Just Bought a New Synology NAS

I was thinking about to buy a NAS for long time. Finally I ordered one from Amazon.in.
I was planning to purchase the NAS for data backup mainly. After long consideration, DS220+ is my final choice.
Before purchasing, I also compared lots of brands such as WD, QNAP...etc, but Synology's software is the main reason for me to purchase.
It is quite surprising that Synology is providing so many applications within their operation system, and most of them are totally free of cost. If you have some experience of using some of the applications, please recommend me what I can also try in the future.

What else makes me also satisfy is that it is very easy and convenience to connect the NAS no matter where I am. Synology is having a features call Quickconnect. I can create a customized address such as "quickconnect.to/@@##$$%", then I only need to type the address in the web browser like Chrome or Firefox, then I am able to log in the NAS as long as there is Internet connected.

The applications which is mostly used by me are "Synology Drive" and "Active Backup for Business"
Synology Drive is quite like creating my only Google Drive at home, so I can easily access and share the file with others. They even have a mobile app, so I can get my file on my phone as well.
Active backup for Business is for my computers backup. This application can have bare-metal backup for multiple devices. I conducted the backup task with my desktop at home and a laptop with me. It claims that it can also have the backup for virtual machine, but I've never try it. However it's quite cool that this app is free, some backup software is quite costly out there in the market...

For the time being, I am feeling good with the NAS. Overall, I will recommend this device.
Wondering if anyone who also purchased Synology NAS can share with me what else applications is interested and worth for a try.

I have a netgear 4 bay Readynas. It has been running strong since quiet a few years. However I do miss the modularity, expandability and power of a assembled NAS. I went with the ReadyNAS since the formfactor is small and it integrates with my AV setup which my assembled NAS could not.

Great Choice! I'm using DS218 since march 2018. I mostly use the below:

1. Cloud Sync - Backup imp files to Box
2. Synology Drive
3. Download Station
4. Surveillance Station - You get NVR for 2 IP cam for free, additional cams needs expensive license. It has awesome smart search feature for recordings.
5. HyperBackup - Makes copies of important files at night to external 1TB HDD (old HDD that I retained)
6. Teamviewer to access the NAS from anywhere apart from quickconnect

there is a major firmware upgrade upcoming soon.

I have a netgear 4 bay Readynas. It has been running strong since quiet a few years. However I do miss the modularity, expandability and power of a assembled NAS. I went with the ReadyNAS since the formfactor is small and it integrates with my AV setup which my assembled NAS could not.
Cool, I never thought of having a assemble NAS cuz I am not so familiar for DIY stuff.
Actually another reason for me to choose Synology is that I prefer the appearance of Synology better than other brand.

Great Choice! I'm using DS218 since march 2018. I mostly use the below:

1. Cloud Sync - Backup imp files to Box
2. Synology Drive
3. Download Station
4. Surveillance Station - You get NVR for 2 IP cam for free, additional cams needs expensive license. It has awesome smart search feature for recordings.
5. HyperBackup - Makes copies of important files at night to external 1TB HDD (old HDD that I retained)
6. Teamviewer to access the NAS from anywhere apart from quickconnect

there is a major firmware upgrade upcoming soon.
Oh man, you are really an expert!
Seems like you had backup the file into so many different location, it is actually the best way to protect the data.
Is your DS218 for your personal use, or it is for your office?
I am enjoying uploading my photo into the application "Moment" in the weekend. It can categorized the photo automatically for me, and it can also backup my photo from the phone to the NAS. This one is nice!

By the way, do you mean this for firmware upgrade?

I use it for both office & home.

yes, they will merge Photo station & Moments in DSM 7, will use than after upgrade, for the time I use google photos.

I'm sure you must have enabled the no. of file versions to be kept on the NAS. It's a very good feature that is not provided by Dropbox or GDrive.

I own an DS218, mostly using it for serving music, photo & video, document storage.
some torrenting & downloads.
Yes, already using Audio Station & Video Station, good user interface to manage all music and video.
I found Plex server can also be installed on Synology NAS, I guess you must have already tried it.

Yes, already using Audio Station & Video Station, good user interface to manage all music and video.
I found Plex server can also be installed on Synology NAS, I guess you must have already tried it.
I use Logitech Media server & Minimserver.

For videos, I don't use any app, though I have Media server installed. I use Kodi on Fire Stick, map network drive in Kodi to point to the videos.

Can we permanently connect this NAS to a HikVision DVR? I am thinking to bypass the DVR's 1 TB/500GB(not sure) internal storage.

Back