Storage Solutions Is wd caviar green worth buying...?

vikundefined

Disciple
hi guys, i want to buy a 1tb hard disk for my new rig, this is gonna be my primary hard drive.I wanted to know is WD caviar green worth buying.
My rig config is core i5 3450,corsair vengence 4gb,asus p8b75.I have a budget of 5500rs,so please suggest me a good hard drive in this price range.I am more inclined towards WD hard disk because they provide nice after sales service.Thanks

@vikundefined, I suggest that you look at these instead of the Western Digital Green Edition drive (if this is your primary hard-drive) --
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 [64MB cache] 1TB ~4800/-
  • Western Digital Blue Edition 1TB [64MB cache] ~4800/-
Both these are more reliable as OS drives than the Western Digital Green Edition which are more apt to be used as data-dumps because, constant read-write operations take a much greater toll on them and they are notoriously unreliable for these reasons (I have had a multitude of these fail on my friends when they were used as OS drives).

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
i can't find wd caviar blue at this price.

Are you looking up this on flipkart..com? If yes, then you will not get it for such sane-rates expect it to be above ~5100/-.

These are the street prices (may, may-not be inclusive taxes). Where are you buying this RIG from?

Are you looking up this on flipkart..com? If yes, then you will not get it for such sane-rates expect it to be above ~5100/-.

These are the street prices (may, may-not be inclusive taxes). Where are you buying this RIG from?
no i am not looking up at flipkart.i have got these price from smc international nehru place.

no i am not looking up at flipkart.i have got these price from smc international nehru place.

Hmmm... what are they asking for a Western Digital Blue Edition 1TB? Prices have come down a little. I can give you links, here they are --
Also the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB is also pretty good, infact I prefer having Seagate's RMA system over Western Digital door-to-door service, I have friend waiting for 1 month for their replacement drives to reach them, the same time turn around times for Seagate was ~1 -->2 weeks (for internal drives only), externals due to purported stock shortages used to take a month either companies.

Hmmm... what are they asking for a Western Digital Blue Edition 1TB? Prices have come down a little. I can give you links, here they are --
Also the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB is also pretty good, infact I prefer having Seagate's RMA system over Western Digital door-to-door service, I have friend waiting for 1 month for their replacement drives to reach them, the same time turn around times for Seagate was ~1 -->2 weeks (for internal drives only), externals due to purported stock shortages used to take a month either companies.

so should i get the wd blue from flipkart

so should i get the wd blue from flipkart

Yep, just confirm if the it really is a Blue Edition drive. Cheerio!

It is not a blue edition drive, it is a AV-GP drive [CONFIRM] and again optimized for data-dumping specifically audio-video files; avoid, I rather say that you go for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB if you cannot pin-down a source for the Western Digital Blue edition 1TB drive. Avoid the Green edition drives at all costs (for use as an OS drive).

Here is the product list -- http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/#jump2

no its not a blue edition.flipkart say 7200rpm but wd site say it has intelli power(speeds vary on usage) which is a feature on green edition

Barracuda 7200.14 1TB if you cannot pin-down a source for the Western Digital Blue edition 1TB drive. Avoid the Green edition drives at all costs (for use as an OS drive).

Here is the product list -- Product List

Barracuda 7200.14 1TB if you cannot pin-down a source for the Western Digital Blue edition 1TB drive. Avoid the Green edition drives at all costs (for use as an OS drive).

Here is the product list -- Product List
r u sure seagate would be a good buy.
yes i will not buy wd green.If i will not get wd blue then i will have no option other than seagate.

- - - Updated - - -

also the seagate only has 1year warranty.

r u sure seagate would be a good buy.

also the seagate only has 1year warranty.

I know that Seagate has cut down its warranty drastically but it is still better to get one reliable hard-drive rather than a drive that you need to constantly keep an eye on.

I am sure Seagate is a good buy, I have been running my system on 2 xBarracuda 7200.9 320GB hard-drives since February 2010 no issues *touchwood*, formatted just ~3 times (on my own terms for reorganizing and re-partitioning and placing drives in hardware level RAID).

P.S. -- I do have a Western Digital Green edition 1TB drive for the past ~4 months (data-dump for RIPz). No problems on that either, bought it second hand from the Member's Market with 1 year warranty left on them.

guys please help i need to buy hard disk before Tuesday.thanx in advance

- - - Updated - - -

I know that Seagate has cut down its warranty drastically but it is still better to get one reliable hard-drive rather than a drive that you need to constantly keep an eye on.

