Is A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara being turned into a TV series?

So, last month I started reading A Little Life by American writer Hanya Yanagihara. I had seen a lot of vlogs and read reviews so I kind of knew what I was getting into but I didn't imagine it to be this brutal. It released in 2015 and I read online that the rights for TV has been bought by some producers in 2016. There has been a stage adaptation of the book by an Amsterdam theatre group in collaboration with Yanagihara. I think it's still running, or was before the pandemic. Anyway, I just really would like to know if there is going to be a screen adaptation for the book. I still don't know how I feel about it to be honest. I couldn't read it in continuity and just left it. Then I told everyone not to read it too. But I picked it up again two weeks ago and went ahead to complete the book. I left it around 400 pages in and had decided that I wouldn’t finish, but apparently I have no sense of self preservation.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara was the hardest book that I have ever read. It made me weep, and howl, and pull out my hair in frustration. It’s also a highly unrealistic, almost fantastical book in its concept of extremes- extreme highs and equally extreme lows. The extreme successes of Jude, JB, Willem and Malcolm in their respective careers, juxtaposed with the horrifying trauma of Jude’s past that dominates his entire life. I also picked up a royally convenient time to read this fiend of a novel so joke’s on me really. But even when this hurt so much, I can’t seem to outright hate the book. Definitely hated a lot of it but after this was finished, relief was the most prominent emotion I felt. And agony, sustained for two entire weeks and counting.

Please if anyone knows about the TV adaptation let me know. DON'T READ THIS BOOK!

Back