JioFibre and Asus AC58U- not getting Gigabit

Hi guys,

Just got a JioFibre 150 Mbps connection. When the Jio Fibre router is connected directly to my Gigabit network, I get 148-150Mbps speeds (checked both on the mobile and desktops), but when I connect the Jio Fibre to my Asus RTAC58U router, I am only getting 100 Mbps! I changed the cat6/5e cables going between Jio-Asus-Network Gigabit switch; does not seem to be an issue there. I am wondering if the Asus RTAC58U's WAN port is limited to 100 Mbps speeds! Asus' website (RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 4) says Gigabit speeds on Wan, but why is this happening?

The Jio IP is the standard 192.168.29.1 (I am not able to change this)
And Asus is 192.168.1.1 (255.255.255.0 ) - should I change this ?

Once I can get it to work, my next step is to get a dual-wan router for fail-overs.

As a side note: I tried to get Pihole to work with Jio (this is without using the Asus in the loop); does not work. Disabled DHCP on Jio. DHCP turned on on Pihole - works for a while, then DNS problems on the network. Anyway, I will try to troubleshoot this later. Pihole is disconnected for now.

Waiting for your feedback guys.

TP-Link TL-R605 Will this work with JioFibre, anyone got experience using this?​

Last edited:
The Jio Fiber router doesn't have WiFI ? What is the Asus RT-AC58U for ?

If extending the range is the purpose, you should set the Asus RT-AC58U to "Access Point" mode and connect a Cat 6 cable from the LAN port of Jio Fiber router to the LAN port of the Asus RT-AC58U. You should try placing the routers appropriately to get maximum coverage without overlap.

Regarding Pi-hole, if you use DHCP, you should disable DHCP in your Jio Fiber router (Access point mode disables DHCP automatically in RT-AC58U) and set the DNS server address to Pi-hole IP address.

Your existing setup is not optimal but it should not cause the drop in speeds.

Hope that helps

The Jio Fiber router doesn't have WiFI ? What is the Asus RT-AC58U for ?

If extending the range is the purpose, you should set the Asus RT-AC58U to "Access Point" mode and connect a Cat 6 cable from the LAN port of Jio Fiber router to the LAN port of the Asus RT-AC58U. You should try placing the routers appropriately to get maximum coverage without overlap.

Regarding Pi-hole, if you use DHCP, you should disable DHCP in your Jio Fiber router (Access point mode disables DHCP automatically in RT-AC58U) and set the DNS server address to Pi-hole IP address.

Your existing setup is not optimal but it should not cause the drop in speeds.

Hope that helps
Thanks for your reply. I am trying one thing at a time..

1) Use Asus as my primary router with Jio.

The Jio has wifi, just don't want to use it as a router. No, and this is not for extending the router.

I plan to get a dual Wan router. Plan to connect Jio in one Wan port and my other ISP on the other Wan port for failovers.

Right now I am only testing if I can use the existing Asus router as a router for my Jio connection. I don't know why the speed is dropping. Don't want to invest in the new router till I sort this out.

2) The pihole is important to me. I did disable dhcp on the Jio, and changed Dns to point to Pihole. Won't work. Will try to post screenshots later.

1) Use Asus as my primary router with Jio.

The Jio has wifi, just don't want to use it as a router. No, and this is not for extending the router.
Can you change configuration of Jio Fiber router ? What is the connection method ? DHCP / PPPoE ?

Does the Jio Fiber router has a bridge mode ?
I plan to get a dual Wan router. Plan to connect Jio in one Wan port and my other ISP on the other Wan port for failovers.
A router which supports Openwrt / Tomato or Mikrotik / Ubiquiti will be required to do dual WAN. Some high end consumer routers may support dual wan in their stock form as well

Can you change configuration of Jio Fiber router ? What is the connection method ? DHCP / PPPoE ?

Does the Jio Fiber router has a bridge mode ?

A router which supports Openwrt / Tomato or Mikrotik / Ubiquiti will be required to do dual WAN. Some high end consumer routers may support dual wan in their stock form as well
Thanks Bobby, the Jio does have bridge mode- but does not work! The WAN settings are not even visible (so cannot do anything about it).

