Audio Is It Possible To Use An Apple Type C to 3.5mm Adapter With My Windows Laptop For Earphone Mic?

zero_cool

Disciple
Hi everyone, as the question states, I have a Windows 10 laptop and a functional 3.5mm headphone jack as well. The issue is, I can never make this onboard 3.5mm jack to pick the inline microphone of my Realme Buds or OnePlus Bullets V2. In every video call, Windows picks up sound from the microphone next to the webcam. I wanted to solve this somehow and I came across Inicio USB External Sound Card Adapter which claims to solve this issue but only 60% of the reviewers rated it 5-stars, I was a looking for more reliable solution. Thus, I am wondering if using the Apple Type C to 3.5mm Adapter can solve this problem. Any experience in this will be appreciated.

Yup, can confirm. Mic works with wired apple earpods and some old nokia earbuds.
Detected in windows as 'usb c to 3.5mm'. Might need to fiddle with mic source settings.

So, I purchased the Apple Adapter today after demanding a laptop with a Type-C port from work. Initially, when I tried the adapter in my Poco X3 Pro, it did not work so I lost my excitement but when I used it with my Windows laptop, it was detected just as stated above and a quick test in the Voice Recorder app confirmed the microphone of my earphones was in use. Thank you @D C and @SunnyBoi. Appreciate your inputs. This is a good alternative to purchasing a dedicated headset as this is cheaper and does not add an extra headset to the desk. The audio quality is good and we can use the inline remote of the earphones. However, being an Apple product, the Volume-Up button of my OnePlus Bullets V2 only reduces the volume, a limitation which I've experienced on my iPhone SE 2016 as well when non-Apple earphones are used. I guess, we will never have a universally compatible product from Apple but this serves its primary purpose well so I am content with it but I hope there is something from the Android phone manufactures that is widely available in India. The Samsung Adapter might be the better of the two as it will work with an Android phone. it is cheaper by ₹200 and it might work well with the inline remote of a headset on a Windows laptop . The fact this adapter did not work on my Android phone is a bit of sore point as I feel I can only use it for video calls and nothing else even in the future. Here is a screenshot of how it is displayed in my system.

1634030761153.png

Last edited:
This little dongle is actually an excellent solution with those having issues with single 3.5mm laptop port being used for mic and headphones both but never know which headphone+mic combo will work or not.
And for those having split ports but have headphone+mic combo.
No more need to buy Y splitters or Y joiners.

Plus it’s a surprisingly good basic dac/amp, supporting 24bit/48khz.

I think any dongle that is compatible with your laptop and your earphones is bound to work, just because its from apple doesn't mean it would just work on apple devices.

Back