iPhone 4 vs. Galaxy SII

Hey guys, I've been an avid iPhone user (3G n currently 3GS) and honestly, I'm bored of iOS now. Want to try something else and only android comes into picture. I've shortlisted iPhone 4 White and Samsung Galaxy SII.

I have 2 worries: Firstly, Samsungs after few months of launch get a huge price drop which results in loss of resale value (atleast iPhone stays at the same stand till the next one is launched).

Secondly, Since, iOS has huuuuge app library, i'm quite spoiled by the small n handy day to day use apps which are very helpful like Indian Trains tracker, live flight tracker, flight track pro, loadz of dictionaries and pedias etc. I don't know if droid has so many apps to match the iOS.

Also, droid phones don't carry that bling factor with em which the iPhones have.

I intend to buy ONLY the macbook pro in coming few months and don't know if droid and lion would sync easily or have any problems?

I really like the Galaxy SII coz its very very powerful but i'm turned off by these 3 factors. Help me reach a conclusion on which one to buy.

P.S - Is it possible to use paid apps as cracked apps on droid like iOS (jailbreaking)

What do you want people to convince you? That android phones have the 'bling' factor? WTH is that even anyway?

Price drop is something no one can predict.

For apps, goto google market and see if the kind of apps you need are present there.

There is really no need to 'sync' your phone with your macbook. All your contacts, calender etc. are synced to your google account automatically.

Answer to P.S. - yes. and you don't even need to root(crude equivalent of jailbreaking) for that. But it's always better to support developers who spend a lot of time in developing apps by buying apps. also android has a higher % of free apps than iOS.

TBH though you seem pretty inclined towards the iphone. Maybe you should wait for the iphone 5 which launches in september. It will have a LOT of UI changes (iOS5, see the videos) and decent enough hardware.

There is no comparison between Iphone 4 compared to SGS 2, SGS 2 is way better iPhone 4 works very well within its boundaries but SGS 2 exceeds those boundaries and perform

Get SGS2 , great phone ,iphone4 doesnt come even near to it. new phones will always come like this u will keep on waiting n waiting.

By the time iphone 5 will b launched sgs3 might be close to launch and iphone 5 will b highly expensive at launch as were previous iphones.

Android has more apps than you will ever need.

Samsung prices don't really fall more than 3-5k in 6-12 months or so, at least for flagships until the next one comes out.

Ya, iPhone has more show off value. But everywhere else SGS2 is better IMO!

I've played around with both OSes and am currently using i4. My advice would be to wait for i5. For me, it all comes down to the quality of apps, something where apple has an indisputable upper hand. And its likely that its gonna stay this way, basically because apple just doesn't allow (too many) below par apps. Also, its things like push notifications, that many apple apps have started using, while on the android side, google did launch a similar service about a year ago, and not many app developers have taken to it. Its the little things too. Android might seem attractive and all, with its home screens, etc, but is it worth it?

However, the jailbreak scene doesn't look so good. iOS 5 is proving to be pretty difficult to crack. Even if they do come up with a jailbreak, what use is it if they take some 4-6 months? iPad 2 took long. I'm guessing you're a student, in which case its ok to pirate apps for us Indians, whose parents earn on a different scale compared to the west. However, once you start earning, i might suggest that you start buying the apps.

TL;DR : Just wait for the i5.

manu1991 said:
So if you're a student its ok to buy 30k phones but not pay 2-3$ for apps?

Only since the OP insisted on being able to pirate, have i mentioned it. And i do feel that the prices for apps should be different for different countries. The incomes are on a totally different scale compared to the initial target market for the apps, the first world countries.

So as a student, you have two options. Either you don't pairate, and make use of free apps, or pirate and use apps you'd definitely not have bought if you couldn't pirate them.

Your two problems are not an issue: almost all apps u find in iphone would be there in android.
the case of HUGE price drop is no an issue...its unlikely the price will be cut drastically as the hardware config is very high..(how many dual cores u know come below 20k? )
I have checked both phones...even though I would chooze the sgII if I was gonna spend 30k....there are 2 factors u can only have in an iphone...the bling factor and that great responsive screen.
So if u want brag factor..get the iphone and if u seriously want to use the smartphone (watch movies, listen to songs transfer files ect.)...go for SGII

SGS2>>IPhone 4 in terms of hardware. I4 was released a year back and SGS2 was released this year.

wait for Iphone 4S(September music event), else get SGS2.

For apps, u can use pirated app in both platform, but remember,

quality of the app in ios is far more better than android, in other word there is app for everything in ios.

the choice is urs....

techpal said:
Screen size of iphone 4 is so small by todays standards.

thats y there r releasing the iphone 4s with 3.7 or 4in likely.

But remember the sources said that IPhone 4s is of minor upgrade and iphone 5 is major upgrade

just like Ipad 2 and Ipad 3.

The iphone which releases in september whether its 4s or 5 will have to have a dual core processor otherwise there's no point and that alone makes it a major upgrade.

I would simply go for iPhone 4 because of the absolutely huge library of games in the App Store. It officially qualifies as a gaming device. Android phones don't come close.

Moreover, even if the SGS2 has more processing and GPU power, what would you need it for? There are no high graphics games available to squeeze it's juice. And iOS is as smooth as ever. With iOS 5 coming, you really need nothing more.

P.S. Go to toucharcade.com It's a great blog dedicated entirely to iOS gaming.

I

gREen said:
but remember,

quality of the app in ios is far more better than android, in other word there is app for everything in ios.

Can you elaborate this please ? I have iPhone 4 and Nook Color, an android tablet. First I bought tablet and whenever I read people saying quality of apps in iOS etc I thought there could be something. After getting iPhone 4, recently, I don't see any difference. May be your statement would have been correct if you had said it in last year. Currently Android market also growing. So, by quality of apps, what exactly you mean ? Quality of same app in both platforms or no. of same ? enlighten me if I am wrong.

@OP - wait for iPhone 4G/S/whatever. iPhone 4 is year old now, or better get SGS-II.

The comparison between iOS and Android about which is better is pointless. Each has its own unique features that makes us choose one. I chose iOS last year due to its polished interface and apps. This year I chose to stick with Android because of the its widgets options, various brand choices, technology/hardware advances etc. That does not mean iOS is bad, it is just my preference to choose android over it. So instead of making comparison, why not see what fits your requirements. You said you wanted a phone that is compatible with your macbook. For this either should be fine, but Iphone 4 has an upper edge due to Apple's own product.

One more thing I wanted to say is that you cannot compare SGS II with Iphone 4. Because hardware wise Iphone 4 is too outdated as SGS II is atleast two generations ahead of Iphone 4. The first one was Galaxy S and this is second gen. So from hardware standpoint, absolutely SGS II. But another question is do you need that power?

Back