I am sure Seagate is a good buy, I have been running my system on 2 xBarracuda 7200.9 320GB hard-drives since February 2010 no issues *touchwood*, formatted just ~3 times (on my own terms for reorganizing and re-partitioning and placing drives in hardware level RAID).

P.S. -- I do have a Western Digital Green edition 1TB drive for the past ~4 months (data-dump for RIPz). No problems on that either, bought it second hand from the Member's Market with 1 year warranty left on them.
ok.thanx for replying.I will either get a wd blue or seagate baracuda.

hi guys, i want to buy a 1tb hard disk for my new rig, this is gonna be my primary hard drive.I wanted to know is WD caviar green worth buying.
My rig config is core i5 3450,corsair vengence 4gb,asus p8b75.I have a budget of 5500rs,so please suggest me a good hard drive in this price range.I am more inclined towards WD hard disk because they provide nice after sales service.Thanks
@vikundefined. Stay away from WD Green drives, if you want to use them as primary drives. Those drives tend to lock up very often and would be a bad bargain if you intend to use for anything other than secondary storage drives.

Check these links for the reported issues with WD Green:

HDD freezing periodically - Windows 7 Forums (Check the last Post on Page 3 of this link for more proof)

My own experience:
http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/help-hdd-freezing-every-5-a-136405/

Cheers,
Still

Last edited by a moderator:
vikundefined. Stay away from WD Green drives, if you want to use them as primary drives. Those drives tend to lock up very often and would be a bad bargain if you intend to use for anything other than secondary storage drives.

Check these links for the reported issues with WD Green:

HDD freezing periodically - Windows 7 Forums (Check the last Post on Page 3 of this link for more proof)

My own experience:
http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/help-hdd-freezing-every-5-a-136405/

Cheers,
Still

I have been using WD Caviar Green 500G HD for close to 3 years and more as primary disk. on the other hand my 1.5TB seagate 7200rpm failed in less than 6 months.
I don't find big difference using both in terms of speed, but with green one can ensure extented life. Go Green - save money & power.

ok.thanx for replying.I will either get a wd blue or seagate baracuda.

Seagate has increased its warranty to 2 years for its hard-drives since July 2012 --> Seagate increases the warranty period of your hard drives | Tech News Pedia.

I have been using WD Caviar Green 500G HD for close to 3 years and more as primary disk. on the other hand my 1.5TB seagate 7200rpm failed in less than 6 months.
I don't find big difference using both in terms of speed, but with green one can ensure extented life. Go Green - save money & power.

Dunno, with my 1TB Green edition which I use as a data-dump, just loading all the folders when I open the drive after long idle takes upto ~5 -->10 seconds. I don't know how snappy the OS will feel if I were using the same as my primary drive.

And in general the Green edition drives have been reviled a lot on the internet, in fact on Western Digital forums itself, few batches function fine while I have seen more than a fair share crash as OS drives.

Also which generation Seagate Barracuda drive failed on you?

I don't intend to say that all WD Green drives will fail. My drive has been "working" for more than 3 years now. I had no problem with it when it was the 2nd drive and being used for storing Movies and Music. In fact my Seagate 7200.11 500GB drive on which my OS was installed failed after 3 years and I had to start using my WD green as the OS drive. Technically my WD Green is still working, i.e., no SMART errors, all Disk Diagnostic tests pass. However, its more or less useless since the WD Green Disk just freezes for 3-5 minutes every 10-15 minutes of usage involving random small size writes like Browser cache updation, page file updation, etc.

From what I found on the Internet so for WD Green drives or perhaps 5900rpm drives are best used as storage drives rather than primary boot device.

Seagate has increased its warranty to 2 years for its hard-drives since July 2012 --> Seagate increases the warranty period of your hard drives | Tech News Pedia.

Dunno, with my 1TB Green edition which I use as a data-dump, just loading all the folders when I open the drive after long idle takes upto ~5 -->10 seconds. I don't know how snappy the OS will feel if I were using the same as my primary drive.

And in general the Green edition drives have been reviled a lot on the internet, in fact on Western Digital forums itself, few batches function fine while I have seen more than a fair share crash as OS drives.

Also which generation Seagate Barracuda drive failed on you?

do not know the exact model since I had it disposed long back... While I was running both in parallel (dual os) noticably WD ran cooler and noise free when compared to the other. It may not be the fastest, but it boots my windows 8 (primary os) in less than a minute or just above few secs.

Back