PC Peripherals Is it worth getting a Belkin surge protector vs a local one?

Santa Maria!

Disciple
I'm planning to get a 4-socket Belkin surge protector. Flipkart seems the cheapest at Rs. 600.
Is it worth getting a Belkin? How would it compare against some cheaper local alternatives?
Btw, is 600 fair for a 4-socket surge protector? Have you guys found it cheaper anywhere in your experience?

Anchor, huh. Seems at a similar price point.
Also, by some strange luck, it seems that FK has a 'deal of the day' going on today, specifically for Belkin surge protectors. And it seems that's why it's priced at Rs. 600, at 40% off. What luck :)

I just went ahead and bought it.
But feel free to share your thoughts on the question in the OP!

I have a power strip, not sure if it has any sort of surge protection or not. It is of MX brand and has 5 sockets with individual switches and cost me around 400 Rs, i bought from a shop on Lamington Road. Works pretty well and is being used currently to connect my TV,DTH,Wifi router and at times to charge laptop/phone.

Individual switches will be useful if you constantly keep plugging in/out stuff. But if you plan to keep it mostly un-disturbed, its not a big deal. And my personal opinion is to go for a quality surge protector as it is going to protect stuff which costs some big money and the price difference is pretty negligible.

Eidt: and the discount you got makes it a good deal!

Also keep in mind the type of wiring that you will be using. If its a new place with ECB and all in place. Almost any surge protector will do.

Else put some more money in and good ones. no harm is spending 200 more for good ones

Flipkart is looting people right with their 40% off belkin surge protector deal.. I bought the 6 port one from Snapdeal using 100 off for 499.

Flipkart has inflated prices and then provided discount..

@OP get back your money.

Looks like the prices have gone up. I have that very same 8 port Belkin surge protector sourced off eBay India for some 650 Rs. odd last year after using a discount coupon. From my eBay account's purchase history:

1.png

I have a 4 port MX branded surge connector for my desktop PC as well and had paid some 300 Rs. for that few years back. Works well. Good quality plastic and thick power cable. The fuse hasn't blown so far. All the sockets work well without any loose connection issues.

If you are on a budget, get the MX branded ones. If you have some extra moolah, get the Belkin makes.

EDIT: Never ever get the local (MX ≠ local) ones! Not only do they have crappy internals, sockets which may become loose and thin wires which may not take extra loads (and burn as a result), the fuse may not blow in the event of an over voltage!

My roomie blew up his router and modem's adapter during such an event and had to get a replacement. Luckily, the router and modem, both were saved. The PC was also saved!

Last edited:
Why do you hate FK so much ? :p
Because they have FKed up last 7-10 orders of mine.

Had to purchase them from there because apparently they deliver quick and if not quick, atleast within the stated time.

3 of the those orders were cancelled after 10 days of waiting.

Fake fedex details were sent for another item and then after 10 days, order was cancelled saying fedex cannot deliver in the area (the order consisted of 2 items, one of which was already delivered by FedEx from delhi).

And as usual the remaining orders were delivered but after 7-10 days.

All items were purchased from WSRETAIL.

I purchased them at FK prices just for the quick delivery and they dissapointed every time.

I dont know whether they will honor or not.

I got the 6 port one, and they gave me a card. Not really sure post that.

Back