iOS iPad Mini 5 or iPad Mini 6 for watching videos, magazines, general browsing

raksrules

Elite
I am currently using an iPad 8th Gen and is my goto device for general browsing on websites, reddit, tapatalk and such. It is also my primary device for my video watching requirements at home and sometimes, I will download magazines and read them (not magzter app but through pdf files).
Now with my office starting soon via hybrid model, there will be days when I will need to go to office and I usually take office bus. I tend to use this time to watch tv shows on my current tablet (Fire 7). But I have always wanted to replace this with an iPad mini due to me already using other apple devices and I just like iPads more. Also official apps on Fire 7 have max resolution of 480p and even for downloaded content, it will sometimes struggle with high bitrate 1080p files.

I am thinking of buying the iPad Mini and selling off my 8th iPad and I understand that bigger screens are usually preferred but my use case is very specific. Now I am looking at used iPad mini 5 and new iPad mini 6. I believe I should be able to get a used 64GB Mini in reasonable price (have someone on olx who is willing to sell one at 21K, it is 1 year old and warranty expired in oct 2021, tempered glass applied since day 1). But i am also intrigued by the Mini 6 but that thing is pretty expensive (more than double the price of used mini 5) for being an iPad mini and I am struggling to justify buying a 6.
Also want to add that I usually never use my current iPad speakers and always have bluetooth earbuds connected. USB C although looks great on paper but I am not sure if I have its use. I almost never play games on iPad.

For my requirements, should I go with the Mini 5 vs the Mini 6?

The black bars on ipad ruin the experience of watching videos. For books, Its perfect.
If aspect ratio is not a problem, Just buy the older ipad.

The black bars on ipad ruin the experience of watching videos. For books, Its perfect.
If aspect ratio is not a problem, Just buy the older ipad.

Yes I am aware about the black bars and since I am anyways using the iPad 8th gen which would be i am guessing have same aspect ratio, I am sort of used to it.

I am currently using an iPad 8th Gen and is my goto device for general browsing on websites, reddit, tapatalk and such. It is also my primary device for my video watching requirements at home and sometimes, I will download magazines and read them (not magzter app but through pdf files).
Now with my office starting soon via hybrid model, there will be days when I will need to go to office and I usually take office bus. I tend to use this time to watch tv shows on my current tablet (Fire 7). But I have always wanted to replace this with an iPad mini due to me already using other apple devices and I just like iPads more. Also official apps on Fire 7 have max resolution of 480p and even for downloaded content, it will sometimes struggle with high bitrate 1080p files.

I am thinking of buying the iPad Mini and selling off my 8th iPad and I understand that bigger screens are usually preferred but my use case is very specific. Now I am looking at used iPad mini 5 and new iPad mini 6. I believe I should be able to get a used 64GB Mini in reasonable price (have someone on olx who is willing to sell one at 21K, it is 1 year old and warranty expired in oct 2021, tempered glass applied since day 1). But i am also intrigued by the Mini 6 but that thing is pretty expensive (more than double the price of used mini 5) for being an iPad mini and I am struggling to justify buying a 6.
Also want to add that I usually never use my current iPad speakers and always have bluetooth earbuds connected. USB C although looks great on paper but I am not sure if I have its use. I almost never play games on iPad.

For my requirements, should I go with the Mini 5 vs the Mini 6?
If you don’t see UsB C as advantage like directly trasnsfer files from mobile to ipad via ssd or directly watch movies from an external usb C Ssd. Then buy ipad 5th gen which comes with lightning cable. Or if you need USB C then definitely go for mini 6 . Recently I bought old ipad air 4. I mainly bought it for watching lectures movies from external device i.e ssd it’s just plug n play. You may get good deal old ipad mini 6 around 40k.nowadays all accessories are inclined towards USB C. So its a future proof.

The 5th Gen supports older Apple Pencil. Does not work with newer one.

I was in similar situation few yrs ago and decided to pick the the mini 5th gen. It’s a very interesting device and preferred by hobbyist and professionals(pilots, artists,etc)

The size is perfect for those who need a pocketable device on the go. It fits comfortably in a sling bag, car glovebox, or you backpack without adding any weight.

The hardware is no slouch either. It can comfortably run apps like Lumafusion or latest games comfortably. From content consumption to web browsing, you have no problem running it smoothly.

The only drawback I face is the lightning port. You do get OTG storage devices like Sandisk iXpand (prices have doubled) and lack of expansion dock support might limit certain capabilities like connecting to a monitor or reading via a memory card.

Does Apple Pencil work with older iPad mini? Would you not have any use for it now or in near future?

Yes the first gen pencil works. I even have it but actually almost never use It.

While I understand that USB C is future proof, the place I am struggling is I don't see myself connecting ipad to monitor nor to any external drive.

The offline videos I will download on my iPad will happen using the nPlayer tool from my external hdd connected to the RPi4 so it is all over wifi.

I feel that if I can get Mini 5 used for ~20-21K types, I don't need to spend double for 6

[mention]Mukeshmeena [/mention]
The best deal right now is 3K cashback over MRP. Also I feel mini 6 is overpriced for what it offers. It even had launched for pretty high price compared to what 5 was launched at.

Hunting for used iPad mini 5 for the price range I mentioned above.

Back