ISP Tax Issue: DOT, TRAI this Negligent?

swatkats

Skilled
Updated: Every other ISP should now migrate to Unified license and 8% tax would be applicable on Every ISP annual revenue.
Presently NO ISP is paying any 8% tax according to a RTI Reply from DOT.

Earlier
:

I don't Know WTF is going on. There has Been Order by TDSAT (dated 13-10-12) which Rejects Department of Telecom Proposal to Put Tax on ISP Annual Revenue.
Basically whatever the TDSAT Judgments are DOT Should Agree, It's been Around 8 Months - No Sign or No Discussion Regarding this except once where DOT asks suggestions how to Go Forward with the TDSAT order.

Here's the DOT Notification : Link

TDSAT Judgement : Link

You can also Refer to these links: LINK1 | Link2

If this is the Case, then we're Done Dreaming about unlimited 10, 20 mbit/s or Even 100 mbit/s plans at Affordable Prices.

In case you're Wondering what this Sh*t about:

1. You Might have Noticed a Hike in your Internet fee in the past 6 months because of so Called Department of Telecom (DOT) which Comes under Telecommunications Ministry has Imposed an 8% Tax on Annual Income of ISP license Holders.
ISP's have Decided to Decided to Put that Extra Tax amount on the Consumers.

2. ISPAI ( ISP association) Goes to TDSAT ( Tribunal) and Challenges DOT's order as the Broadband Penetration rate is 1% of the population and Hence the Wireline Broadband Penetration will slowdown with such moves.

3. TDSAT Rejects DOT's Proposal in October-2012 ( 8months back) and Hence the DOT has to cancel the order and SEND AN NOTIFICATION TO ISP's Regarding Same and ISP's can Roll Back the Hiked Tariff.

4. TRAI Fixed New Wholesale Bandwidth Charges. Which would Drive down the prices of Internet in India by at least 50%. TATA challenged the order bought a Stay from High court.
Still No Counter petition filed or At least bothered to Follow these Tips from Industry Experts?

Are these Old babu's Sleeping in their offices?:mad:
I am gonna shoot an Email to ISPAI President Now asking about the status of all these.

RIP Dreams of Affordable Fastest Broadband in India :finger:

Last edited:
@swatkats do let us know on the status of the email. And if you need support we can try to help.
Yea we can help you as well. Does pgp portal or rti work in such cases ??
I have been fighting with reliance chor since 15 days via pgp portal and result is not that effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is eye opener.:eek: Thanx for sharing.
This is Not Broadband Niche Forum or else we would have a Meaningful Long conversation :)

I thought no one would probably come back Reply to this Thread.
Still People complain about Costly Internet Access and FUP's.
and apart from those above mentioned other Reasons which the authorities need to look in to is NIXI and Local Loop Unbundling(Refer).

Ever thought why ACT, Nextra, Beam ( add all those who offer 1:1 Speeds with better Plans) Because they Don't Peer with NIXI.
NIXI is such an Bullshit thing with Per GB Tariff of Rs.10/GB.

Yea we can help you as well. Does pgp portal or rti work in such cases ??
I have been fighting with reliance chor since 15 days via pgp portal and result is not that effective.

I am sure you are Fighting about reliance pathetic speeds. Which are all messed up from past 4-5months.
Anil Ambani Doesn't care about his businesses. If He would have then he Would have no Debt of 38,000 Crore nor he would lost his Richest Indian title came down from $42billion to $6billion now.

Would filing an RTI help?

I don't think so. Clearly because they haven't done anything. Whatever they are planning and done are being published in Media.

Someone file a RTI query against NIXI. 10Rs/GB is bloody too much.

Its their tariff policy which was proposed in 2011. RTI for what? However its going to be rs.7/gb from this October.
I believe for every GB of download a ISP is paying 10/Gb and again per Gb uploading is a Separate thing.

The Thing With NIXI is They charge Per Gb, I have Seen Some Ten's of IX Policies. They never ask you to pay Rs.x/gb for Peering
For example Largest Peering point: Amsterdam IX Tariff. Pay Flat Fee For Each Port( 10Gb, 100G) you can transfer as much traffic as you want.

Its their tariff policy which was proposed in 2011. RTI for what? However its going to be rs.7/gb from this October.
I believe for every GB of download a ISP is paying 10/Gb and again per Gb uploading is a Separate thing.

The Thing With NIXI is They charge Per Gb, I have Seen Some Ten's of IX Policies. They never ask you to pay Rs.x/gb for Peering
For example Largest Peering point: Amsterdam IX Tariff. Pay Flat Fee For Each Port( 10Gb, 100G) you can transfer as much traffic as you want.

Oh! Thanks for the tariff link. Its just like our current mobile plans. Not that bad. But the price per GB should be made lesser.

