Kaspersky and its tantrums with browsers

So I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed. I have Airtel FTTH. The thing is sometimes site won't open up at first instance when trying to load. It auto-refreshes(after error that "this page cannot be displayed")and then it loads properly. I thought there is issue with Firefox so re-installed it. Nothing changed. I tried with Brave. The problem is more severe on Brave than Firefox.

So I decided to shut down KIS and Brave loaded sites like a normal browser would do. Brave has 7/10 times this issue while Firefox has 3-4/10 times. While I didn't try to see if the issue is replicated on FF after closing down KIS, but I am assuming it would run fine as Brave did.
So how to ensure both KIS and my browsers run in tune with each other?

PS- This issue only in laptop/desktop, not on mobile.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic, but any particular reason you're using a third party anti-virus? Is it an enterprise requirement or similar?

I was using Avast and few months back switched back to KIS, didn't face any issue but there recommendation to install KIS browser extension is killing me. Now I am planning to try some other Antivirus. Any suggestions? For some reason (don't know why) I can't trust windows for Antivirus maybe its because of long history of using third party software

You can try BitDefender. I am using it on mobile and found it to be good, less drain on battery. I shifted to Bitdefender after Kaspersky gave me battery drain issues. So I am assuming desktop version would also be good.

Why not use the default defender instead?
I had awesome exp. with Eset/Nod but not using any av for a long time now as I prefer my own control over things rather than bots..

Still would vouch on default defender.

So I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed. I have Airtel FTTH. The thing is sometimes site won't open up at first instance when trying to load. It auto-refreshes(after error that "this page cannot be displayed")and then it loads properly. I thought there is issue with Firefox so re-installed it. Nothing changed. I tried with Brave. The problem is more severe on Brave than Firefox.

So I decided to shut down KIS and Brave loaded sites like a normal browser would do. Brave has 7/10 times this issue while Firefox has 3-4/10 times. While I didn't try to see if the issue is replicated on FF after closing down KIS, but I am assuming it would run fine as Brave did.
So how to ensure both KIS and my browsers run in tune with each other?

PS- This issue only in laptop/desktop, not on mobile.
I use FF as my primary browser with KIS but never faced any issues like you mentioned. Maybe an incompatible extension is causing the issue?

Why not use the default defender instead?
I had awesome exp. with Eset/Nod but not using any av for a long time now as I prefer my own control over things rather than bots..

Still would vouch on default defender.
Don't want to take a risk after a hell of experience when account got hacked and Orkut, Facebook sent fake vulgar msgs in my name. Ever since Ransonware hit the globe, I just wanted to be extra precautious.
I use FF as my primary browser with KIS but never faced any issues like you mentioned. Maybe an incompatible extension is causing the issue?
It's mostly with Brave. While FF works properly most of times, for some odd reason YT on FF goes nuts. YT just keeps showing buffering and it is sluggish to use. Hence started using Brave for YT.
Extensions!! I have the usual Kaspersky Protection, uBlock, Dark Reader on FF. I don't install too many extensions as it would make FF slow and issues arise when FF gets updated.
I have disabled Kaspersky extension for now and checking if things improve. Brave is practically naked, just Adobe and Google Drive.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have Kaspersky set to inspect https connections. I have that disabled (don't really see a point in having my own AV MITM my comms) and I don't face any issues.
Also I don't use the KIS browser extensions.

Using Vivaldi and Opera.

So this is what I did from last night to see what is the issue..
1. Disabled Kaspersky browser extension. Didn't help.
2. Changed Secure DNS under Brave from current service provider to Open DNS. I must say I was pretty much satisfied with the results. Websites opened quickly and no issues. But today morning, there were some instances when sites failed to open at first go. So still observing.
3. Disabled Kaspersky scanning my https connection as mentioned by @calvin1719 Still observing.
I honestly don't get it why KIS has to be MITM. I mean https is already secured then why be the "kabab mein haddi" guy.

I'd highly suggest avoiding Brave for your browser needs. Last year when this dropped:

... I immediately stopped using Brave. Was using it as my secondary browser.

Recently, after some recommendations from my FB friends, I started using the MS Edge. Chrome is still my primary browser for work. But, for media consumption, Edge kicks everything.

Edge has better much sound output when streaming YouTube & YouTube Music. Sound output on Chrome felt muffled, while Edge sounded cleaner & clearer. And the scrolling on Edge is way smoother than any browser I've used. Furthermore, the UI is also spot-on (better than Chrome).

I'd suggest trying out Edge and see if the problem persists.

So after trying everything mentioned in this thread with no luck, I finally changed my DNS to cloudflare yesterday, and this seems to be working fine for me. Initially, when my connection was setup, there was no issue whatsoever. Then there was this downtime once 20 days after setup and after that this issue started to creep up. Seems like Airtel did something at their end which is causing issue with KIS. Now with Cloudflare, it is working smooth since yesterday.

One thing I also observed, when I changed secure DNS under any chromium-based browser(edge, brave,chrome) and firefox to cloudflare most operated without hiccups 90% of the times. Not anymore.

Back