Monitors Is my monitor gone?

channabasanna

Disciple
Hi All,

Today my Viewsonic VA1912wb 19" monitor suddenly stopped working. Donno what has happened to it no display is coming from it.
I tested it by changing the DVI cable and starting the system, no display and i am sure about it since the windows loaded completely as i had kept the sound to hear the windows loading sound.
Also i connected the monitor VGA to my Laptop, still no display from it.

Is the monitor gone out and dead :(
Can this be repaired, it is almost approximately more than 3 years old. If it can be repaired will Viewsonic do that?
Where in Bangalore can i get it done or repaired.

I think there is no power supply problem, as the power does not be cut here much in our area and also i have Home UPS (Sukam 1400) as well as the WIPRO 600VA UPS only for my system. Also i use BELKIN Power Surge (Gold series i think, the 8 pin one which costs 1800 INR)

Let me know what can be done for this issue. For my system details, you can find it in my Signature.

Thanks in Advance :)

You mean to say the DVI or the VGA cables. Till yesterday i was using the old DVI cable, after this happened to check whether Cable is problem i used a new DVI cable as well as the new VGA cable, when both were being used nothing was happening. So i dont think it is an issue with Data cable.

channabasanna said:
No i have not, but i am able to see the monior power light turn green when switched on and later turns orange when no display.
Orange light is power save or system switched off mode, isn't it? Also no harm to check with New Power Cable & plug it directly to main removing connection form UPS .. just try it :)

@Emperor: Yeah orange light does come when the system is off. I will do check by using a different power cable. Will do that today evening and update.

@Ronit: My mobo does not have a onboard VGA.

Turn it on and remove the DVI or VGA cable from the back.... See if the No Input message is displayed....

If it is then your system is not booting to give video signal

Yesterday evening i tried by using a different Power Cable, nothing happened. Same problem, even when the DVI or VGA is not connected and the Monitor is powered on. No Input Message is being displayed.

Check your video card by trying the monitor on another computer / laptop......... it looks like the VGA card on your computer is giving problems......... hence the amber light on your monitor that means no signal.

@funtoon, i did connect the monitor with new DVI cable to my Graphics Card and also i tested it by connecting it to my Laptop. There was no display or any message in the Monitor in both the scenarios.

So i am sure it is not the Graphics Card problem.

Thanks Ameet for that link, well this monitor was brought almost 3-4 years ago and has been used very much, not just 2 hrs a day but infact more than 4hrs most days :)

Any suggestion on whether this can be repaired.

there might be internal circuitry issue with your monitor, may be the internal circuit related with the input signal might be the culprit

channabasanna said:
No i have not, but i am able to see the monior power light turn green when switched on and later turns orange when no display.
Hmmm..Seems intriguing.Just watch the monitor power light again and report back the pattern of light blinking or change of color,while connected to the PC and also while not connected to the PC.

@Ameet, the color of the light changes from Green (when switched ON) to Orange. It is happening in both scenarios when the Monitor is connected to the PC and also when not connected to the PC.

It's probably a back-light failure, may be the inverter, or less likely one of the CCFL lamps. These frequent inverter failures are due to bad capacitors and fractured solder joints.

Looks like it's time to take it for either RMA(which might cost time) or technician(which might cost money) :p

@Ameet, the monitor is already almost 4 years old, so i think the RMA option will not work. If any major work of repair is to be done, then i will opt to buy a new monitor.

Just take it to the technician and know the cost of repair,before you set yourself to buy a new one.Another way is to successfully get it repaired and sell it and go for a new one with some extra money and TE advice.May be if it's just bad capacitors,you can change it within few bucks.But ask the technician to put a good Japanese capacitor in place of the old one.

Viewsonic target VFM customers,as a result people won't think what makes it so cheap.Unfortunately there isn't a review site ripping the monitors like the PSUs for quality parts checkup.So, may be it's better to go by good brand names.

Back