introducing awsumness - Audioengine A5

it took amost a month for me to decide on purchasing these and after spending many sleepless nights i gave my thumbs up to these :)

ordered them from bajaao.com for 18k shipped, ashutosh at bajaao was very supportive and explained the pros and cons for both a2, a5 ... his word on these really helped coz i couldnt really audition them, pinged few people in the forum for the help but couldnt really find anyone who can help me with an audition of these, so now folks in bangalore, anybody thinking of buying these out, please feel free to PM me to audition them at my place..:)

here are some the pics i took, have been using them for a week now...

^bajaao shipped them from skylark express courier, the shippment was smooth, got them in like 10 days after paying the amount...

there are two layers of outer packing, one is the outer most which is again not a custom packing, bajaao folks didnt do any special packing for shippment

^wires and cables,what is most striking here is the care with which these speakers are packed,first good impression :) speaks about the care audioengine takes in manufacturing these speakers

^the speakers are covered with a velvelty type cloth

^another layer of covering

^back side of the speakers, notice the left speaker, has an external fuse replacement slot, it has like 2-3 level of power protection as compared to A2s which makes them stable, as contrary to my expectation the speakers dont look big and but at the same time look very compact and neatly designed

^front look of the speakers, again very neat with an asymmetric design

i somehow feel that they should have had front grills to protect the diaphragm atleast, coz you gotta keep them out of reach of kids, strong press against the diaphragm,dust cap, the surround layering can easily damage these parts.

i am sure the ipod dock like port on the top with a audio in and a usb cable charge port will really come handy for those who would play them most with ipod, thr are two audio-in port, you can connect the speakers to both ipod and your system/desktop, the speakers can receive the input from both these ports simultaneously..you dont have to disconnect one to enable the other port

intial observation/brief review after 1 week of usage - well i plug them to my desktop and they dont disappoint, the sound is full, rich and has a fulfilling feel in it, the bass is the most striking, it fills up ur room and is more deep and engrossing, though on the other side at time the bass feels as if it dominates and tends to overshadow the other aspects of the music.

but still i find the bass more powerful, till today i never had listen to better speakers which has such fulfilling bass reproduction, it almost feels as if thrs a sub attached with them.speakers are really loud, couldnt really be able to move the knob beyond 30% :( or else my landlord will throw me out of the house :mad:

some caveats, i feel people who would listen to music at low volumes might feel that the sound is not fulfilling...n then the next thing you would want to do is to tune them to make them sound perfect, well the improvement in the sound is noticable once you tune them a bit, i have been trying it out using my srs wow effect visualizer in my macbook and the overall SQ improves. positoning them again would be critical.

Till now i would say that i feel there is something still missing in the overall performance of these speakers, may be its the EQ settings or the burn in time...but i feel they can perform much better...

i would leave it til here and would ask you guys for your suggestions on anything related to these speakers..thanks guys for helping me on this purchase..would try to write a detailed review after couple of months usage..

P.S feel free to PM me if you want to audition them at my place

Congrats on the purchase! :)

PS: Please post scaled down images. This thread is eating a lot of bandwidth!

congrats dude...this is an awsom purchase for sure...my bro has the A2's and i was very impressed with those too...felt lik stealing them :)

enjoy the speakers

About the sound being not "fulfilling" enough at lower volumes, is it possible that the source has something to do with that?

And about the A5- Congrats- they are worth every penny imho. :)

The A5 is really a major upgrade over the A2 in terms of overall sound- the A2 feels like a big compromise after listening to the A5. :)

thanks BIKeINSTEIN :)

could be with the source, but my macbook has a pretty decent output, i listen to music on my hd202 and they just sound fantastic, i am thinkin of observing them for another 2 months and then give a thought of having an external sound card, bt would surely try out different sources (my ipod etc) and would let u guys know about my findings!!
BIKeINSTEIN said:
About the sound being not "fulfilling" enough at lower volumes, is it possible that the source has something to do with that?

And about the A5- Congrats- they are worth every penny imho. :)
The A5 is really a major upgrade over the A2 in terms of overall sound- the A2 feels like a big compromise after listening to the A5. :)

Back