It's a Sony! (256k warning):P

Sei

Skilled
Just bought the Sony BX400 from the new 2010 lineup of Sony. We got the LCD on Friday but I was so busy setting it up with the download rig I got (to run XBMC) that I did not get time to take and post pics.

You all can see how the TV looks from outside on the Sony India website. Instead of that, I've taken loads of pics with different movies running on it. Will add more if someone wants. All of the pics were taken at night with 2 lamps behind me on either side of the bed. So, in some pics you can see the reflections from the lamps. Please ignore :p

dsc01426z.jpg
dsc01424e.jpg
dsc01423o.jpg
dsc01422v.jpg
dsc01421td.jpg
dsc01420n.jpg
dsc01419a.jpg
dsc01416qb.jpg
dsc01413n.jpg
dsc01411t.jpg
dsc01410r.jpg

dsc01409cq.jpg
dsc01408x.jpg
dsc01407v.jpg
dsc01406a.jpg
dsc01405cr.jpg

dsc01404hc.jpg
dsc01403jd.jpg
dsc01402ea.jpg
dsc01401tw.jpg
dsc01400b.jpg

dsc01398z.jpg
dsc01394rf.jpg
dsc01392je.jpg
dsc01390wk.jpg
dsc01389x.jpg

dsc01388c.jpg
dsc01387j.jpg
dsc01385vl.jpg
dsc01384g.jpg
dsc01383f.jpg

dsc01382bo.jpg
dsc01381d.jpg
dsc01380lq.jpg
dsc01379g.jpg
dsc01378m.jpg

dsc01377r.jpg
dsc01376j.jpg
dsc01375o.jpg
dsc01374.jpg
dsc01373d.jpg
dsc01371uu.jpg
dsc01370b.jpg
dsc01369x.jpg
dsc01426z.jpg

Phew :D

The prints range from a very bad quality SD (Bedazzled) to full HD. I found the PQ to be excellent.

Got it for 54k after 4k off for the old 29" CRT I had.

^XBMC (on Windows 7) running on my download rig without a graphics card at the moment. Specs in the my signature. My E6300 manages to run everything except 1080p over LAN without any issues.

Desecrator said:
Congrats man! Very soon there's going to be sense and simplicity prevailing at my place. :p

Waiting for the show-off thread. :D

TechHead said:
Bah! MediaBrowser >> XBMC!

Congrats!

Really now.. are you serious? :O

The amount of customization possible with XBMC is what makes it superior. You should check out the XBMC forums. And the Aeon skin (which I'm yet to install ) looks absolutely amazing! Anyways, you must have used XBMC that's why you are saying this. To each his own I guess.

jags1987 said:
Congrats :hap2:

So did u get that other Sony ;)..waiting for that show off:eek:hyeah:

Yeah man, I did get that. Still working on the mini-review. Don't want to simply post pics. :)

Congrats dude...

i will also be buying an LCD soon, atleast before the FIFA world cup. Was the EX500 series on display. Would be a better buy since it has 100hz motionflow. But have to consider the price difference.

54k for his LCD is a pretty good deal.

One more thing. I might sound like a noob here. Does XBMC directly stream movies from PC to the TV using a wireless router. Or do you need a xbox to recieve the stream.

sarang said:
Congrats Sei!

So when do we drop in for a screening? :p

Anytime Sirjee :D But with all the cool stuff you got, I want to have a screening at your place!

abhisinalkar said:
superb man ... congo

Anubis said:
Congrats Sei

Awesome LCD

dr.sankhadeep said:
congo....awesome buy

Thank you :)

swordfish123 said:
Congrats dude...

i will also be buying an LCD soon, atleast before the FIFA world cup. Was the EX500 series on display. Would be a better buy since it has 100hz motionflow. But have to consider the price difference.

54k for his LCD is a pretty good deal.

One more thing. I might sound like a noob here. Does XBMC directly stream movies from PC to the TV using a wireless router. Or do you need a xbox to recieve the stream.

Nah, the EX500 was not on display. And it is quite pricey. Should be atleast 70k. You should check out the Philips model too that Chaos has purchased and Gannu will be purchasing (most probably :p). Check in the Sony LCD thread in Consumer Electronics. Forgot the name.

Regarding XBMC. XBMC is simply a media manager, somewhat like Windows Media Player or Winamp. You only have to give it a source and it downloads metadata and builds a library for you. That can be on the PC where XBMC is installed, or on a PC over wired LAN/Wi-Fi or disks or NAS etc. There are so many options.

Router is not a necessity. It just needs you to define sources. Pretty awesome. :eek:hyeah:

Edit: Found the name of the Philips TV

http://www.techenclave.com/consumer-electronics/reviews-on-the-new-sony-lcds-161330.html#post1436897

Advice against my buy. Caveat Emptor! :p

Chaos said:
Had a look at the EX/BX/NX LCDs today when I was buying a TV. No offense but all of them had pretty bad lag and motion seemed jittery. Plus the colors were typical sony - oversaturated and blown out. Only thing nice were the black levels. Anyway all of them paled in comparison to what I finally got - a top of the line Philips PFL9703 with a 10bit IPS 1080p panel, 100Hz scan, deep color support and very good SD processing. The colors, detail, motion resolution were significantly superior and it costed me just 56k. Plus its not made in china and doesn't have flimsy build quality as the Sonys. Only thing better on the sonys were the black levels.

If you can pick up the last few remaining 9703 TVs, at the price they are being sold at they are a complete steal.

One thing that I noticed is that Sony LCDs look shitty in the showrooms playing cable but when I started seeing movies at home, the picture just popped out. Am still not sure why that happened. Also, if you go to check out a TV, make sure that they have not set the Picture setting to "Vivid". That is typically the cause of oversaturated and blown-out colors.

Wow really good stuff, congrats!

How do you connect your media player (win7/xbmc) to the computer? Via HDMI cable? There is none of that "digital content protection" crap?

I am thinking of trying something similar but will wait for end of this year or maybe the next for good OS/hardware/software options :)

@Sei: Since you never turn up for the meets; we take it upon us to drop down to take a look at whatever u bought (damn WebSense :mad:) XBMC also intrigues me...

^ Right now I'm using a plain old VGA cable. I don't think that even via HDMI there should be any issues relating to digital content protection.

I was thinking of going in for an XStreamer earlier but the options get very limited. Plus, I'm not a big fan of the GUI of XStreamer. Mom and dad are pretty happy with XBMC. Now my 400+ movies and 20 odd series can be accessed by my mom with a single remote. She's thrilled. :p

djmykey said:
@Sei: Since you never turn up for the meets; we take it upon us to drop down to take a look at whatever u bought (damn WebSense :mad:) XBMC also intrigues me...

Absolutely man, always welcome! :D

Back