Is it worth it?

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
I can get a brand new boxed audio Technica M40X for less than 50 EUR.
Already have the 50X and don't like the lower end in it.
Shall I go for the 40X, heard that it has controlled low end and not harsh like 50X with relative poor recordings.
It will be used for tracking drums mostly ( as one of dogs chewed up the HD25 and one of the earcups developed a depressed crack and the wire snapped. I can replace the wire, but couldn't find the cups for replacement at a decent price, will repair it eventually, but it will take time)
Have tried 50X for tracking drums, but mixing the kick drum mic output has become very tedious.
Presently I have replaced the hd600 with 598 for mixing and so far it's working better ( the mixes are definitely sounding better even with car stereos)
Anybody here using it?
Post automatically merged:

Bought it, too good a deal to pass on. Absolutely new, even the seal was intact.
Very early impressions: much more portable than the 50X ( contrary to the real size difference) but possibly somewhat less premium build quality ( but reasonably well built)
I've moved on from the typical M50X sound ( typical consumer grade bass heavy, no details sound) and thankfully on the first listen, it has somewhat different sound signature.
M50X is great for casual listeners, thankfully this is tuned somewhat differently( more towards MSR type tuning)
Too many headphones, will get rid off the consumer grade ones soon ( QC35 will be the first to go to a needy student, though sonically it's garbage, some will be very happy with them)

Last edited:
Back