Budget 71-90K Is Surface Pro 9 / Laptop 5 launching in India?

are the new surface pro 9 and surface laptop 5 launching in India?
Not worth at that price. I would wait and get the Zenbook 13 or Zenbook 14 OLED variants once they are powered by 13th gen chips. Reason being ASUS having lot better specs, better support structure and that gorgeous OLED display makes lot of difference (unless your work majority of time outdoors).

Possibly. The Surface Pro 9 page for India says 'Coming Soon'. Same for the Laptop 5.

1666346774180.png

Not worth at that price.
Creative types consider the Surface Pro for the Pen + touchscreen display.

Creative types consider the Surface Pro for the Pen + touchscreen display.

Windows is still pretty average when it comes to using a Pen. I have a thinkpad Yoga with built in pen. Windows is still heavily 'double click'. UI is still bad to navigate using touch screen or pen. I am lot lot more comfortable with iPad when it comes to drawing/painting. I started doing Mandala painting for stress release.

Moreover, the CPU in Surface pro has only two P cores. Compare that to 6P+8E cores that one gets in Zenbook OLED with i7. Even for creators, I would rather suggest something like Zenbook ProArt StudioBook is better option.

In short, I would rather buy Zenbook 13 + iPad Air + Apple Pencil to satisty the creative type in me.

thanks
nothing like a surface pro exists on a windows pc
new surface pen 2 is a lot better than the apple pencil
ipad is limited by ipados

thank
nothing like a surface pro exists on a windows pc
new surface pen 2 is a lot better than the apple pencil
ipad is limited by ipados

Let me ask you this. Have you extensively used a touchscreen windows laptop/tablet? Have you actually used Surface Pen 2 and the Apple Pencil? If so, can you please some photos? What I said earlier is from my 4+ years of Windows touch screen ultrabook use. I also have the iPad Air and the Apple Pencil 2. Please do not say vague things like what you said in your post after looking at some YT and Insta posts. You wont know the pain of Windows touchscreen UX until you use one. I have the Lenovo Yoga touch screen laptop, a MBP, an iPad Air. I suggested going with a proper tablet with tablet specific OS and a powerful Ultrabook for a reason. You get the best of both worlds.

Windows is still not made for a touchscreen and this is the biggest limitation of Surface Pro series. There is a reason why Samsung went with Android even for their flagship tablets though they have extremely good partnership with Microsoft.

Even the gen 8 surface pro costs 1L+ for puny 256GB storage/8GB RAM variant. I am a big fan of Microsoft and love watching Panos Panay demo Surface devices. Unfortunately, they are just show-off pieces, given the current price and state of Windows UX for touch screens. If you need and only need a Surface Pro, splurge for one that has a Core i7 chip, 16GB of RAM and 512Gig storage. Anthing lower (chip and memory especially) is just waste of sand.

Attachments

• EC913F17-0A50-4A8F-9907-049BC3612126.jpeg
    EC913F17-0A50-4A8F-9907-049BC3612126.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Haha
I have a surface pro 4 and ipad air with apple pencil 2
long time surface user
don't get so worked up about an opinion

watching a lecture and taking notes at the same time is next to impossible on the ipad, keyboard and mouse suport is poor, web browsing is underwhelming, apple pencil is slippery and underwhelming for me, would like a physical button on the pen
the surface pen 2 haptic feedback is nice, really liked it, latency is good, also like the shape of the pen 2, the kickstand is awesome, nothing like it on the ipad( have to get a logitech folio or combo touch for it)
surface is light and meets my needs quite well
don't need an extremely powerful machine, already have a desktop for that

Last edited:
Windows is still pretty average when it comes to using a Pen. I have a thinkpad Yoga with built in pen. Windows is still heavily 'double click'. UI is still bad to navigate using touch screen or pen. I am lot lot more comfortable with iPad when it comes to drawing/painting. I started doing Mandala painting for stress release.
Have you tried linux? With the touch support of linux you'll be happy with Windows experience any day.

I used Dell Venue 10 Pro (with atom) just to have a taste of the portable lifestyle, and I agree with @stevie.g , the iPad Mini I have is good for entertainment but can't give a presentation with it (No presenter view in PowerPoint). However surface pro / clone devices come at a price. Windows 10 was too intensive, and believe it or not so was EndavourOS with i3 tiling window manager!! It throttled with just firefox + 2 tabs and htop in terminal!! Sold it for that reason, but wish I never bought it because now I'm in love with the form factor.

I used it in my office (because of the AC lol) and when it's cool, it worked well. Used it to attend Teams meeting + jotting down notes. OneNote has good handwriting recognition, but most of the times I discard my notes - just the act of writing seems to help with my memory, so no purpose keeping all the scratch notes around.

Looks like it launched :
damn, costs as much as a macbook. People(non-gamers) generally find only macbook worth it at this price

Back