PC Peripherals Is DVD as a playback or storage medium a long term solution.....????

deejay

Skilled
with the current DVD chipset prices and super integraton of all the the DVD functions in a single chip is DVD a long term solution ?????
i would like some more in-depth views from the members.
I personally believe DVD technology will "struggle" through for another two years only and then a new medium / technology will take over.
already dvd players, which plays nearly any/every disk (formats like audio cd/ mp3/ SVCD / SACD/ DIVX etc...) that you can throw at it. are avialable for around 3K. with built in dolby digital decoding too.

and all this is integrated in a single 208 pin ic. !!!!!
Same for PC dvd writers, all the funtions are integrated in a single chip.
my main point is this:

will it be feasible for top brands from japan , taiwan, korea to continue selling it this cheap and still make a decent profit (if any at all) ?????, i mean will they not introduce new tech from which they can make a decent profit.
sure, due to the huge latent demand from the pc sector the dvd-writers et al will flourish for a while but some new tech will soon emerge i can sense and feel it.
ultimately SILICON will Replace all METAL / OPTICALS , the question is when......
so folks , share your views about this here and please do not give "Indian conditions" etc... as reasons since pure technology does not recognise any borders and is not limited to any local area.

Well i think the main drawback for the slow penetration of DVD was the different formats.
DVD+R,DVD-R,DVD+RW,DVD-RW.....
This was not the case with CD.Even though there were different formats,it was pretty easy.

I think any emerging optical technology will always take time if there are hundreds of standards,formats blah blah.....

It should be simple,which facilitates easier penetration and popularity of the technology.

Another big Issue related to especially DVD Burners is the compatibility problems with writers & media.

Generally the reputed media brands like TY,RicohJPN dont give much of a problem.But media on these media are expensive.The problem arises when we burn cheaper media.Aparticular writer might give excellent scans but the same media can give horrific scans on some other writers.

This according to me is a bigger concern.If a new technology is being developed,these issues should be addressed first.

And for any technology to gain wide acceptance simplicity and ease of use is important.

This was not the case with DVD Writers like it was with CD Writers.

BluRay is coming up,hope so this will come in the market with all issue solved.

I also think that solid state memory should become a good option for data backup/data storage.... compared to optical media.

Currently,it is very expensive.

These are my views on the current and future scenario of optical technologies and data storage/backup solutions.

yes i forgot about that.Thanks for chipping in Bottle.

Something offtopic,
I realy Admire Bottle.His choice of upgrades is excellent and is adept with hardware knowledge.Congrats man,keep it up.

Back