Juventus back in Serie A

Juventus back in Serie A
photo42e41a8wf4.jpg

ABC Sports said:
Juventus reclaimed their place in Serie A after one season in the second division following their 5-1 win at Arezzo overnight.
The famous Turin club were demoted to Serie B last summer for their part in the Italian match-fixing scandal.
Alessandro Del Piero and Giorgio Chiellini both scored twice for the visitors, while French striker David Trezeguet grabbed the other goal.
The scandal, known as 'Calciopoli', involved five Serie A clubs, referees and high-ranked Italian football federation officials.
As the club at the centre of the furore, Juventus received the severest punishment.
The club were stripped of the league titles they won in 2004-05 and 2005-06 and denied entry into the Champions League. They were also deducted nine points for their Serie B campaign.

Source: ABC Sport - Football - Juventus back in Serie A

soccerway said:
AREZZO, Italy (AFP) - Juventus reclaimed their place in Serie A after one season in the second division following their 5-1 win at Arezzo on Saturday.

The famous Turin club were demoted to Serie B last summer for their part in the Italian match-fixing scandal.

Alessandro Del Piero and Giorgio Chiellini both scored twice for the visitors, while French striker David Trezeguet grabbed the other goal.

Juve coach Didier Deschamps was delighted to see the club, who have won 27 Serie A titles and two European Cups - back in Italy's top division.

"I am really pleased for the players and I am proud to have taken Juve back where they belong," he said.

"This promotion cannot be compared with some of the club's other achievements in the past, but it will be part of our history and it's right to celebrate it."

Despite media reports that Deschamps may not be coach next season due to an alleged fall-out with some board members, Juve's general manager Jean-Claude Blanc insisted the former France international would stay.

"Today is a day of joy and a new journey starts and it continues with Deschamps," he said. "I've always said it.

"There are no disagreements. Deschamps stays with us."

The scandal, known as 'Calciopoli', involved five Serie A clubs, referees and high-ranked Italian football federation (FIGC) officials.

As the club at the centre of the furore, Juventus received the severest punishment.

The club were stripped of the league titles they won in 2004-05 and 2005-06 and denied entry into the Champions League. They were also deducted nine points for their Serie B campaign.

Their demotion led to the departure of many of their star players, including French defender Lilian Thuram, wingback Gianluca Zambrotta, French midfielder Patrick Vieira, Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Italian World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro.

Coach Fabio Capello also jumped ship, returning to Spain for a second spell with Real Madrid.

However, Italy keeper Gianluigi Buffon, Trezeguet and Czech midfielder Pavel Nedved demonstrated their loyalty by sticking it out in a lower division, while former Juve midfielder Deschamps was hired to replace Capello.

Deschamps understood the need to add youth to experience and placed his trust in the feet of several youngsters, including striker Raffaele Palladino, midfielder Marco Marchionni and defender Federico Balzaretti.

The match-fixing scandal erupted last May when newspapers published transcripts of telephone conversations in which former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi tells Pierluigi Pairetto, head of the Italian referees' association and member of UEFA's referees committee, which officials he wants assigned to certain league and European matches.

The conversations revealed that Moggi and fellow director Antonio Giraudo effectively controlled the pool of referees who ensured Juventus benefited from their decisions.

The referees would overlook fouls committed by Juve players and disallow perfectly good goals scored against his team.

Moggi also planned ahead, ordering referees to book or send off talented players of teams who would be facing Juventus the following week, so that they would be suspended for the Juve match.

Moggi was hit with a five-year ban from football, but it seems that the scandal is set to run and run.

Earlier this month former Juventus director Maurizio Capobianco claimed the club gave expensive gifts to referees and FIGC officials.

Capobianco, who worked for Juve from 1984 to 2005, made the allegations in an interview with an Italian newspaper and has been called up by the FIGC to explain his comments.

Juventus hit back saying Capobianco made his outburst because he is involved in a legal dispute with the club.