Only LAN settings are there. Again, I cannot change the LAN IP from 192.168.29.1 (it just hangs up).

I can change DHCP settings, etc..pihole worked last night for a short time, then again things did not work.

When I connected one of the LAN ports of the Jio router to the Asus WAN Port (set to automatic address in WAN) - I get the Internet, but not more than 100 Mbps ; like I mentioned it works at 150 Mbps when the Jio is the main router. Flummoxed.

Here are the lan settings. Want at least to make pihole work, but have not succeeded so far. I have succeeded right now with pihole. Disabled DHCP on Jio and enabled it on pihole . Lets see if it works.

Next step is to see if I can get the Asus router to work as a main router on JIO without dropping speed to 100 mbps.

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-R6.../B08QTXNWZ1/ref=psdc_1375439031_t1_B00GK640D6 I am looking to get this for Dual WAN.

Attachments

• Jio_1.JPG
    Jio_1.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just got a JioFibre 150 Mbps connection. When the Jio Fibre router is connected directly to my Gigabit network, I get 148-150Mbps speeds (checked both on the mobile and desktops), but when I connect the Jio Fibre to my Asus RTAC58U router, I am only getting 100 Mbps! I changed the cat6/5e cables going between Jio-Asus-Network Gigabit switch; does not seem to be an issue there. I am wondering if the Asus RTAC58U's WAN port is limited to 100 Mbps speeds! Asus' website (RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 4) says Gigabit speeds on Wan, but why is this happening?

The Jio IP is the standard 192.168.29.1 (I am not able to change this)
And Asus is 192.168.1.1 (255.255.255.0 ) - should I change this ?

Once I can get it to work, my next step is to get a dual-wan router for fail-overs.

As a side note: I tried to get Pihole to work with Jio (this is without using the Asus in the loop); does not work. Disabled DHCP on Jio. DHCP turned on on Pihole - works for a while, then DNS problems on the network. Anyway, I will try to troubleshoot this later. Pihole is disconnected for now.

Waiting for your feedback guys.

TP-Link TL-R605 Will this work with JioFibre, anyone got experience using this?​

I use the R605 as a failover setup with Airtel fiber + a local cable fiber connection as failover.
The WAN connection is 300mbps and actually yields 350-360
I get full 350/350 on both wired and wireless devices on the LAN.

The only con i can think of is that failover takes about 5-8 seconds if the primary goes down - but relatively speaking, thats a whole lot better than the 45-60 seconds i used to get with a Ubiquiti edgerouter.

For your scenario too, no reason why it shouldn’t work although you may have to use the Jio connection in double NAT mode as Jio doesn’t allow their router to be bridged AFAIK.
For typical home usage though, double NAT should not pose any issue

Are you doing any critical work where you need failover? I am using JioFiber for home and work use. I have not noticed any down time since September 2020. I have not monitored the uptime with a tool but a lot of devices stays on 24/7 on my network. I have not noticed any down time or failure on those devices.

JioFiber won't allow bridge mode as they want to have control. Only way they can have control is by making users use their own router. It is also less troublesome for them to troubleshoot.

I am able to hit Gigabit speeds on the router connected to lan port of JioFiber Router. I am running the other router in AP Mode. Not sure why your Asus router is getting limited. Are you on the latest firmware? Try connecting directly from the Asus Router lan port (without using the switch) to your device and see if you are able to hit gigabit speeds.

I am happy with JioFiber in terms of stability, uptime and speeds. I want to have more control over the router, probably want to put a OpenWRT supported router in it's place, enjoy better pings and want to be done with their blocking. But for me there is no other provider providing 300 Mb/s. There are local fiber providers with 100 Mb/s but there is up time issue.

I use the R605 as a failover setup with Airtel fiber + a local cable fiber connection as failover.
The WAN connection is 300mbps and actually yields 350-360
I get full 350/350 on both wired and wireless devices on the LAN.

