Is Windows Defender enough?

My Norton Subscription expiring soon. I was wondering whether Windows Defender is now good enough. Anybody relying solely on it?

If Not, Whether It's Norton or anything else that's current favourite?

I would say self-defense aka awareness and some common sense is the best defense.
Saying as using computers without any antivirus since a decade now. No infections no crap. Sometimes only occasional minor malware that too only if I tend to run something risking on my own. Thats it! Easy to maintain having full control myself rather than relying on any tools.

I use a lot of ahem stuff like tools, rooting and what not so I dont want the hassles/pain of turning off AV everytime or keeping exclusions defined frequently.

Thanks for all the input.

I don't visit any dodgy sites other than public torrent trackers. I am also careful while accessing internet. I guess WD should do for me.

Been using defender, from the day of its launch, along with some common sense. Even with some *ahem* software, never had any troubles, nor did I ever find the need for a third party AV.

I semi-manage more than 15pcs.

So, yes. You wouldn’t need any other AV. Enjoy a lighter system!

Common sense is enough and free
Unless you go to dodgy sites, download dodgy stuff or use external drives in dodgy places, WD is more than enough.
The kind of explanation that works with the tech aware because you learnt it over a long period of time.

I've found it's impossible to teach it to those that are not tech aware who will innocently click on anything if it says so.

Saying don't accept sweets from strangers does not work here.

If these people are using your PC then windows defender might not be enough. If these people use laptops on the same subnet as yours its also not enough.

If these people never touch your PC and are on a different subnet then windows defender is enough.

I've found it's impossible to teach it to those that are not tech aware who will innocently click on anything if it says so.

If these people are using your PC then windows defender might not be enough. If these people use laptops on your network then its also not enough.

If these people never touch your PC and are on a different subnet then windows defender is enough.
Will second this!
Unless you are the only ones using your system you need a strong AV and be extra cautious.
Esp. when family members/friends plugging in those disastrous pen drives and bang booming the system...

In my case, my system is 99% used only by me and then my wife and she is well aware what to run and not, where to click etc. and will always ask if she suspects anything fishy..

If you are sharing your PC/laptop with family you need more than windows defender unless you don't mind fixing whatever problems come up.

Windows 10 which I use currently has improved a lot over older versions like XP which were much more insecure.

My Norton Subscription expiring soon. I was wondering whether Windows Defender is now good enough. Anybody relying solely on it?

If Not, Whether It's Norton or anything else that's current favourite?
Yes and Yes but with ublock Origin as all online usage is through browser only
Before using any pendrive i always scan it

The kind of explanation that works with the tech aware because you learnt it over a long period of time.

If these people are using your PC then windows defender might not be enough. If these people use laptops on the same subnet as yours its also not enough.

Well I took the OP to be tech literate enough given his query. If that is not the case, let the OP confirm your hypothesis scenarios.

@Kevin Lane

If you can resist your self from clicking on any links Windows Defender is good enough, if by mistake or some time just out of excitement/curiosity wish to click on links then better use Kaspersky or eset Free or Paid.

Yes, windows defender is enough for most. I have survived through college just on windows defender. Just make a habit of not visiting malicious websites, clicking unnecessary ads, opening unknown emails and most important of all - avoiding others pen drive. If any need arise, ask the person to upload on cloud and share the link.

If you use your computer only for accessing mainstream websites then it is sufficient. Please note: No downloading from torrent, no ripped .mp3 files etc , no cracked games or patches.
If looking for an antivirus go Kaspersky InternetSecurity. Its been serving all my devices for more than 10 years. Its superlight no performance or Ram issues.
Just dont forget to buy Internet Security Version.

Back