Monitors ips monitor or not ?

filmguy

Disciple
while researching my new pc purchase i saw a lot of people recommending the ips panel lcd monitors. from what i've read they offer better color, blacks, contrast etc (but read somewhere that is only after professional calibration, so not sure how true that is).

question is, will all that help a user like me that is only gonna use the computer for net surfing, office work, trading etc and not for gaming/movies etc and definitely not for photo editing etc which seems to be the most benefited by these monitors?

a dell 23" ips is abt 14.5k in mumbai. should i go for that or would a 11.5k or so 24" benq be a better deal with a 1" larger screen and 3k or so cheaper? if the advantages of the ips screen are apparent (even without any calibration) and would be beneficial for me with my uses then i dont mind spending that difference but if i'm not going to gain much then maybe the benq or similar model would be a better bet?

any other 23/24" model recommendations guys?

tia. :)

I'd recommend you check out these screens in person and buy what you like.

I had an Acer 22inch FHD LED screen and moved onto a Dell U2311H. One of the better decision i've recently made.

I think you would be better off buying the benq monitor or any other TN monitor, because for your usage U2311H is over a bit, but as SunnyBoi said go and personally check and make decision.

I dont think every ips monitor needs calibration to get good color quality, many of them are factory calibrated(eg Asus PA23Q) and some are not (eg LG ones), but the calibration on most of them is enough for daily usage

according to your usage i do recommend you to get the cheapest full hd monitor with ample warranty and a good service.something like the benq g2220 hd.

SunnyBoi said:
I'd recommend you check out these screens in person and buy what you like.

I had an Acer 22inch FHD LED screen and moved onto a Dell U2311H. One of the better decision i've recently made.

hi SunnyBoi, what would you say are your primary uses? what makes you feel that you made a good decision, was the difference apparent even in regular everyday(non gaming/video) applications?

any idea where in mumbai can i do a side by side comparison of these monitors? i dont think the dell is available everywhere and without a true side by side one cant say. and even then sometimes the settings are different for different setups so i feel best to rely on the TE community who've more experience in these matters and have tried the products in real world setups.

if not the u2311h i was considering 24" monitors like BENQ G2420 HD (11.3k) or Dell ST2410 (12.3k) or LG E2360V 23 inch (9.8k) or any other 23/24" u guys recommend.

Trust me there is a massive difference between IPS and TN panels. After you get used to the awesome viewing angles of an IPS panel you will never be able to use a TN panel again. With a TN panel if you even lean back in your chair while watching a movie all the colours will get ruined. Aside from that the sheer difference in contrast between colours is amazing. Only a TN panel costing 20k+ will be able to match an IPS panel like the U2211H or U2311H.

Calibration is only necessary if you want to print, or have 2 or more monitors and you need them to look the same. The factory calibrated profiles are not very accurate but are MORE than enough for everyday use. They're definitely way more accurate than monitors which don't have any presets at all.

@torch i forgot to add in my OP that i wont be doing any viewing off-centre as such since it'll only be used one person at a time the screen will be dead straight from where i'll be sitting. are the differences in colors/contrast apparent even if the viewing is done only dead on and even with simple day to day surfing?

filmguy said:
@torch i forgot to add in my OP that i wont be doing any viewing off-centre as such since it'll only be used one person at a time the screen will be dead straight from where i'll be sitting. are the differences in colors/contrast apparent even if the viewing is done only dead on and even with simple day to day surfing?

For your type of work and viewing profile [as you've described] getting a BenQ E 2220HD [LED backlit, full-HD, DVI + HDMI out] ~ 8500/-, will also work out just fine, butif you want to experience the awesomeness of a IPS panel, no jump of like the Dell Ultrasharp line-up.

DISCLAIMER: If you cannot re-adjust to mortal TN based displays, TE its members and affiliates are not responsible for any problems arising after migration to an IPS panel.

A quickie on the same topic -- LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN.

Cheers, Sire and hope this helped.

Not everybody will benefit jumping to an IPS.. Only professional photographers or professional editors can use it best.. for others it is just useless... it has various problems while playing games.. especially input lag... secondly contrast... backlight bleed to name a few... IPS has not reached TN level for games... Gaming wise TN is best!!!