The only con i can think of is that failover takes about 5-8 seconds if the primary goes down - but relatively speaking, thats a whole lot better than the 45-60 seconds i used to get with a Ubiquiti edgerouter.

For your scenario too, no reason why it shouldn’t work although you may have to use the Jio connection in double NAT mode as Jio doesn’t allow their router to be bridged AFAIK.
For typical home usage though, double NAT should not pose any issue
Thanks, exactly what I want to do. Any tips on how to set double NAT correctly?
Are you doing any critical work where you need failover? I am using JioFiber for home and work use. I have not noticed any down time since September 2020. I have not monitored the uptime with a tool but a lot of devices stays on 24/7 on my network. I have not noticed any down time or failure on those devices.

JioFiber won't allow bridge mode as they want to have control. Only way they can have control is by making users use their own router. It is also less troublesome for them to troubleshoot.

I am able to hit Gigabit speeds on the router connected to lan port of JioFiber Router. I am running the other router in AP Mode. Not sure why your Asus router is getting limited. Are you on the latest firmware? Try connecting directly from the Asus Router lan port (without using the switch) to your device and see if you are able to hit gigabit speeds.

I am happy with JioFiber in terms of stability, uptime and speeds. I want to have more control over the router, probably want to put a OpenWRT supported router in it's place, enjoy better pings and want to be done with their blocking. But for me there is no other provider providing 300 Mb/s. There are local fiber providers with 100 Mb/s but there is up time issue.
Hey man, not mission critical, but I do need things up and running if ever it goes down. Plus when I am not at my SOHO, I want it to happen seamlessly without anyone in the family getting disturbed. And just like you I want to have more control than Jio (over my router). I just don't like the idea of them having this much control. Anyways, I will probably go for the multiwan and see how it works.

I am still flummoxed why I cannot get 150Mbps using the Asus. Even with double NAT.

Lastly would it be possible to host a cloud server on Jio? Like Next Cloud or own cloud. To be accessed from outside via the Net?

Last edited:
@Doc Holliday I don't think you will be able to host a file server outside of your network in Jio Router with the inbuilt usb port. I think you can do that with your PI. Connect a USB Drive to your PI and configure it to be accessible outside of your network.

I want to be able to host a server using NextCloud or own cloud.
You will need a public/static ip for that. AFAIK, jio provides public ipv6 by default, not sure about ipv4. Ipv6 routing could become difficult, especially for ipv4 only devices(will need some ipv6 to ipv4 conversions and port forwarding).

Also, wouldn't recommend running anything publicly without a firewall. Maybe setup a VPN server at home for public access and connect via VPN for accessing local network remotely.

Guys, the Gigabit issue is solved. Turned out to be a defective WAN port on the Asus RT-AC58U router! I swapped it with a Tenda router which I was using in the office, and now I am getting 150 Mbps!

Still on double NAT though. Will try Pihole next.

@burntwingzZz There is a lot of concerns but the up-time is exceptional. I have not seen any down time since Sept 2020 on my JioFiber connection. I am waiting for more options in my area (Airtel, Tata Sky Broadband) but I will only make the switch if other providers provide similar uptime. I am willing to give up on privacy for better uptime and reliability.

totally understand the uptime scenario in WFH phase of life .idk where you live but here in mumbai , my local internet/tv wala has never let me down apart from scheduled maintenances which he updates over whatsapp and had faced an issue with longer down time that was due to lightning strike in our locality which had taken away many appliances from almost every house hold .he lost all his network equipment within few seconds and was fixed after 2 days.

Last edited:
totally understand the uptime scenario in WFH phase of life .idk where you live but here in mumbai , my local internet/tv wala has never let me down apart from scheduled maintenances which he updates over whatsapp and had faced an issue with longer down time that was due to lightning strike in our locality which had taken away many appliances from almost every house hold .he lost all his network equipment within few seconds and was fixed after 2 days.
I am in Mumbai as well. It's just the issue with my particular locality. Nearby areas have countless of options to choose from. I will shift from JioFiber later or sooner when there is option. Not interested in feeding Reliance Industries with our data.

Back