's getting difficult for me to adjust to unnecessary noises. we shifted to GanwarGaon in 2011 and i haven't been able to read any book since then.

Moderation is key here. If you give unlimited access to technology when kids were young and then try to take it back in their teenage years, then of course it is going to cause issue.

I've seen people who are proud of their 5-6 year old kids playing Candy Crush. Like what the hell? A person can be tech-savvy at any age. No need to worry about your kids falling behind times or other such nonsense.

@Lord Nemesis, have you tried listening to movie background scores or music without any vocals when reading books? Like listening to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter score when reading fantasy. I personally think that it makes reading much more immersive.

Back