iPod Nano 1G - SOS!

Just when I thought of giving my old ipod nano (1stGen - 1GB) to someone, it started acting up!
:mad:

The problem:

*It just stays (freezes) at the 'Apple logo' screen.

*When connected to the PC, it only charges itself, doesn't turn up on Windows.

Troubleshooting:

*Hard and Soft reset attempted. It does restart, only to get stuck on the Apple screen.

*Left the battery to drain and charged it again.

* ipod software reset/restore cannot be attempted as the the ipod isn't detected by the PC.

So I need inputs on what I can possibly do?
Get it repaired by the folks at Apple (Chennai) ? Or can it be repaired??

TIA.

Try doing the below steps

Hold down Select / Menu (to reboot the iPod)

As soon as the Apple logo appears, hold down Rewind / Select until you see a backwards Apple Logo.

At this point, you will have entered Diagnostic Mode. It'll test the RAM, and then tell you to "Hit play to continue". Hit 'Play'.

You'll be in a menu that you advance by hitting FF (Fast Forward). Advance to the 'DISKMODE' entry.

Hit 'Select.' This will put you into Firewire Disk mode. The screen should change to the familiar 'Do Not Disconnect' mode. At this point, connect it to the computer.

Ok, so I went back into the Diagnostics menu and started playing around with the options, to no avail.

Finally, figured I'd connect the iPod to the PC and then try the settings, esp. the RESET option.

And guess what!? :jumpy:

Restarts and gets to the "Do not Disconnect" screen!

Finally, restored it to the factory settings and downloading the latest firmware for it now.

Phew! Not a metal wafer after all. :eek:hyeah:

At this point, you will have entered Diagnostic Mode. It'll test the RAM, and then tell you to "Hit play to continue". Hit 'Play'.

It's 'MENU' to continue.

You'll be in a menu that you advance by hitting FF (Fast Forward). Advance to the 'DISKMODE' entry.

No such option.

Hit 'Select.' This will put you into Firewire Disk mode. The screen should change to the familiar 'Do Not Disconnect' mode. At this point, connect it to the computer.

It should be connected to the PC(cable) before hitting RESET.

EDIT: 22/10/2010

Guess what? It didn't end there.

After connecting it to my PC and starting iTunes, I tried the restore option couple of times. It would restore the ipod, the ipod would showup in iTunes again, after having restarted, only to show a "iTunes has detected an ipod running in recovery mode..." message.

So I went through the process of restoring it again and again...the original version at that!

Finally after a few attempts, I was greeted by a "iPod appears to be corrupted, please restore using iTunes..." message!

[ A few sites suggest a simple solution to counter the problem of the ipod not being detected. it simply involves renaming the drive letter to something else, under 'Disk Management'. Unfortunately, in my case the ipod was declared unreadable. ]

So I now had an iPod that was unreadable in 'My Computer', required a restore everytime I started iTunes and at times showed a "ipod is corrupted" message! :no:

Went back to the Internet and made Google squeal ! :p And squeal it did....

There was a solution to counter the "unreadable" problem, so I had to give it a try...

Here's the official link :iTunes displays -50 error message when syncing iPod on Windows XP :eek:hyeah:

Followed each step carefully and waited for the moment of truth (that's connecting the ipod to the PC, with itunes open)...

BADA BAM BADA BOOM! I was :O at the lovely 1.5" screen, flaunting the oh-so-popular ipod interface ! precious was back !

That left me quite ecstatic for a while...

Just an FYI: The nano was lying on my table for well over a month, with no hope whatsoever, of being resurrected. The iPod 1G nano was the first of its kind when released and my very first mp3 player. To let it die a sudden death, would be a loss indeed.

P.S: It helps if you try this on another PC, one that isn't being used to sync other iPods.

Hope this helps others! :cool2:

Peace!

Another general thought ..
Copy all the content of the iPod to a folder (without the songs) ..

Generally if the iTunesDB file gets corrupt iTunes will stop recognizing your iPod and it can be pretty frustrating to hard reset it as this file can't get generated unless you do it through iTunes.. so, either back this up, .. or copy the iTunesDB file from another iPod ..

All this though unrelated to your query might help somebody .. I spent 2 days online trying to figure out how to solve it and no site had good info on this..

Ipod nano 1G was the best one till date.I gave it of to a friend of mine before leaving India.I have bookmarked this page so it might help me as well in future,thanks for the entire guide T.T.M,repped u :)

Back