Source: Soccerway · News · Juventus back in Serie A

BBC.co.uk said:

Juventus bounced straight back into the top flight of Italian football following their 5-1 win at Arezzo.
The Turin club, demoted from Serie A and given a nine-point deduction last year following a match-fixing scandal, won Serie B with three games to spare.
Alessandro del Piero and Giorgio Chiellini put Juve 2-0 up, with Floro Flores pulling one back for Arezzo.
Chiellin and Del Piero both added second goals before David Trezeguet completed the scoring.
Juve boss Didier Deschamps said: "I asked the boys to end it today and not to think about the other matches.
"It brings great satisfaction and a lot of joy to everyone involved in this adventure."
Juve were originally demoted with a 30-point handicap, but that deduction was reduced to nine on appeal.
But they managed to hold on to many of their top stars and they stepped up to the plate to play a key role in the title clinching victory.
Gianluigi Buffon, rated the world's top goalkeeper, made an important double save early as Juve struggled to settle.
Del Piero eased their nerves with a superb shot across the keeper following a neat pass from Claudio Marchisio.
Chiellini punished a blunder by Arezzo keeper Nicolas Bremec to head in on 33 minutes, but Antonio Floro Flores exposed a Juve defence that will need rebuilding for the test of Serie A, by pulling one back.
Juve stepped up the pace after the interval and Chiellini finished off Del Piero's free-kick before Del Piero nodded in his second.
Another of Juve's big stars, France international Trezeguet, turned in the fifth.
Source: BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Juventus win Serie B at a canter

finally football will be fun to watch again, whole last year was boring. juve are back, useless pos capello is gone, dechamps is good proven manager. they are setting a good team with some good old experienced players already there.

also their budget for this summer is 75 million pounds, so expect juve to be busy in the market.

FORZA JUVE.

Money has never been and never will be a problem for the Old Lady from Turin. It has been my fav Italian side, largely owing to years of watching Del Piero work his magic.

Would be good to see them back in Europe, hopefully in the 08-09 season..a stage at which they so really deserve to be..again.

O btw i heard that Deschamps might be replaced as he's still too inexperienced to take on the big stage.

i'd choose Juventus over AC milan any day of the week.

btw i heard that Deschamps might be replaced as he's still too inexperienced to take on the big stage

Inexperienced Deschamps ??

wow he lead AS monaco to the CL finals in 2004 and thrashed Deportivo 10-1 during the same campaign.

Thats inexperience ??

woah !!!!!!

but the key players from juve ar sold out na.

I have rarely watched Serie A football.

just started watching coz of Roma and Milan

------------------------------------------------------------------

10-1 thats some match i must watch.

Can u tell me the exact teams please.

Is it AS Monaco Vs Deportivo - CL Final 2004

Is it UEFA CL

sorry my bad :(

it was 8-3. yeah in the group stages. thanks for the correction :)

but the key players from juve ar sold out na.

Except for Cannavaro and Zambrotta, they still have their best players. and with 75 million in the transfer kitty, i think they are gonna be big players in the transfer window

Watch out for some Italian Fireworks next season !! :)

they still will have to pay a lot of money to get some players because theres no CL for them .....so thats a big no-no for some of the big names

maranellored said:
Inexperienced Deschamps ??
wow he lead AS monaco to the CL finals in 2004 and thrashed Deportivo 10-1 during the same campaign.
Thats inexperience ??
woah !!!!!!

So you're basically saying that since he was a manager at the time when Monaco thrashed La Coruna, he's a good manager:S

Mind you, the 5 years he was at Monaco, he didn't manage to win either the domestic league or the cup..That may be acceptable for a team like Monaco (actually not :no: ) but this is Juve we are talking about! Even though Juve is coming back from Serie B this year, they'll still be expected to challenge for and win the Scudetto..Does DD has what it takes to cut it amongst the best managers in the world...We shall see...but I personally don't think so..

Juve = Respect

This was expected, as the bulk of the side was still with them.

Trezeguet,Nedved,ADP,Camoranesi etc..with a squad like that it wudve been a shame if they didnt get back, rumour has it that stephen appiah might be bought back from Fenerbache.

well deshamps leaves juve after last nights game.

all links & roumers leading towards marcello lippi coming back to juve. really really good news.

^ROFL at stormie, according to you whatever happens at Juve happens for good?

its shocking that the gaffer who took them up is fired on the last day of the season...shocking i must say.

Darthcoder said:
^ROFL at stormie, according to you whatever happens at Juve happens for good?

its shocking that the gaffer who took them up is fired on the last day of the season...shocking i must say.

it is not shocking, as it was expected since 2 months. dechamps was not in good relation with the juve board. also whatever happens to juve is good as i am a juve supporter.

also dont tell me that if lippi joins back juve it is not a good thing. he was & is a top manager in europe. when lippi comes top players will also come back to the club, not to forget how lippi recently masterminded italy's world cup triumph.

he was also the best juve coach.

great for serie A. and i am happy for juve too. i think new coach may be lippi. whatever this club has history on its side which is what makes it nice and big club :D

Back