Is it bye bye Chinese phones?

gforce

Adept
Nov 30 is here and I am wondering if any TE'ers have chinese phones that can still make phone calls. If they can, VF, AT and the government are a bunch of lying bastards. :p

SOURCE

ubergeek said:
well you can get an imei for your chinese phone by buying it for 190rs from government regiestered c enter
True, but the number of people who actually paid up for an IMEI is like a drop in the bucket.

I want to know if there are any phones without an IMEI that are still logged on to the network and are able to make calls. Most reporters have been harping on about how Nov 30 is doomsday.

One of my friend using a china phone received a call from airtel that his imei no. is fake and will not work after 30th.They told him to buy a new imei number from some centre.

A lot of chinese phones sold in the last few months do have an IMEI number. The problem was that chinese phones from a manufacturer all had the same IMEI number and so on. New ones usually have different/ random IMEI set in them, so this should not be a big issue now.

For a multiple sim phone, you are supposed to have a IMEI for each GSM line in the phone. If your phone has a single IMEI for multiple sims, then it may be blocked as same IMEI is not supposed to be active on multiple networks at the same time

My friend got a sciphone, but his phone is still working fine and no call from the operator about imei. Will check with him tomorrow.

thetoxicmind said:
damn, some Chinese phones have dual IMEI ! :p

Yea, mine does. :bleh:

No call no sms from both of my providers. So I guess mine is fine. The seller claimed it to have legal imei number, that's the reason I bought my iphone clone. :p

Has anyone with a branded phone recieved the message?
Not sure how this works. The security loophole was only that many phones had the same IMEI. How do networks check if the same IMEI is logged on different networks? If multiple IMEIs pop up in a network's log, are all of them deemed unsafe? What happens when you purchase an IMEI number? Pretty sure there is no easy mechanism to change anything on these china made phones - as they all seem to have a different firmware or OS or whatever it is that they use, so this must be something at the network end right... if so, why is the identification a trouble... there must be some other basis for identifying individual handsets right?

thetoxicmind said:
My friend's LG phone (Dynamite series) got blocked. :p

What ??? Really ??
That should not be the case i suppose :S

amitn18 said:
My friend got a sciphone, but his phone is still working fine and no call from the operator about imei. Will check with him tomorrow.

AFAIK sciphones have real IMEI numbers. But you never know.

Sciphones imei number is easy to change. One of my friend recently purchased a chinese phone and imei was blocked on 1 December. He just contacted the seller who gave him two imei numbers and my friend changed it himself using the sciphone imei change tool available on the sciphone site.

wow thats means i can have any imei no i want :p

Suppose i have a old phone like nokia Which has original imei no, i just have to note down the imei and can use it for chinese phones.:ashamed:

The chinese one Wont get affected as the old nokia phone wont be used (lying in a corner of cuboard) and the new chinese one gets a org imei number. :bleh:

My laundrywala owns one of these chinese phones.... It looks pathetic....
He says it has 7.1 channel sound( read it as 7 small speakers on the rear)

His phone is still working even when it doesnt have a IMEI no :( He didnt even get a call from his provider....

Back