Monitors Is the Monitor dead?

ashish

Adept
My cousin got a Dell monitor which I helped him during assembling his pc in the year 2011 or so.

He sold off his pc components due to space issues in his new house & opted for a laptop.

He games fps and uses the monitor as primary display. I used to join him whenever I visit his place & I must say the monitor is still under perfect mint condition.

While gaming last night the monitor went blank in the middle with some "tack" sound and ever since there is no led light on the monitor no sound or even burning smell.

He takes very good care of all peripherals and happening something like this suddenly without any warning is quite confusing.

There were no issues with the monitor for all these years down like no spot fading, no white spots, color issues, touch button issues etc. I can vouch on that.

I cannot imagine monitor dying such a sudden death without any visible or operative signs.

The power cable is good as he tested at his friends place and so the vga cable too. He tried with brand new power and vga cables but no signs of life. His laptops vga port can output on his friend monitor so laptop issues also ruled out.

Now he is planning to take it to the nearest Dell service center.

Just want to know what could be the reason for the sound and dying as to which component inside could be at fault. And can dell fix it for cheap?

not sure Dell would fix it for a reasonable price even if a fuse was burnt out inside !
I'd prefer to get some local technician to inspect the monitor ...

Does it use an external power supply or internal?
Led monitor/ tv going bad has lots of factors and we cant say properly till it is opened up.

First cause would be blown caps or fuse in power supply due to surge etc. A cracker like noise = some short circuit leading to something going off or a blown cap.
Another probable cause could be some chip burst some where. Or it could be anything that got shorted due to a spider or ants coming in contact with something.

Dont visit service center as they won't entertain you as the product is almost decade old. They only touch or service stuff which in within 5 yr period.

I recently got a dell monitor with a power supply issue revived. It cost me Rs.1600 to fix. The technician said he'd replaced the power supply, but theres no way to verify that. It was a 21inch LCD monitor, and now that I think about it, it would have made more sense have bought a new one.
I had it repaired by a local shop in pune. Unless your cousin has a high end monitor, ask him to replace it with a newer led one which'll have a warranty and lower power draw.

The technician told me the problem with my LCD was the power supply, and that in most cases that is the only issue.

Dont visit service center as they won't entertain you as the product is almost decade old. They only touch or service stuff which in within 5 yr period.

You are right the dell people refused to touch the monitor stating very old monitor etc. The sent him back.
I recently got a dell monitor with a power supply issue revived. It cost me Rs.1600 to fix. The technician said he'd replaced the power supply, but theres no way to verify that. It was a 21inch LCD monitor, and now that I think about it, it would have made more sense have bought a new one.
I had it repaired by a local shop in pune. Unless your cousin has a high end monitor, ask him to replace it with a newer led one which'll have a warranty and lower power draw.

The technician told me the problem with my LCD was the power supply, and that in most cases that is the only issue.

I think it is still worthy getting it repaired for 1.5k as new monitors anyways cost above 8k mark.
I was told by my techno geek friend that in such cases the smsps transistor blows and it roughly cost about 600 bucks. So have advised my friend to look out for a good tv technician around.

He got it fixed at his local laptopwala who deals in repairing and dealing in all It stuff from where he usually purchase battery for his laptop. Was a good gamble.

Back