Is it worth 5k to forego warranty?

rdst_1

Skilled
I am looking to import a Dell Streak or Samsung Infuse from the USofA. Both will cost around 18k.
Locally the Dell Streak is available for 23k.

Till now none of the phones that i bought have ever needed any repair, but you never know.
I remember a thread in which when 1 guy broke his Streak's screen was able to deposit a sum of 3k with Dell in lieu of local warranty.If that is still applicable i will be able to save 2k(for skins:clap:).

Anyone with experience of such a case or of sending the phone back to US for repair or exchange could please enlighten me on the kind of charges i might be looking at if such a need arises.

Thanks

i guess 5k is a lot.. if u are buying a phone. see from the phone point of view. with a difference of 5k a new level starts.. so i wud say go for the phone without warranty.. as every time i got my phone's done.. those ppl wud say... water problem.. not in warranty... i wud give 1200 for screen.. and stuff... what do they think my phone will get bad on its own.. warranty void for water problem.. and damage caused by us...

i'm talking abt nokia... dnt knw abt the others...!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

even if something happens u got 5k to get it done... if u knw wat i mean...!

Guys, i am getting a brand new Dell Streak with local warranty for 22k.

The only gripe that i have is that is it worth that much when other phones with better hardware are available for less, like Galaxy S for 19.8k.

The only reason i want to buy the streak is cause of the real estate it offers.

Unfortunately remember that Dell streak is seriously outdated. Another important news is that Dell Streak has reached its EOL. You are only spending that much money for a screen, while you can get a phone that is twice as powerful more or less at the same price?

How important is screen size to you? Can you compromise with 4 inches or maybe 4.3 inches? The reason why I ask is, Lets say you buy the bigger screen Dell Streak for gaming or using it for other intensive apps only to find out that processor is slow or not capable of running it. You will have screen estate but what is the use if the hardware is not good enough to utilize it.

For general internet browsing, watching movies, youtube or even editing/creating documents it will be more than sufficient. But lets say you want to play some games, then the GPU is seriously outdated. Even at the time of release Adrenos 200 was behind other GPUs. So make a list of requirements and see what is most important to you. Because when you pay 22k, you have to be sure to get something that will last you for a while. Not to buy it and later down the road realize that its hardware is inferior.

You will not go wrong with other models less than Streak like Nexus S, Galaxy S (as you pointed out), Desire S etc. These phones give the real value for your buck. Also I do not trust Dell in making phones. Always these manufacturers are reliable - Samsung, Sony, HTC and Motorola. Even LG I am 50/50.

It is your choice at the end. So I am only giving you my honest opinion.

Thanks for your opinions.

I understand fully the reasoning behind your judgment. It's just that i have used phones with 4" screens and i really find them a bit cramped for use( i have chubby fingers).I guess that's the reason i was looking forward to buy the Samsung Infuse as it is so much better than Dell Streak hardware wise and also has a 4.5" Superamoled Plus screen, but the warranty part is bugging me a lot.

Also Dell Streak looks really good when compared to Samsung phones as they are really plasticky. Using Dj Steve's custom rom i will be overclocking the CPU.That just leaves the GPU as the weak link.Is the GPU of Streak that bad.

Yes Adrenos 200 is bad compared to other single core GPU's in the market. So even if you overclock the CPU, that might not immensely help in gaming part. Since your requirement is bigger screen you will be fine with Dell streak. But it will definitely be inferior in gaming. You know what, you can always buy a PSP or NG PSP to satisfy your gaming thirst ;) So go for it. I would advise against US phones without warranty. Go with whatever gives you peace of mind :)

Thanks a lot man.The system isn't allowing me to rep you again.Maybe later.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Finally took the plunge and ordered Dell Streak 5 for Rs. 22222 from adexmart(cheapest online) with COD.

With my regular usage i can live with an older gen chipset so decided to go for the bigger screen.

Back