PC Peripherals Is this PSU enough?

If you have low quality PSU(like zebronics or even old versions of corsair VS series) it is better get a new decent 650w one. There is no point in cheaping out on PSU if have budget to invest in a card like RX 6650xt.
If you have really good quality one it will be fine.

If you have low quality PSU(like zebronics or even old versions of corsair VS series) it is better get a new decent 650w one. There is no point in cheaping out on PSU if have budget to invest in a card like RX 6650xt.
If you have really good quality one it will be fine.
Antec VP500 being used with a GTX 1050ti since last 5 years.

Newer cards are power hungry and the power spikes are higher than their TDP. Since you have the PSU, you can use it and run stress tests plus play modern hardware-resource intensive game for hours. In worst case, the computer will shut down if the PSU can't handle it. Then you can decide on changing the PSU.

R5 3500 is very efficient chip of 65W TDP. Let's assume 100W if you OC it a bit. Your 6650XT is 180W let's say you OC it a bit and it reaches 200W max. Now accounting for other components including mobo and HDD/SSD, CPU cooler etc. you'll peak at around 80W in an extreme case when everything possible is attached to mobo.

That's a total of less than 400W assuming you have a 100% peak load on CPU + GPU and all mobo features utilized (In reality barely anyone uses everything on the mobo). That's less than 80% of the PSU capacity. You're well in the safe zone. All these numbers are very loosely assume with too much headroom. I'm sure your peak usage won't ever exceed 350W in extreme cases as well.

In any case if you still wanna buy a new PSU don't go for less than 750/850W as PSU is the only component you can futureproof and carry over to new builds.

Will Ryzen 5 3500 and RX 6650 XT work with a 500W PSU? (AMD mentions min. 500W PSU for the RX 6650XT on their website.)

Thanks
It's better to go for higher capacity PSU than keeping tight limit. I follow technique of having PSU which will provide enough supply to all things at their peak performance and extra headroom for 25% spike. Example: if all of my cpu+GPU+ Mobo etc consumes 600watt at their peak performance/turbo/boost/overclock mode then I will consider 800-850watt of Gold rated PSU. Hope this is helpful. Advise Checked used PSU market Some people were selling year old 1000watt PSU at Rs.5000 in sep-oct, although I am not sure now

Will Ryzen 5 3500 and RX 6650 XT work with a 500W PSU? (AMD mentions min. 500W PSU for the RX 6650XT on their website.)

Thanks
500w is fine.
5 years you say,PSU is often referred to as the heart of the system,rightfully so,try to get a recent ,preferably a gold rated 500-550 watt psu with at least 5 years warranty just for peace of mind if you can,if you want to future proof further,best to get a 750w gold rated psu.

R5 3500 is very efficient chip of 65W TDP. Let's assume 100W if you OC it a bit. Your 6650XT is 180W let's say you OC it a bit and it reaches 200W max. Now accounting for other components including mobo and HDD/SSD, CPU cooler etc. you'll peak at around 80W in an extreme case when everything possible is attached to mobo.

That's a total of less than 400W assuming you have a 100% peak load on CPU + GPU and all mobo features utilized (In reality barely anyone uses everything on the mobo). That's less than 80% of the PSU capacity. You're well in the safe zone. All these numbers are very loosely assume with too much headroom. I'm sure your peak usage won't ever exceed 350W in extreme cases as well.

In any case if you still wanna buy a new PSU don't go for less than 750/850W as PSU is the only component you can futureproof and carry over to new builds.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Actually, I want to upgrade 2 things gradually - Monitor ( from 24 inch FHD to 27 or 32 inch QHD, don't want 4K) and GPU from 1050Ti to perhaps the 6650XT or 6700 XT at max. My gaming days are coming to an end so this will be my final PC upgrade before riding into the sunset. :D Now of course depending on the GPU and also the monitor size and resolution I will have to think about the PSU.
Also, thinking what should be my upgrade path considering I can't upgrade all 3 components at once due to lack of moolah. ( Suggestions are welcome).
So, just thinking of different permutations and combinations before I take the plunge. Maybe I should wait for next gen stuff to come but then again prices are just going up year after year so pretty sure whatever comes up next year will cost an arm and a leg.
P.S. I won't overclock.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Actually, I want to upgrade 2 things - Monitor ( from 24 inch FHD to 27 or 32 inch QHD, don't want 4K) and GPU from 1050Ti to perhaps the 6650XT or 6700 XT at max. My gaming days are coming to an end so this will be my final PC upgrade before riding into the sunset. :D Now of course depending on the GPU and also the monitor size and resolution I will have to think about the PSU.
Also, thinking what should be my upgrade path considering I can't upgrade all 3 components at once due to lack of moolah. ( Suggestions are welcome).
So, just thinking of different permutations and combinations before I take the plunge. Maybe I should for next gen stuff to come but then again prices are just going up year after year so pretty sure whatever comes up next year will cost an arm and a leg.
P.S. I won't overclock.
You could upgrade your GPU first. For a 1440p monitor, the 1050 Ti will scream for mercy. So a good 1440p GPU like the RX 6650 XT or 6700 will work.
Regarding your PSU, your PC at load won't consume more than 250-270w. A simple 2 fan card won't push power consumption over 150w.
The current PSU you have is not the best, and is really meant for entry level builds. Take some precautions, like setting a power limit on your GPU and undervolting it. If it's fine, then stick with it for a while until you upgrade.
A monitor suggestion- Acer XV272U

