IP address tracking and Legal implication advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekarraja

Recruit
One of my relatives worked in an organization in a higher role, had grievances, and had to quit. However, before joining the organization he had left a government job and joined here. so the organization paid monetary compensation and also had a legal agreement signed that no information about their org could be shared outside and some blah blah blah.

But he had some vengeance for all the happenings during his presence and out of his non-IT knowledge, created some fake email IDs in gmail in the name of ED, HRD, and some govt organizations and had sent emails to the organizations as if the government body has sent. Not used VPN. Used his personal apple iphone to access those IDs. Also raised some personal complaints from his own email IDs to govt orgz.
Now the organization has issued a legal notice claiming that such fake email IDs originated from his iPhone IP address.

My questions are:

1. as far as I know, his iPhone's IP address is traceable, if the other party had approached ISP. He was using the same iPhone during his presence in the organization also. Will it be the same IP address when he was in the organization and now also?
2. if he changes the iphone's IP address now, can he escape from the legal implications claiming that the fake email addresses originated elsewhere.
3. any other inputs on the issue

1. as far as I know, his iPhone's IP address is traceable, if the other party had approached ISP. He was using the same iPhone during his presence in the organization also. Will it be the same IP address when he was in the organization and now also?
2. if he changes the iphone's IP address now, can he escape from the legal implications claiming that the fake email addresses originated elsewhere.
3. any other inputs on the issue
1. During cyber investigation it will be easily found that his phones imei was registered on his sim aka telecom operator and so the IP addess. No escaping here irrespective of handset change.
2. NO.
3. HE has clearly committed a crime here. So no chance of escape whatsoever. The org. can sue him to any tune claiming damages both as monetary compensation and jail depending under relevant IPC sections.

Last edited:
Lawyer can guide in 2 ways :

1. Defence against libel is truth. If the statements that he mentioned in those emails etc are true in some ways, a skillful lawyer can save him.

2.As for the agreements, a labour lawyer can tell him if the agreements themselves were legally valid. Just because company asks an employee to sign an agreement, and employee signs, doesn't mean that agreement is enforceable.

legal agreement signed that no information about their org could be shared outside and some blah blah blah.

But he had some vengeance for all the happenings during his presence and out of his non-IT knowledge, created some fake email IDs in gmail in the name of ED, HRD, and some govt organizations and had sent emails to the organizations as if the government body has sent.
Does this come under Civil or Criminal law?

Don't ask advise related to escaping a crime/felony here. Also assisting in such matters makes you an ally and thus a criminal too.
Want an actual useful advise? Speak to a lawyer.
obviously, that will be done. I was just checking the technical part

Lawyer can guide in 2 ways :

1. Defence against libel is truth. If the statements that he mentioned in those emails etc are true in some ways, a skillful lawyer can save him.
The way used here is simply unethical so no court or law can help here.
He could have instead sent a proper communication or a legal notice instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back