iOS iOS files sync

LaatSahab

Skilled
What's the best way to access(read and write) files(to and from) an iOS device such as iPhone and a Windows 10 machine? Simple Plug and Play of Windows Explorer doesn't always works when copying files from iOS and iTunes is of no help either in this regard.

Download an app named 'Documents' made by Readdle Inc. on your iOS device. It's a full fledged file explorer where we can also connect to our various cloud storage services, ftp/sftp server, WebDAV server, SMB server and also to our Desktop/Laptop. Your iOS device & your Desktop/Laptop must be connected to the same network to transfer files between them. We can transfer files from this 'Documents' app to any other app like Apple's 'Files' app. We can also open all major file formats within this Documents app & can also organise our files in various folders.

I use this app extensively on my iPad. I hope I've helped you!

This is a solution for folks like us. I'm looking for a wire based plug and play kind of solution for non-tech savvy people, people who don't even know what's the specs of their iPhone are.

This is a solution for folks like us. I'm looking for a wire based plug and play kind of solution for non-tech savvy people, people who don't even know what's the specs of their iPhone are.
Well I honestly feel it doesn't get simpler than Documents by Readdle for syncing between iOS and non iOS devices.
But what you could do to make it a bit simpler (compared to configuring local network setting and settips up a samba/ftp server) is to connect it to one of your cloud storage services (Google drive, Dropbox, onedrive etc). So this way whatever you put in your cloud will also be visible on your iOS device, and you can upload stuff from your device to the cloud as well. This is how I personally use it.

iPhone does show folders in plug and play but it’s mostly image libraries, which is basically useless.

For others, you need iTunes. Most apps have their own storage so you need iTunes to access them. In iTunes, you need to go applications/files tab. In there there would be individual apps and their own storage. For eg, I used to transfer pdfs into adobe reader app directly from here. Otherwise, you’ll need to use the file manager technique advised above and open the file in the required app.

Understandably, it’s unnecessarily convoluted and not user friendly at all.

Last edited:
Back