You could upgrade your GPU first. For a 1440p monitor, the 1050 Ti will scream for mercy. So a good 1440p GPU like the RX 6650 XT or 6700 will work.
Regarding your PSU, your PC at load won't consume more than 250-270w. A simple 2 fan card won't push power consumption over 150w.
The current PSU you have is not the best, and is really meant for entry level builds. Take some precautions, like setting a power limit on your GPU and undervolting it. If it's fine, then stick with it for a while until you upgrade.
A monitor suggestion- Acer XV272U
Thank you for your response. On an unrelated note, strangely enough, all your post notifications are appearing late. When I replied to enthusiast29, your post was not visible and yet now it shows as being posted earlier than his.
Yes, I have come to the same conclusion that GPU + PSU first will be the route to take.
I am planning to go to the nearest Croma and Reliance Digital to check out how 27 inch and 32 inch monitors look in reality.
Yes, my PSU is/was for an entry-level build. I have never done things like undervolting a GPU and while I can always read up about it and attempt it, I think I am more comfortable purchasing a new one. So, whenever I decide to purchase, I will aim for a GPU + PSU first. A RX 6650 XT or a RX 6700 XT with a 750w 80 plus Bronze / gold should do the trick I guess.
As for the monitor, I have this one in sights. (has a good review from rtings.com too) Scared of Acer because was scarred by an Acer laptop long ago.
Thank you and regards
@
It's better to go for higher capacity PSU than keeping tight limit. I follow technique of having PSU which will provide enough supply to all things at their peak performance and extra headroom for 25% spike. Example: if all of my cpu+GPU+ Mobo etc consumes 600watt at their peak performance/turbo/boost/overclock mode then I will consider 800-850watt of Gold rated PSU. Hope this is helpful. Advise Checked used PSU market Some people were selling year old 1000watt PSU at Rs.5000 in sep-oct, although I am not sure now
Thank you for taking time to respond. Yes, I also believe in keeping sufficient headroom and not operating at near-capacity especially when it comes to electrical stuff. Since this will / should be my last PC upgrade, I will aim to get some good components that will last me for quite a few years. I don't think I will be OCing and I look forward to buying unused electronic equipment as far as possible.
Regards
@enthusiast29 @DestGod a slightly different but related query - 1. Will the Ryzen 5 3500 work well enough with the RX 6700 XT? The bottleneck calculator at www.pc-builds.com says it will be perfectly fine but no harm in taking real world opinions.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. On an unrelated note, strangely enough, all your post notifications are appearing late. When I replied to enthusiast29, your post was not visible and yet now it shows as being posted earlier than his.
Yeah, Im a new member here, so I have a couple restrictions :).
The Acer monitor is a highly reviewed monitor, and my friend's version of it is very good, from what I tested. Check rtings.com monitor reviews for the G27Q and XV272U.

slightly different but related query - 1. Will the Ryzen 5 3500 work well enough with the RX 6700 XT? T
Well, it depends on the game you play. The RX 6700 XT is a mid range GPU, and pairing it with a 6 core CPau (even one without SMT) is good. 1440p is much more GPU dependent than CPU dependent, so gains in frames across CPUs a generation newer are usually minimal. The term bottleneck is a misleading one as well. Crank up all your settings to max and you're GPU and CPU will pair well. At 1440p and say medium settings, your GPU will chug along just fine, without giving you any trauma when you look at the Cpu usage in task manager.
However, when you game on a lower resolution and graphics settings, your CPU will struggle to keep up with your GPU.
But in short, your pairing will be fine for 1440p.
Also, a small piece of advice, don't use those bottleneck websites. They are just useless, as all they do is compare numbers. The real world scenario is much different.
This video will give you a good insight on bottlenecking-

Final query before I take the plunge - Sapphire 6750 XT vs. Asus 6700 XT for similar prices - Which one would you suggest? (Assuming that the 6750 XT will work fine with the R 5 3500)

Final query before I take the plunge - Sapphire 6750 XT vs. Asus 6700 XT for similar prices - Which one would you suggest? (Assuming that the 6750 XT will work fine with the R 5 3500)
Now that's a tough one. Sapphire has subpar after sales support. But the 6750 XT is a slightly better card then the 6700 XT. However, i would suggest going with the 6700 XT, as the 6750 XT is basically an OC'ed 6700 XT.

Now that's a tough one. Sapphire has subpar after sales support. But the 6750 XT is a slightly better card then the 6700 XT. However, i would suggest going with the 6700 XT, as the 6750 XT is basically an OC'ed 6700 XT.
Thanks for you response. Going with the Asus OC version of 6700 XT. Sapphire didn't win my confidence. Also settled on a EVGA 750W PSU.

Thanks for you response. Going with the Asus OC version of 6700 XT. Sapphire didn't win my confidence. Also settled on a EVGA 750W PSU.
Is it the 750 BR?
There are a few factors you'll have to look at before going with it.
First is the brand. EVGA is a relatively new brand, so their RMA and service history is not yet established.
Second is the warranty. The 750 BR had only 3 years of warranty.
In its specification page, the temperature range for functioning is listed as 0-30 deg C. This is an alarming part, as ambient temps are over 30 deg C in many parts of India.
Stick with either the XPG Pylon or Deepcool PM650D IMO.

Back