Just bought a LG Optimus P500. Few Questions.

Thanks to the wonderfully talented pickpockets of Bangalore, I have lost 3 phones in 3 years :mad:. Just placed an order for LG Optimus P500 in Ebay after reading so much reviews. But I'm confused about few basic things.

1) Rooting. Is it possible for this model? If so, is it worth it? What is the easiest way to do this [Again too many links with different methods :huh:]

2) Gingerbread OTA Update. Read that the update will be available in android market somewhere after May this year. Does rooting the phone result in this update not getting installed

3) Pre-Installed Apps. Heard that it comes with a lot of Bollywood crap and other bloatware which is uninstallable. Reading different versions of uninstalling them [everything involving rooting as a pre-requisite] Are there ways to remove without rooting

4) Flashing & Custom ROMs. Will do if it only for improving the look of the default skin. If rooted which stable Firmware can be flashed [Heard that cyanogenmod doesn't have Bluetooth working] Or am I confusing the terms here:huh:

5) Pretty generic question. Am a noob to Android and in the process of learning, so any good resources [No XDA forums please, they are pretty confusing]

lol...al the answers of your question is there on XDA.

But as you find it confusing, please refer The LG Optimus One P500 Blog, I think this is ran by one of the member here in TE(forgot the name).

And lastly don't forget to post Show Off after getting your hands on the phone.

I dont own a Optimus, but will try to clarify a few things.

1. I am not sure about rooting procedure for Optimus, but if it is worth it or not depends on what you want out of it. Rooting gives you complete control over the system partition where your OS resides. Normally the OS partition is locked so that you cannot make any change to it (prevents you from corrupting things accidentally)

2. Update will not be available in android market. The update will be pushed to your device by the manufacturer when it is ready. And yes, trying to update a manufacturer rom on a rooted device will cause the device to not boot at all (you can install, but you will get stuck with a non-bootable device which can be recovered again). So if you root now, then you can wait and some developer will root the new update and post it. You can then download the pre-rooted update and flash it in your device. If you need to update to manufacturer rom (stock rom) you will need to unroot first.

3. AS I said, they will be in system partition which is locked by default. You will have to root to gain access to it and remove unwanted apps

4. Depends on the Custom rom. Some roms offer you a plain interface with maximum speed while removing all the extra stuff from manufacturers, while other roms try to include only essential items. Some roms do include additional features like moving apps to sd-card thereby letting you install 100's of apps without running out of space. Again, these are rom specific. You need to search and then find the one best for you by trial and error.

5. What do you need to learn in android? Just google tips and tricks android and you will get tons of information.

These info are not specific to Optimus, but I guess most of it will hold true. Welcome to the world of android, You will definitely enjoy it :D

Edit: Most important Tip: Never use task killers to close tasks in android. It is a big misconception that killing tasks will improve battery life. It is not true. There are no specific "exit" options in android. Use the back key to exit out of apps and you will be fine. use task killer to kill a task ONLY when it freezes up or misbehaves.

neoronin said:
Thanks to the wonderfully talented pickpockets of Bangalore, I have lost 3 phones in 3 years :mad:. Just placed an order for LG Optimus P500 in Ebay after reading so much reviews. But I'm confused about few basic things.

1) Rooting. Is it possible for this model? If so, is it worth it? What is the easiest way to do this [Again too many links with different methods :huh:]

2) Gingerbread OTA Update. Read that the update will be available in android market somewhere after May this year. Does rooting the phone result in this update not getting installed

3) Pre-Installed Apps. Heard that it comes with a lot of Bollywood crap and other bloatware which is uninstallable. Reading different versions of uninstalling them [everything involving rooting as a pre-requisite] Are there ways to remove without rooting

4) Flashing & Custom ROMs. Will do if it only for improving the look of the default skin. If rooted which stable Firmware can be flashed [Heard that cyanogenmod doesn't have Bluetooth working] Or am I confusing the terms here:huh:

5) Pretty generic question. Am a noob to Android and in the process of learning, so any good resources [No XDA forums please, they are pretty confusing]
1. Yes, but only for Firmware v10b and previous one, so if it comes with v10c or v10d, you need to degrade the firmware. z4root will do the job.

2. Nope, simple rooting won't do any harm, but if you install Custom ROM then you won't be able to get the update(which won't be needed if you install Custom ROM :p)

3. Nope. Rooting is must to remove them.

4. Many ROM available there. Just choose the one according to your need. Go to XDA. Sorry nothing more here to suggest. It's like asking for "Which Linux Distro is best??"

5. lol..no...you are a techie, just go through the phone and you'll get basic functionality, and while installing Custom ROM and else just keep your eyes open, be patient, and read the instructions and follow them carefully. Everyone was noob to android when he/she got the phone first time, as Android itself is new.

krishnandu said:
1. Yes, but only for Firmware v10b and previous one, so if it comes with v10c or v10d, you need to degrade the firmware. z4root will do the job
How do I find the firmware? Does the z4root downgrade the firmware as a process of rooting or do we need to manually downgrade the firmware and then use z4root to root the phone.

lol...buddy get the phone first, then go thorough it, it's not that hard as you are assuming it to be.

Firmware is listed on Settings. No you have to download the firmware and then downgrade with KDZ and then root with z4root.

Refer that blog I gave you. It's written in easy language, not like XDA.

krishnandu said:
lol...buddy get the phone first, then go thorough it, it's not that hard as you are assuming it to be.

Firmware is listed on Settings. No you have to download the firmware and then downgrade with KDZ and then root with z4root.

Refer that blog I gave you. It's written in easy language, not like XDA.
why does your every other answer start with an lol???

oh i dont have anything worthwhile to add to the question :(

Back