I don't know about gaming but we have many IPS LCD monitors at our company The model no. the Dell 2000FP(it is of normal 4:3 aspect ratio not the crappy 16:9 widescreen ratio you get these days that is so bad for programmers). I can safely say that an IPS monitor is the only LCD I would consider worthy of replacing my trusty ol' CRT(...yes I still use CRT at home).

Over the years, I've worked with LCDs of multiple laptops i.e. Dell, Lenovo for my work and HP, Acer for home usage. I've even seen TN desktop LCD monitors used in gaming. I can confirm that the LCDs used in laptops are of very poor quality w.r.t. viewing angle, lag etc.....probably because they're thinner and less technologically competent than desktop LCD monitors. The TN desktop LCD monitors I've seen are much better but don't match the Dell IPS LCD monitors we have at work.

^ +1 to CRT. they ruled in PQ. beat all these lcd's plasma's et al hollow. just wish they came thinner and larger screen sizes ;)

@ALPHA17 thanks for that link. had read it already, just wanted feedback from regular joes who have used the different monitors. the BenQ E 2220HD is a bit smaller than what i am looking for - atleast a 23" (prefer 24"), any recommendations in that size sire ;)

i wish there were some stores where i could do a proper comparison. but as it stands it seems that for my uses ips is not needed but if i spend the extra to get it i might not regret it. hmmm.. are there any good 23"/24" VA monitors out there in the 10-11k range, they seem like the best compromise.

Imo, if you want a good PQ then get the IPS. I recently reviewed the Asus PA246Q and then went back to my old Dell 22" TN panel and seriously it is just pathetic to use this now. Will make the jump to IPS soon.

sydras said:
I don't know about gaming but we have many IPS LCD monitors at our company The model no. the Dell 2000FP(it is of normal 4:3 aspect ratio not the crappy 16:9 widescreen ratio you get these days that is so bad for programmers). I can safely say that an IPS monitor is the only LCD I would consider worthy of replacing my trusty ol' CRT(...yes I still use CRT at home).

Over the years, I've worked with LCDs of multiple laptops i.e. Dell, Lenovo for my work and HP, Acer for home usage. I've even seen TN desktop LCD monitors used in gaming. I can confirm that the LCDs used in laptops are of very poor quality w.r.t. viewing angle, lag etc.....probably because they're thinner and less technologically competent than desktop LCD monitors. The TN desktop LCD monitors I've seen are much better but don't match the Dell IPS LCD monitors we have at work.

Laptops use w-led as backlight. theycare the worst backlight possible. crt had almost instantaneous response times. the everyday TN panels use ccfl backlights. no comparision can thus occur between laptop lcd's and normal TN panels.

^^dude saiyan IPS are great but many good TN panels also exist. For games especially those with very rapid action sequences TN is better than IPS. also the asus is a P-IPS unlike the dell which is an e-ips

^oh, wow w-led backlights are not good? what are its shortcomings?

i was considering buying the dell inspiron 2320 AIO desktop http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-one-2320/pd which promotes its w-led screen as one of the selling points

from dell website --

One stellar screen

Enjoy the vivid colors and sharp images of optional discrete graphics on an impressive 58.4cm (23") HD LCD WLED backlighting

if w-led's are bad then its a -1 against my considering its purchase.

dude will put up the article about that very soon.. hopefully in the evening.. :) read it and u'll understand

in the mean time wrote an article about IPS. u can read that.

filmguy said:

Colours are not equal even when viewing from the centre. Viewing angle - Lagom LCD test

On an IPS it will be completely uniform.

will wait for that mrcool :)

thanx for that link torch. if i did the tests correctly my thinkpad didnt do too bad as i thought it might.

my previous monitor was a 3 yr or so old viewsonic 19" lcd which was ok, nothing to write home about. i have a samsung galaxy tab (the older 7" one) and afaik its not ips but the colors/contrast/viewing angles/brightness are brilliant. if the newer TN panels perform similiarly then that might just be enough for me. (though i'm very tempted after hearing so many good things abt the u2311h almost unanimously raved about)

Back