RTI can be used to decide how they came to the current pricing policy. If in the Netherlands they charge on a port basis and not per GB, we can also do the same. With a very low/GB cost. After all, this traffic is domestic and not international!

Oh! Thanks for the tariff link. Its just like our current mobile plans. Not that bad. But the price per GB should be made lesser.

No way!!! do you even Realize that If ISP keeps paying PER GB for Uploading and Downloading Separately then think How much he will sell that GB to the End customer.
If you want i can share some ten's of IX website links. You'l laugh at NIXI then.

Havent we got any decent lawyer here who can file some counter petition or something like that..?

What can we do. It's up to the TeleCommunications department to sort out. It's Just that Lame people run the whole ministry Not people like you and me.

As long as BSNL is accepting bribes from Local ISP's not to Increase Speeds on Present Broadband plans, the Scene will be Same in India as what it is in Hyderabad. Corrupt a******

What can we do. It's up to the TeleCommunications department to sort out. It's Just that Lame people run the whole ministry Not people like you and me.
As long as BSNL is accepting bribes from Local ISP's not to Increase Speeds on Present Broadband plans, the Scene will be Same in India as what it is in Hyderabad

Being on a forum which boasts itself as the top technology forum, i expect better co ordination and at least better plans to make the right kind of noise.

Be it any field.. civic amenities, development, management, internet, education, gen care for its citizens.. people are treated as loose change by the politicians and bureaucrats.
I find it odd that even after so many years of witnessing the trend, we dont have a concerted efforts underway on the sly even by the more educated and aware citizens/netizens to atleast take small steps in asking the questions through channels which ll make the concerned authorities uncomfortable and make the voices heard. The issues plaguing the progress on any scene must be made clear to everybody if nothing else.

The thread explaining the landing cost etc and ultimately why internet isnt cheap in India is wonderful, but i havent seen people making use of it to make the right sort of noises. The lad there has responded and replied to the queries and people have just ranted off.

Just like how that news on disney's plans to bring in a remastered game of yesteryears in HD saw people here asking questions to right people and getting the reply as to why Indian language support wont be possible instantly, and how things work in their planning circle was revealed to us which can be used for future references.. that kinda effort should be aimed at.

More efforts to use that info from the internet thread, and doing something productive is needed, else we will always be left at the mercy of these ghooskhor politicians forever.

An Update on this issue.

Under the New Telecom License an Pure ISP is Exempted from the 8% Fee From AGR.
Telecom License holders after expiry of their license have to Migrate to the New Policies.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...com-regime/articleshow/21711203.cms?prtpage=1

However there is no Clarity on Tax Imposed Last year has been withdrawn or not.
The article states:
There was proposal to impose 8 per cent licence fee on adjusted gross revenue (turnover from telecom services) which could have led to around 24-25 per rise in Internet rates
There was a proposal and it was not implemented then why is the ISP milking extra money from us from the past 10months?

and there is also a proposal to Waive off Service Tax on Broadband which will Reduce Broadband price as you don't have to Pay Service Tax..
http://www.ciol.com/ciol/news/174378/industry-hails-dots-proposed-service-tax-cut-internet

Last edited:
@cisco_tech @benryu @Spacescreamer
Can someone help me File an RTI with Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
All you have to ask is : "There was a Tax Proposal on ISP's AGR last year by DOT. Is the 8% Tax on ISP's Annual AGR Proposal Still applicable for Present Pure ISP License holders?"
You can file RTI via http://onlinerti.com/ or http://www.rtination.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent New Tariff plans by my ISP suggest there is still some tax applicable or they have given Discount on Monthly bills on the Extra amount collected from 9 months as DOT TAX.

Nixi is not compulsory I think. So no reason anyone should peer with them and pay those stupid charges which someone thought in his sleep.
The ones peering with Nixi and paying those kind of charges should get their heads examined.
The only reason private companies are waiting for local loop unbinding is to save money on laying cables. They can any day easily pool together their resources to lay fibre optic lines throughout the country and then share the cost amongst themselves. They could then share the line bandwidth according to amount of money they invested in them.

Nixi is not compulsory I think. So no reason anyone should peer with them and pay those stupid charges which someone thought in his sleep.
NIXI is an Internet Exchange Point. Where all the Small and Big ISP Peer with Each other, In simple Words Just Keep to the traffic Local rather than Every ISP using the International Bandwidth.
However it not compulsory to Peer with them. Many ISP's like Beam, Alliance Don't Peer with them.

Yes Local Loop Unbundling is the way to go. the National Broadband project is supposed to be doing that only.[DOUBLEPOST=1376066286][/DOUBLEPOST]Is anyone willing to Help me File an RTI?? This is an Serious Issue. :mad:

Last edited:
Back